Logical Positivism? I think someone made a booboo

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Logical Positivism? I think someone made a booboo

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

Ok so i think there might be some confusion on the subject of logical positivism.
I myself, am a bit confused. However, I do know that it is not based upon the five senses...that's imperism.

All i remember about logical positivism is that upon discussing matters one has to go about doing so in a particular way...lol

If n e one can maybe shine some light that would be fanstinkintastic.

Truly,
Grace isn't enough
I found that by being an annoying person you're less annoyed by people.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

From Wikipedia:

Logical positivism (later referred to as logical empiricism, rational empiricism, or neo-positivism) is a philosophy that combines positivism—which states that the only authentic knowledge is scientific knowledge—with a version of apriorism—the notion that some propositional knowledge can be had without, or “prior to”, experience.

Logical positivism denied the soundness of metaphysics and traditional philosophy, and affirmed that statements about metaphysics, religion and ethics are devoid of cognitive meaning and thus nothing but expression of feelings or desires; only statements about mathematics, logic and natural sciences have a definite meaning.

Logical positivism originated in the Vienna Circle in the 1920s, where Rudolf Carnap, Otto Neurath, and others (see Philosophers associated with logical positivism in this article) divided meaningful statements into those which are analytic (true a priori), and those which are synthetic (verified by sensory experience, a posteriori) - this was perhaps presaged by Hume's fork. Logical positivism refuted synthetic a priori knowledge: an evident criticism to Kantian philosophy.

Logical positivism holds that philosophy should aspire to the rigor of science. Philosophy should provide strict criteria for judging sentences true, false, and meaningless.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

wow i was startin to think i'd have to just resign as ignorant on this topic forever lol

Thanks for respondin,' you've been a great help...

So is it Emperism that is in fact a self refruting principle?
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

FFC, check your PM Inbox, it might be full. I sent you another PM yesterday but it's still in my outbox. You might have to delete some message from your inbox (and outbox).

(sorry for the off-topic post, but I had no way of reaching him).

Edited 10:30 a.m. Never mind.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

hey no problem...and thanks for choosing my thread...