Teaching and learning the biblical languages

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Teaching and learning the biblical languages

Post by Jac3510 »

So I've got a sort of general question that I've been asking people for awhile, and I wanted to pose it here and get your general thoughts. Why don't Christians feel the need to learn biblical Greek and Hebrew? Of course, it would be difficult for this present generation for obvious reasons. But you can teach children this stuff with ease. Besides that, both Jews and Muslims have their children reading their Scriptures in Hebrew and Arabic respectively by the time they are thirteen! Shouldn't we be at least as committed to the Truth as they are to their religious ideas?

It wouldn't be at all difficult. I worked in a Korean church for about three years, and one of the things they did was give the children Korean classes once a week, because growing up in America, English was becoming their first language. The same idea could be applied in our churches. So why not? The benefits would be astronomical, wouldn't they? Our children would be able to read the Word of God as He intended it to be read, and as one who is currently learning Greek, I can tell you that it makes a HUGE difference. Besides that, it would improve their secular education as well. They would have access to the great classics, and their grasp of communication and language in general would greatly improve. It wasn't until recently that classical Greek stopped being taught in Europe, and I believe that it was taught in America for some time as well at the primary levels . . .

So, I'm thinking about teaching Greek to kids next year. What are y'all's thoughts on the matter?

Thanks
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

That sounds awesome Jac However why not go one step beyond and teach the parents to teach their Kids? Then you will have Parents who know the Greek, Hebrew... and then the Next Generation. Of course teach the Kids too but give the option to the parents as well :wink:
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by kateliz »

I love that idea. It's one I could get all passionate about.

I've had intentions on teaching myself Biblical Greek and Hebrew, and bought myself an introductory book, (with plans on getting software if I actually finished the book- thus proving that I'd make use of them!) Haven't gotten anywhere with it yet, but God just dropped a real Bible study into my lap, (the one at my church mostly consists of my pastor giving another sermon... he loves to talk,) and we'll be getting into the original languages somewhat. I'm all excited because I've been petitioning God for such a Bible study.

I would've loved to have been one of those kids. And if God ever blesses me with my own, you've now given me the determination to give them what I wasn't given.

May God be glorified by these attempts!
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by kateliz »

But speaking of that, I've recently read a few quotes of the founders of colleges that were originally meant to educate men as Christians and for Christ's work. Doesn't it just ache to think what's become of such institutes? Whatever happened to those good old notions? I don't think that even current Christian colleges fully capture the intentions of the old ones.

Revival! Let the streets ring out with hearts pounding loudly for Christ! Let our nations be turned towards the King of Kings!

I've been pondering something for a few years now, but with no good solution. How do you protect a Christian organization from becoming secular as time goes by, leaderships change, and cultures less accepting of Christianity? What kind of walls would you need to build up around them to keep the waters of secularism out? Too many good organizations and movements that ended up being denominations have been victim to them. How does one effectively safegaurd against such atrocities?