1 Corinthians 15:28

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
YLTYLT
Established Member

1 Corinthians 15:28

Post by YLTYLT »

And when all things shall be subdued unto HIM, then shall the SON also himself be subject unto HIM that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

I recently read this commentary on this verse. Can I get some opinions on it. Make sure you read all of it.
This word (subject) is a Greek word that is a military term and means “to rank under; to give yourself to that which you have placed yourself under.” One day after the Millennium, CHRIST, will forever place Himself in a lower order (i.e., rank) under the FATHER. The SECOND PERSON of the Triune Godhead will do this for two reasons: 1) To satisfy the eternal price He had to pay for us at Calvary. CHRIST did more than just suffer inhumanly on Calvary; He gave up His equality with deity for all eternity because of His love for humanity (See footnote on Phil 2:6 & Jn 20:17). We must remember, however, that CHRIST never sacrificed His deity at Calvary, only his equality with Deity, 2) To illustrate for us what real submission is all about. If God can submit, then so should we.

Phil 2:6

6 WHO, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Up until the last three hours on the cross when He paid for the sins of mankind, CHRIST had always been equal with God (See - Jn 5:18). However, because of his love for humanity, CHRIST gave up his equality with deity for all eternity. We must remember that CHRIST never sacrificed His deity at Calvary, only his equality with Deity because of His love for humanity.

Jn 20:17-18

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, 5I ascend unto my FATHER, and your Father; and to my GOD, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the LORD, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

Notice carefully the statement that CHRIST made. He never said, “I ascend unto our FATHER and our God.” He clearly said, “I ascend unto my FATHER, and your Father; and to my GOD, and your God.” CHRIST made it clear that he had a different relationship with the FATHER than we do. His relationship, according to numerous passages, was one of equality with divinity. The Jews caught the implication, called it blasphemy, and sought to have him killed on more than one occasion (See - Mk 2:1-7 & footnote on Jn 5:17,18 & 10:30,33).

Again, GOD THE FATHER is not JESUS CHRIST'S God (or even Creator) as some cults teach. Whereas “my FATHER” is the language of deity , my GOD is the language of humanity . In CHRIST'S humanity he voluntarily emptied himself of all of his privileges as God and subjected himself to human limitations so as to be an example to us in every area (See - Jn 13:1-15 & I Pet 2:21 & I Jn 2:6 & Phil 2:5-8). The FATHER, the SON, and the HOLY SPIRIT are three distinct co-eternal persons, called the GODHEAD. They are all equally God and each ONE is worthy of our worship (See - Jn 4:20-25 & 9:35-38).
What do you think? Has any one ever heard this before? And do you see any issues with it?

I have not found any significant commentaries on this verse. The man that wrote the above says there really are not any that address its use of the word "subject" here. Most commentaries seem to completely ignore the verse and talk about everything around it.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: 1 Corinthians 15:28

Post by B. W. »

YLTYLT, you forgot to quote the work and the author [rule of the Forum].

Can you cite the source so we can check it out before commenting?

Let me dig around my personal Library - I have several that discuss this passage and I'll get back with you on this topic.
-
-
-
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Well, its from a study Bible that has not yet been published. They're still working on all the typos, and other small errors.
It is fully comprehensive, with cross references, red letter, KJV, comentary notes. And it highlights in red each reference to Christ, in Blue each reference to the Father and in Purple each reference to the Holy Spirit. Even when it s just a pronoun or a symbol that is representative of one of these. It is truly an amazing reference work. But I expect it will be a prettty big Bible.

The Author's Name is Brad Strand. I am looking forward to his Bible comig out. I will be getting one. I have the current version (typos and all)of it in the form of multiple word documents.
andy
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by andy »

1 CORINTHIANS 15:28
Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

Firstly, we have to know the differences between God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit...All of them is God...
- Father, Son & Holy Spirit is One God
- the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is not the Father... Understand..?? That all abt the Holy Trinity

Basically
the Father, Son and Holy Spirit all has a different "work" to do and a sovereign control
- the Father is in control of all things happening in the world like evil, sin etc until He sends Jesus Christ to the world again.
- the Son is send by the Father to the world to defeat sin and death on the cross, and in the final days defeat Satan and this Followers
- the Holy Spirit job is to give us as christians the power involves courage, boldness, confidence, insight, ability and authority in our everyday lives

hmm...have i answered yr question..???
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I can see what he is trying to say but I'm not convinced that he has provided a good enough argument that Christ has given up His "equality with Diety"...whatever that means. :roll:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

FFC, I and the author (I think) would agree with all that you said about the Trinity.

But the real question if about the meaning of the phrase "the Son Himself will also be subject to Him" in that verse. And the idea that it means to rank under.

I have heard some speak of this as an administrative subjection.
In much the same way that the wife VOLUNTARILY submits to the leadership of a GODLY husband even though they are both equal. One needs to be a leader or there may be chaos. But that starts a whole new discussion, on which I had not planned.

But I have heard the author say that, prior to the birth of Jesus, Christ was only spirit, but that when He was resurrected, he confined himself to a body for eternity. Mind you that it was still a glorified body and it did not affect his position in the Trinity at all. And this was a SELF subjection, not something out of his control, but to honor a promise.

I know this may challenge some people's idea's. And I am not completely convinced on this part. And as the author admits, it is just his opinion and it is not a heaven or hell issue.

But if this is the case, then this is even a greater sacrifice than anyone on earth could possibly imagine. No one could measure how great Christ's love was for humanity. And so much more a reason to be truly thankful for what Christ did for us.

Just some thoughts..... tell me what you think??
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I have heard some speak of this as an administrative subjection.
In much the same way that the wife VOLUNTARILY submits to the leadership of a GODLY husband even though they are both equal. One needs to be a leader or there may be chaos. But that starts a whole new discussion, on which I had not planned.
Yes, subjection and submission do seem to get a bad rap. I agree more with your statement.

I have always believed that the Son has always been willingly subject to the Father as in the case when the Father sent Him to earth to die for us and he willingly agreed to give his life. I don't believe that Jesus' oneness and equality in any sense with the father was, nor ever will be in question.

However I do agree with you that Jesus taking on a "physical" resurrected body for all eternity is a testament and a reminder to us of His great love for us. What a visual reminder those nail prints and spear mark will be, and imagine the praise and glory to God that will follow every time we see them.