Gifts of the Spirit

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Gifts of the Spirit

Post by IRQ Conflict »

I believe that the "divers kinds of tongues"and the "interpretation of tongues" were not only for the apostles, but also for those that followed after their teachings and being baptized both by water, as to witness, and by the Spirit.

I am looking for others to comment on this as some point to scriptures that seem to be out of context and refute that idea. They say that it was only for the apostles so they would need no interpreter when witnessing in foreign parts of the world before the Word (new Testament) was written.

I point to this scripture in particular to support my belief that thee 'gift of tongues' is for today as well.

1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

If you know of others that support my belief, please share them. :)

God Bless!
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

No takers eh? :)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Long but worth it, if you are interested in what the Bible has to say about speaking in tounges.

1 Corinthians 14
1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

38But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

40Let all things be done decently and in order.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

8) thanks Jbuza. With so much evidence to support talking in tongues is for this age as was with any other, I wonder why people, or how people can say it isn't?
Hellfire

Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

I'm not sure esp. When the passage specifically says to not forbid it. IT is interesting to note that the Bible says to keep it to yourself if their is not someone to interpret it. I have heard some stories about pentacostal services, that make me wonder.

But Hey it says don't forbid it, so what can you do.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I dont think the gifts have ceased.

evidence of various Christian groups and fathers using the Gifts if the Spirit exists, since the early 1st century, until now.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... w-Ch11.htm
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Just have to be carefull and dicern what is Holy Spirit and what is holey spirit ;)
"'Babylon will be a heap of ruins, a haunt of jackals, an object of horror and scorn, a place where no one lives. Her people all roar like young lions, they growl like lion cubs. But while they are aroused, I will set out a feast for them and make them drunk, so that they shout with laughter--then sleep forever and not awake'", declares the Lord. 'I will bring them down like lambs to the slaughter...'" [God Almighty. Jer 51:37-40 (NIV)]
I have attended many meetings "laughing seminars" "Wind and Fire" and such oddities in our old church. A lot of strange things. At the time I didn't know enough to refute it as unbiblical, yea, even satanic. I alway's knew I was on the conservitive side of things, but all this rolling on the floor, screamming and laughing after being touched mid section by Elias Antonas. I just 'didn't get it'. So I left church in pursuit of partying and other such nonsense. A few years later I married and started going back to church till I found the pastor using explicit language at the pulpit. That was 9 years ago :( Hopefully I'll find a new church in this new town...
But there is another side to this story. Many people are reporting encounters with very deceptive, powerful and high level demonic spirits in these same meetings, especially those that feature drunkenness, shakings, animal noises and general pandemonium. There is at the least, an enormous amount of confusing flesh involved in the "manifestations" controversy. And it is for these kinds of reasons that many Christians caught in the middle, especially those hungry yet unfamiliar with the things of the Spirit, are in a lot of anxiety about what to believe.
But Praise The Lord for His mercy and guidance, and for all those people who stick to the word and test the spirits. I have come to know the Truth! And am free! :)
Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink. For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, pray thee: and he saith, I cannot: for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men; Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." (Isaiah 29:9-14)
Here is something I found, I haven't read all but the last page, so far seems in line.
Hellfire

authentic
Familiar Member

Post by authentic »

the gifts of the spirit have not ceised, including tongues, but it is not required to be saved. Those who say that it is a requirement unto salvation have misinterpreted the scriptures. for the scriptures say:

I Corinthians 12

28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

this clearly means that tongues is a gift that not everyone has.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Yes, that's how I interpret it as well. I was taught from about age 10 to speak in tongues after a water baptism.

To pray in the Spirit, and the Spirit as an intercessor to God on my behalf, which I still do to this day. I took it on faith I had the gift and ran with it.

