Rainbow Covenant

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Rainbow Covenant

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Why did God give show the sign of a rainbow to make a covenant with Noah?
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

I guess that its obvious no one knows. No comments, no remarks. I'm trying to understand certain covenants God made with man. This is why I asked.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

[quote="Poetic_Soul"]I guess that its obvious no one knows. No comments, no remarks. I'm trying to understand certain covenants God made with man. This is why I asked.[/quote

God gave the rainbow as a sign to Noah that he would never again destroy the world by flood. Why God chose the rainbow as opposed to any other symbol is not stated. God chose it. That is His perogative.

Gen 9:8-17

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. I think there must be exams and things going on for our younger members as things have been pretty slow the last week of so.

I may have to back off some myself as next week I am beginning on a 1 year accelerated Master's Program myself and will have to focus on my studies.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Well I was just trying to understand if the rainbow has any relevance to anything.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Poetic_Soul wrote:Well I was just trying to understand if the rainbow has any relevance to anything.
It's a physical sign given by God intended to reassure mankind that he will not destroy the world by this means again.

You could speculate that the rainbow is particularly appropriate because it relates specificially to the clouds and the water cycle making its appearance at specifically the time mankind would most be tempted to fear such a flood.

Scripture itself, however doesn't say why God chose the rainbow. Just that He did.

Does that help?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Tim S
Acquainted Member

Post by Tim S »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Poetic_Soul wrote:Well I was just trying to understand if the rainbow has any relevance to anything.
It's a physical sign given by God intended to reassure mankind that he will not destroy the world by this means again.

You could speculate that the rainbow is particularly appropriate because it relates specificially to the clouds and the water cycle making its appearance at specifically the time mankind would most be tempted to fear such a flood.

Scripture itself, however doesn't say why God chose the rainbow. Just that He did.

Does that help?
Indeed! I agree that is a sign of God's covenant not to destroy the earth again by flood. He caused the Flood because of mankind's wickedness. I find it interesting that the "wicked" in today's society have adopted this very symbol as their banner. The words "tolerance", "diversity" and "inclusiveness" are oft associated with the rainbow, but I sometimes wonder if we are really creeping into a time when things are as they were in the "days of Noah"
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Well I guess it's just as well. Thanks for the respond. I was assuming that it stood for something more significant. I am planning my next sermon on covenants. I'm trying to put together the connection with man and God.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

We can certainly have some fun looking at the rainbow and see if we can together come up wth some sermon ideas, I love doing stuff like that.

When I look at the rainbow, it has 7 colors, also the Godly number. The colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. It also contains olors not visible to the human eye. This range of colors, when combined, make perfect white.

Descriptions of the symbolism of the rainbow, and the context to God abound in the Bible, right through Revelations. Ezekiel, for example, compared the brightness of the colors with the brightness of the glory of God (Eze 1:28) The bowshape was used by Habbakuk to describe the scene of God's judgment (3:9). Revelations describe the throne of God surrounded by a rainbow, showing the everlasting nature of a covenant with God.

Hope this helps, we can discuss further if you want.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

August wrote:We can certainly have some fun looking at the rainbow and see if we can together come up wth some sermon ideas, I love doing stuff like that.

When I look at the rainbow, it has 7 colors, also the Godly number. The colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. It also contains olors not visible to the human eye. This range of colors, when combined, make perfect white.

Descriptions of the symbolism of the rainbow, and the context to God abound in the Bible, right through Revelations. Ezekiel, for example, compared the brightness of the colors with the brightness of the glory of God (Eze 1:28) The bowshape was used by Habbakuk to describe the scene of God's judgment (3:9). Revelations describe the throne of God surrounded by a rainbow, showing the everlasting nature of a covenant with God.

Hope this helps, we can discuss further if you want.
Now that is what I'm looking for.