Anything in my name

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Anything in my name

Post by FFC »

John 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do [it].
What does this verse mean? Was it just for the disciples? It doesn't seem to always hold true. Any ideas?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Anything in my name

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:
What does this verse mean? Was it just for the disciples? It doesn't seem to always hold true. Any ideas?
When you ask for something in Christ's name, it is not referring to a magic formula of Words to say to make something happen.

When you are "in the name of Christ," you've accepted Him as savior, elevated His will above your own and are seeking to promote His Kingdom, then His will is in effect yours and you are asking for right things, for the right purpose and with right motives. God answers those prayers favorably because in effect, you are asking Him to do what He in His Sovereignty wishes to accomplish through you.

The fact that so many carnal christian ministries seek to use this passage out of that context to entice people to see God as the Giant Coke machine in the sky who will take your prayer and give you what you want in accordance with your own selfish, fleshly desires is sad.

Greed and a desire for power for what it does for yourself, is not in line with Christ's model as a Servant-Leader. Those who pervert it so, deserve what I believe Christ will have to say to them at some point in the future.

It's taken me a long time to come to understand this. I used to be in the midst of one of these types of ministries. I've since learned better.

Sorry if that comes across too strong, but that's how I see it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:

When you ask for something in Christ's name, it is not referring to a magic formula of Words to say to make something happen.

When you are "in the name of Christ," you've accepted Him as savior, elevated His will above your own and are seeking to promote His Kingdom, then His will is in effect yours and you are asking for right things, for the right purpose and with right motives. God answers those prayers favorably because in effect, you are asking Him to do what He in His Sovereignty wishes to accomplish through you.

The fact that so many carnal christian ministries seek to use this passage out of that context to entice people to see God as the Giant Coke machine in the sky who will take your prayer and give you what you want in accordance with your own selfish, fleshly desires is sad.

Greed and a desire for power for what it does for yourself, is not in line with Christ's model as a Servant-Leader. Those who pervert it so, deserve what I believe Christ will have to say to them at some point in the future.

It's taken me a long time to come to understand this. I used to be in the midst of one of these types of ministries. I've since learned better.

RIGHT ON! AMEN! HALLELUIAH! PRAISE THE LORD! (did I convey my feelings adequately?). I would summarize the verse as follows: Ask not what God can do for you ('cause he's already done plenty). Ask what you can do in the name of Christ ('cause you can't praise him enough).
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:

Excellent answer! and Amen!
-
-
-