I think as long as you don't manifest any demonic signs your safe.
For me it's alway's been a simple personal prayer of faith.
Hellfire

andy
Acquainted Member

Post by andy »

hmm...speaking in tougues in this times is very very common.
and lots of people have lots of believes whether Christians now can still speak in tougues... for me, i think and feel tat speaking in tougues is no longer needed and stopped....
Firstly - because the Bible is translated into many many kinds of languages

Secondly - speaking in tougues in the NT need not to be taught cos it purely the Works of the Holy Spirit not like now it need to be taught

Thirdly - Tougues is a language(like english, french, german etc), not some language only God understands...

Forthly - the Bible says all the miracles and speaking in tougues have already stopped after the Apostles Age...while we are in the Church Age

*Sorry i might have offended some tougues speaking Christians...and all above is my thinking and feeling of the practise of tougue speaking...just wanted to share my views-----No hard feeling
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

andy wrote: the Bible says all the miracles and speaking in tougues have already stopped after the Apostles Age...while we are in the Church Age
only have to say is where...and dont say 1 Corinthians 13:8 8)
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Here is some interesting info on the subject. At least something to think about concerning Mark 16:17 where it discusses speaking in tongues as well as faith healing. (I had the below part quoted, but the text seems so small I decided not to)

A sign gift is just that - it is a sign! Question is: Who are the sign gifts for? According to Mark 16:17-20 & Exodus 4:1-9 & Acts 2:22 & 3:1-12 (the entire book of Acts) & Hebrews 2:4, the sign gifts (i.e., tongues, miracles, and miraculous healings), were always performed by a Jew for the sole purpose of confirming the Word to “unbelieving” Jews (See - I Cor 14:22). In Mark 16:15, our LORD commanded His eleven Jewish apostles to go and witness for Him. He then told them that miraculous signs would follow their witnessing efforts (vss 17-20). During the course of the book of Acts, the Jewish apostles and deacons (Stephen and Philip) obeyed the LORD'S command to go and witness for Him and a total number of fifteen recorded cases of either a tongue, miracle, or miraculous healing was performed by those who obeyed the command to preach the Gospel. In every case, not only did a Jew perform the miracles, but there were Jews present or involved in the miracles themselves. In every case but two, there was “recorded” witnessing being done on the part of the Jew performing the miracles. For example:
1. Acts 2:1-22 - Peter and the disciples witness to the unbelieving Jews from around the world in their own languages (vss 6-11)
2. Acts 3:1-19 - Peter and John heal a Jewish lame man in Jerusalem (vss 1-11) and then witness to the unbelieving Jews (vss 12-19)
3. Acts 5:12-16 - The Jewish apostles perform many signs before the unbelieving Jews in Jerusalem and then witness to them
4. Acts 6:7-10 - The Jewish Christians witness to the unbelieving Jews (vs 7) and then Stephen performs wonders among them (vs 8)
5. Acts 8:5-8 - Philip witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Samaria (vs 5) and performs miracles among them (vss 6-8)
6. Acts 8:9-13 - Philip witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Samaria and performs more miracles among them
7. Acts 9:32-35 - Peter heals a Jewish man named Ae/ne/as in Lydda and then witnesses to the people there (vs 35)
8. Acts 9:36-42 - Peter raises a Jewish woman named Dorcas from the dead in Joppa and then witnesses to the people there (vs 42)
9. Acts 13:6-12 - Paul blinds a Jewish man named Barjesus in Paphos and then witnesses to the people there (vs 12)
10. Acts 14:1-3 - Paul witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Iconium (vs 1) and perform signs and wonders among them (vs 3)
11. Acts 14:8-20 - Paul witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Lystra (vss 8-9) and heals an impotent man among the Jews (vs 19)
12. Acts 16:12-18 - Paul witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Philippi (vss 12-13) and casts out a demon among them (vs 18)
13. Acts 19:8-13 - Paul witnesses to the unbelieving Jews in Ephesus (vss 8-10) and performs miracles among them (vss 11-13)
14. Acts 28:1-6 - Paul is bitten by a serpent (Mk 16:18) on the island of Melita and is miraculously healed before the shipwrecked Jews
15) Acts 28:7-9 - Paul heals many of the islanders (in front of the shipwrecked Jews)

