hermaphrodites

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

hermaphrodites

Post by SUGAAAAA »

"For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God" (1 Corinthians 11:12)

It's quite clear what the reasons for men and women are... But what is God's purpose for hermaphrodites?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

The same reason--to glorify God.
ray
Recognized Member

hermaphrodite

Post by ray »

I don't think the answer is quite that simple. Before you can decide if it is to glorify you God you must decide why it has happened. Some journals conclude that some are the result of some hormones taken during pregnance ( I can't remember which ones ). God can bring glory out of it but I don't think that you say in those instances the hermaphrodite was born to glorify God. Not everything that happens, happened to glorify God. He can bring glory out of it but that is not always the cause.

Ray
jakelo
Recognized Member

Post by jakelo »

I don't think the answer is quite that simple. Before you can decide if it is to glorify you God you must decide why it has happened. Some journals conclude that some are the result of some hormones taken during pregnance ( I can't remember which ones ). God can bring glory out of it but I don't think that you say in those instances the hermaphrodite was born to glorify God. Not everything that happens, happened to glorify God. He can bring glory out of it but that is not always the cause.

Ray
The reason why these things happen to certain people does not change the fact that everyone on earth is here to glorify God. Just because these people are different doesn't mean that they don't have the same spiritual purposes as anyone else. Maybe these people have a different purpose for the people here on earth, but their main purpose for being here in the first place is the same as anyone else's.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

True that...both of you (ray and jakelo).
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

So do you guys believe hermaphrodites are a result of man? I'm having trouble seeing how God would create a person with both gender's reproductive organs when the original intention was a man and a woman.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
thereal
Established Member

Post by thereal »

So do you guys believe hermaphrodites are a result of man?
I don't know if this will add anything to the discussion or if you're only considering human hermaphrodites, but hermaphrodites occur naturally in many species of animals. In these cases it does not appear to be the result of contamination or other human intrusion, but rather it is a biological response to limited numbers of a certain sex within a population.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

thereal wrote:
So do you guys believe hermaphrodites are a result of man?
I don't know if this will add anything to the discussion or if you're only considering human hermaphrodites, but hermaphrodites occur naturally in many species of animals. In these cases it does not appear to be the result of contamination or other human intrusion, but rather it is a biological response to limited numbers of a certain sex within a population.
Some organisms only exist as hermaphrodytes.

In humans several mechanisms cause a child to become a boy or a girl. This condition occurs when something along the pathways goes awry.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
omimanordude

Post by omimanordude »

I may speaking in ignorance here, but I have never heard of a case where a hermaphadite can impregnate and give birth as well. I am not sure, but maybe God intended it that that person follow the laws and commandments of man or woman according to the functional organs that he recieved. However, I think there may be cases where neither organs are functional, where I really don't know. Someone please expand on this.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

omimanordude wrote:I may speaking in ignorance here, but I have never heard of a case where a hermaphadite can impregnate and give birth as well. I am not sure, but maybe God intended it that that person follow the laws and commandments of man or woman according to the functional organs that he recieved. However, I think there may be cases where neither organs are functional, where I really don't know. Someone please expand on this.
From what I've seen there aren't any real hermaphadites (when it comes to humans and their reproductive organs).. Just a women with some male parts. Functionally, she has a womb though and cannot produce sperm but she still can produce eggs. Therefore she is functionally a female... With a male he may have a few female parts. Still functionally he can produce sperm but cannot produce eggs... Therefore he is functionally a male..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8