purpose driven life

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

purpose driven life

Post by Prodigal Son »

i've just started the purpose driven life. i'm on chapter two. anyone else read or reading it?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I have it, but I haven't read it yet. I typically read books in one or two sittings... I'm not disciplined enough to do little bits every day like he recommends.

I'll probably go through it in the summer . . . how are you liking it so far?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

i like it alot. having the same problem, though. it's horribly difficult to read just one chapter a day. i think i'm going to end up cheating and read ahead! any good books to recommend?
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

Good book, but I would recommend a reading of the scriptures quoted, in the intended context. I did cheat by reading two chapters at a time - well structured and easy to read book.
Maranatha!
Anonymous

Re: purpose driven life

Post by Anonymous »

colors wrote:i've just started the purpose driven life. i'm on chapter two. anyone else read or reading it?
Hi Colors!
I am going to get it as a Christmas present.
Ive heard it's pretty good!
bob2010
Recognized Member

Post by bob2010 »

i think there are a couple of copies floating around my house.
my church did a series going along with the book last year. didnt really keep up.
Prodigal Son

chapter two

Post by Prodigal Son »

in chapter two when it talks about us not being accidents...do you guys think God chose in advance, everything that would occur in our lives? or by giving us free will left it slightly to chance (just chose who we'd meet, etc.)?
bob2010
Recognized Member

Post by bob2010 »

i dont thing God acutally chose anything. but i would say that he knows what we are going to do.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

this book is getting challenging :?
Mystic
Acquainted Member

Post by Mystic »

Hey wassup,

I read most of this book myself not to long ago. This has a lot one can learn from. Though, my MAIN idea about destiny is this.

GOD has set for us a destiny TO BE ACHIEVED. That is we can ALL be guided by GOD Himself, IF WE CHOOSE TO. I really thought about what the book is trying to say the purpose of Life is (To please GOD) But I also believe that GOD wants us to be pleased, so HIS plans for us go even further our wildest dreams. I constantly hear people who achieved great and beautiful things say "I never would have thought it would go THIS far." I believe this is so b\c GOD likes to give extra surprises haha.

I believe we all have a purpose to be attained. Its a choice. "If you seek it you shall find it" I believe GOD wants you to have the things you want, b\c the reason you want those specific things is because of the way HE made you. Like if you want to be a super successful actor, musician, or other artist. He made you with artistic gifts. Or if you want to be CEO of great company- HE made you with great talents for those, or HE gave you the gift of being a great communicator and thus you want to give public speeches to the world and help motivate others (great example is Tony Robbins- GREAT guy).
I believe that the purpose of life is to enrich your life, your neighbors' lives, and your worship and relationship with GOD with all your talents, skills, knowledge, faith, love, imagination, and everything else that makes you.....you. And at the same time HE want you to break any and all chains that limit you....limiting beliefs.

This is my take on the purpose.

~Mystic
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

i think you're right.

i am having problems with the questions at the end of the chapters. i understand them but can't answer them! :) :(
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

How about if we do a purpose driven life study on this site.

All involved would read a chapter a week (due to different peoples schedules) and at the end of the week we can do questions and answers from the chapters. With a discussion?

We can have a thread only for this purpose.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

JCSx2 wrote:How about if we do a purpose driven life study on this site.

All involved would read a chapter a week (due to different peoples schedules) and at the end of the week we can do questions and answers from the chapters. With a discussion?

We can have a thread only for this purpose.
It sounds like a cool idea. I would have to decline, however, as I'm already involved with a weekly small group which involves it's own reading...as well as trying to read the bible through in a year.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Don't think they were talking to you anyway... y/:)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Don't think they were talking to you anyway... y/:)
Oh, I'm sorry. :oops: I just assumded it was posted to everyone. y#-o
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?