"Them that believe" refer to the disciples in verse 15. If they (i.e., the Jewish disciples) obeyed the call to preach the Gospel, then God would confirm their word with signs following (vs 20). Just as Moses used signs in order to convince the unbelieving Jews of his day that what he had to say to them was of God (See - Exo 4:1-9), so the Jewish disciples would use signs to confirm their words to unbelieving Jews of their day. Reason being: the unbelieving Jews, not Gentiles, require a sign (See - I Cor 1:22 & 14:22).

The Greek word that is used for the word “new” here in Mark 16:17 is the word kai/nos (i.e., not brand new). Which means that these languages (i.e., tongues that these disciples were promised to speak) would not be some brand new heavenly angelic language that had never been spoken before by men here on earth. Rather, these languages would be old, known, established, earthly languages (i.e., Parthian, Median, Elamian, etc. - Acts 2:8-11) that were “new” (i.e., kai/nos) to the disciples who were about to speak them. The key to understanding New Testament “tongues” is knowing the use of the word “new” in Mark 16:17.

According to the Bible, there are six different Greek words that are translated “new” in the New Testament. They are:

1. Ne/os - meaning, “brand new” - Colo 3:10
2. Kai/nos - meaning, “not brand new, but rather new to the ones who are about to put it into practice (i.e., use) - Jn 13:34
3. Pros/pa/tos - meaning, “at this time” - Heb 10:20
4. Glue/kos - meaning, “sweet or fresh” - Acts 2:13
5. Noo/me/ni - translated, “new moon” - Colo 2:16
6. Ag/na/phos - meaning, “virgin-new” - Mt 9:16 & Mk 2:21

For example, Jesus said in John 13:34, “A new (i.e., kai/nos) commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another...” We know according to Leviticus 19:18 that loving one another was not a new commandment. Rather it became new to the disciples who were about to put it into practice. In Mk 2:22, the bottle is referred to as being a “new” (i.e., kai/nos) bottle. Yet, according to it's usage, the bottle was not a brand new bottle, only a bottle that could hold brand new (i.e., ne/os) wine. The bottle (although not new) became new in its usage because of the new (i.e., ne/os) wine that was put into it. It was not the bottle that was new, but it's use!

