Smoking

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Smoking

Post by FFC »

Is smoking a sin? Let me clarify...is smoking cigarettes a sin?
miller
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by miller »

Assuming a person is of age no it's not a sin.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

miller wrote:Assuming a person is of age no it's not a sin.
Falls under the issue of personal conscience in my mind.

Not illegal (assuming you are of age).

Known to harm the body however, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

I see it as a sin for me personally. I don't impose that standard on anyone else.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

If it doesn't feed the soul and tempts the body it is a sin.

The body is a temple.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Re: Smoking

Post by ryo dokomi »

FFC wrote:Is smoking a sin? Let me clarify...is smoking cigarettes a sin?
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:If it doesn't feed the soul and tempts the body it is a sin.

The body is a temple.
i agree. if you are of age, then it is legal acording to the laws of man. however, We as christians are the Temple and Dwellingplace of OUR GOD. that right there would make me not smoke. however, you would also have to ask yourself, "is driking alcohol a sin?" the answer is obviously a no, but to a point. Christ all the his desciples drank wine, but said not to get drunk. Alcohol is harmful to the body. so, why isnt it a sin.

if anything that is harmful to the body would be made a sin if you take it in, then most everything in the world is harmful. so, its more of a question of what isnt a sin...but thats another question. ^_^
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
miller
Acquainted Member

Post by miller »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Known to harm the body however, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:The body is a temple.
You both have taken this verse out of context, it is about sexual immorality and nothing else. In fact it refutes you by saying all other sins are outside the body.

1 Corinthians 6
"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food," but God will do away with both the one and the other. The body, however, is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body;
God raised the Lord and will also raise us by his power.
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take Christ's members and make them the members of a prostitute? Of course not!
(Or) do you not know that anyone who joins himself to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For "the two," it says, "will become one flesh."
But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body.
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.

Where is this in scripture?
I see it as a sin for me personally. I don't impose that standard on anyone else.
If something is a sin for you it's a sin for all of us and you ought to impose that standard.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

miller wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Known to harm the body however, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:The body is a temple.
You both have taken this verse out of context, it is about sexual immorality and nothing else. In fact it refutes you by saying all other sins are outside the body.

1 Corinthians 6
"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food," but God will do away with both the one and the other. The body, however, is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body;
God raised the Lord and will also raise us by his power.
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take Christ's members and make them the members of a prostitute? Of course not!
(Or) do you not know that anyone who joins himself to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For "the two," it says, "will become one flesh."
But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body.
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.

Where is this in scripture?
If something is a sin for you it's a sin for all of us and you ought to impose that standard.
Please tell me how you know, from the context of this passage, that this applies only to sexual sin.

Further, as to sins of conscience, perhaps you can explain how your statement relates to this passage?

I Cor 8:4-13

1 Corinthians 8:4-13 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
NIV at IBS International Bible Society NIV at Zondervan Zondervan

4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bluesman
Established Member

Smoking and Heaven

Post by bluesman »

From Jack Van Impe

"Not only can you get to heaven if you smoke,
but you can get there quicker :!: "

:lol:

Michael
Bluesman
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

If it harms the body and you are bound by it (addiction) then it qualifies as a sin.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ryo dokomi wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:If it doesn't feed the soul and tempts the body it is a sin.

The body is a temple.
i agree. if you are of age, then it is legal acording to the laws of man. however, We as christians are the Temple and Dwellingplace of OUR GOD. that right there would make me not smoke. however, you would also have to ask yourself, "is driking alcohol a sin?" the answer is obviously a no, but to a point. Christ all the his desciples drank wine, but said not to get drunk. Alcohol is harmful to the body. so, why isnt it a sin.

if anything that is harmful to the body would be made a sin if you take it in, then most everything in the world is harmful. so, its more of a question of what isnt a sin...but thats another question. ^_^
I think to say Alcohol is harmful for the Body is wrong for it also says in the Bible that a Little bit of Wine can help your Stomach which is true! Abuse of Alcohol now that I can Agree with :wink:
bizzt

Re: Smoking and Heaven

Post by bizzt »

bluesman wrote:From Jack Van Impe

"Not only can you get to heaven if you smoke,
but you can get there quicker :!: "

Michael
Bluesman
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

bizzt wrote:
ryo dokomi wrote:

The body is a temple.

I think to say Alcohol is harmful for the Body is wrong for it also says in the Bible that a Little bit of Wine can help your Stomach which is true! Abuse of Alcohol now that I can Agree with :wink:
Drinking Alcohol is not a sin. Jesus drank wine.

Drunkeness is a sin.

If you are an alcoholic and know that drinking is an addiction for you then I would argue that any drink for you would be a sin. There is some grey area even in scripture in this regard and with more knowlege of an issue there is more accountibility.

Smoking in the past was not known to be the health hazard it is known to be now.

It would not take very much for me to move on the issue to smoking to seeing it as wrong for everyone.

The whole framework of this approach is not how I believe a healthy Christian approaches life. I prefer to approach my life in terms of what is right, what is healthy and what glorifies God. As such, smoking is not a part of my life.

Defining my life by what I cannot do is legalism and while that may be effective at times of temptation for me to remember, I just don't live my life in that manner anymore.

I don't smoke. I don't recommend it to anyone. I'm content to allow each person to follow their conscience in this matter and to leave the judgement of the issue up to God in the end.

All that being said ..... DON'T SMOKE! ;)
bluesman
Established Member

Wine

Post by bluesman »

Maybe this should be a separate post, but I will ask it here.

What are your thoughts on that the wine that Jesus drank was "new wine"
which in english is grape juice.

What really are the proven health benefits of fermented wine?

What is the Greek in these passages?

We know for sure that Noah got drunk in the OT.

I know that grape juice has some amazing health benefits, but wine has some
nasty side effects when consumed to excess.

I believe Islam teaches that Jesus didn't drink fermented wine, but drank new wine or grape juice.

I myself am an ex-smoker and almost an ex-drinker too.

Michael
Bluesman
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Re: Wine

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

bluesman wrote:Maybe this should be a separate post, but I will ask it here.

What are your thoughts on that the wine that Jesus drank was "new wine"
which in english is grape juice.

What really are the proven health benefits of fermented wine?

What is the Greek in these passages?

We know for sure that Noah got drunk in the OT.

I know that grape juice has some amazing health benefits, but wine has some
nasty side effects when consumed to excess.

I believe Islam teaches that Jesus didn't drink fermented wine, but drank new wine or grape juice.

I myself am an ex-smoker and almost an ex-drinker too.

Michael
Bluesman
I am not sure if Jesus didn't drink actual wine.

To add to the discussion,

I beleive there's nothing inherently wrong with smoking or drinking or even heroin for that matter.

The problem is people becomed addicted to these substances. And this addiction is what is sinful.

To add to that there is nothing wrong with getting drunk in itself, but it is the bad that could come from it which is wrong.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
bluesman
Established Member

drugs

Post by bluesman »

I beleive there's nothing inherently wrong with smoking or drinking or even heroin for that matter.

With something like heroin, you have to also consider where/who your money is going to. If you support murders and criminals that makes you one too.
heroin is also impossible to do without becoming addicted.
Its life destroying and you would be throwing away the purpose for which
God created you for.

I understand your point though. Its not the gun thats bad , its the murder thats done with the Gun.

Like the active ingredient in many of these drugs can have unique medicinal benefits and uses. Like THC in Canibus is now legal for some medicinal uses in Canada.

I am sure if Jesus was to appear before you that you won't be lighting up a smoke and offering him a beer.

Michael
Bluesman