Morals or standards?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
LadyHel
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Morals or standards?

Post by LadyHel »

I wish for someone to define morality, as I feel I must have a skewed version of what it means.

I always felt that morality was not doing something because you have been told it is wrong without giving it any thought. I'm a little worried by the idea that I would run my life by what I have been told is wrong. It kind of makes me feel that I am not trusted to make the "right" descisions.
Therefore, I consider my amoral (not immoral.) Instead, I have standards, which I feel are stronger than any moral could be. I have looked at something and decided that it is absolutely not for me. To do it would be lowering my standards and therefore debasing myself- something I could never do.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Standards
Something, such as a practice or a product, that is widely recognized or employed, especially because of its excellence.
Morals
Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
So, our standard would be based on whatever we deem moraly correct.
You can have a set of moral examples and to what degree you follow those examples would be your standard.

It's not Morals or standards. It is what morals are your standards based on. :)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Standards
Something, such as a practice or a product, that is widely recognized or employed, especially because of its excellence.
Morals
Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
So, our standard would be based on whatever we deem moraly correct.
You can have a set of moral examples and to what degree you follow those examples would be your standard.

It's not Morals or standards. It is what morals are your standards based on. :)

Morals need to be based on something, if not, the morals that teach - anything goes leads to chaos of the soul and body.

Thnink on it for awhile

:?:
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Thats correct BW, I was trying not to give guide to morality, rather show the differance ;)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Wall-dog
Established Member

Post by Wall-dog »

LadyHel,

Perhaps it would help if you framed your belief somewhat. Do you believe that your standards are something you came up with on your own or something that exists externally that you have a legitimate ethical obligation to abide by?