Instantaneous miraculous healing by the hand of God is one of the most enchanting aspects of possibility. According to I Corinthians 12:9, healing someone miraculously is a spiritual gift given by the SPIRIT to certain believers for the sole purpose of gaining the attention of unbelievers in order to confirm the Word of God to them (vs 20 & I Cor 14:22). According to Mark 16:17-18, the ability to instantaneously and miraculously heal someone was a part of the sign gifts (vs 17). And, if you possessed one of the sign gifts, you possessed them all. Question is: “Why are those who say they have the gift of speaking in tongues not able to heal and perform miracles as well?” If they possess one of the sign gifts, according to Mark 16:17-20, they should possess them all. There are five biblical “common sense” factors concerning instantaneous miraculous healings:
1) Healing is always temporary (See - Heb 9:27). If it were God's will that everyone be healed every time, no one would ever die - ever. According to the Bible, that is an unscriptural approach. Psalm 116:15 says, “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” Outside of CHRIST, no one who was ever raised from the dead stayed alive (See footnote on I Ki 17:22). In fact, no one who was ever healed stayed healed. Eventually they all grew old, had more health problems, and died. The gift to heal was not only temporary; it was only used for the sake of confirming the Word to “unbelieving” Jews (vs 20 & I Cor 14:22).
2) Healing is at the “bottom” of the gift list in importance (See - I Cor 12:28). The reason healing is at the “bottom” of the gift list in importance is that it's temporal. Physical healers are never as important as spiritual healers (i.e., apostles, prophets, etc.).
3) Healing is determined by God's Word (i.e., His will), not ours (See - I Jn 5:14 & II Cor 12:7-10 & II Sam 12:14-22). Unfortunately, multitudes of believers are under the impression by “faith healers” that a failure to get healed during one of their “healing service” is the fault of the one who did not have enough faith to be healed. Faith healers are not about to take the blame for someone not getting healed. However, this kind of thinking clearly contradicts the teachings on healing within the Scriptures. For example, the Centurion's servant (See - Mt 8:5-8,13) had absolutely nothing to do with his own healing, nor did the man sick of the palsy in Mark 2:1-12, nor did the lame man in Acts 3:6-8, nor did Naaman in II Kings 5. Healing in the end is always determined by God's will (which is always determined by His Word — Jonah 1:3a), not the will of the individual. Paul could tell you that (See - II Cor 12:7-10). (See also - II Sam 12:22 & Joel 2:12-14 & Jonah 3:4-9).
4) Those with the gift of healing should be able to heal at anytime (See - I Cor 14:32). Question: If those with the gift of healing are able to heal at anytime, then how come they don't go to the hospitals and start healing? Where's THEIR faith?
5) Miraculous healing is a part of the sign gifts meant for “unbelieving” Jews (See footnote on Mk 16:17a,b,c). (See also - I CORINTHIANS “MINI SERIES” — Lessons #4 & #5)
I am convinced that God can, does, and will answer prayer concerning healing, and the answer may be, “Yes,” when it is His purpose so to do. However, healing should be requested before the pastors of a local church. James 5:14 says “…call for the elders of the church.” He did not say, “Call for the faith healers of the day.” To run to a faith healer is to do your will, not God's!
-----------------------------

I am not sure if it all follows correctly (especially when it comes to the part that if you have one of the sign gifts you have all three). But I know at least some of it makes sense. What do you think?
Now I do not thinks this indicates that speaking in tongues is no longer around, but if someone can do it, they would also have the gift of healing and miracles
andy
Acquainted Member

Post by andy »

Who are the sign gifts for?

according to the scriptures quoted, Jesus told his disciples to go into all the world, telling everyone that he had paid the penalty of Sin and that those who believe in Him can be forgiven and live eternally with God. so Jesus send his Holy Spirit to strengthen his disciples hearts and give them gifts of the holy spirit((i.e., tongues, miracles, and miraculous healings) to preach the gospel to the world at that time...

For now, God gives us Spiritual Gift for our lives on earth in order to build up, serve and strenthen fellow Christian community. The Spiritual Gifts are for the Church(i.e., Christians cos the Bible say Christian make up the Church, and the Head of the Church is Jesus Christ). In eternity, we weill be made prefect nad complete and will be in the presence of God. At that time, we no longer need Spiritual Gifts, so they will come to an end...

BTW having Spirtual Gifts is NOT the most important thing a Christian muz have...You muz be wondering why?.. well, let me explain, in the Church of the Corinthians, Paul give evidence of the Corinthians' lack of LOVE in the utilization of Spiritual Gifts, in 1 Corinthians chap 13 defines REAL LOVE and chap 14 show how LOVE works...LOVE is the more important the all other Spiritual Gifts exercised in the Church body. Great Faith acts dedication or sacrifice, and miracle works power produce very little without LOVE... LOVE make our actions and gifts useful... Although people have different gifts, LOVE is the greatest among all...
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Clearly the gifts are for today. So why don't we see the gifts of the Spirit in the church?

As the world sees Christians and the church, they see us with zero power. What is the church lacking that it can't produce the gifts?

Just wondering what you guys thought.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

led wrote:Clearly the gifts are for today. So why don't we see the gifts of the Spirit in the church?

As the world sees Christians and the church, they see us with zero power. What is the church lacking that it can't produce the gifts?

Just wondering what you guys thought.
I think Andy already answered that :wink: