CIRLCE OF THE EARTH ARGUEMENT

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
godslanguage

CIRLCE OF THE EARTH ARGUEMENT

Post by godslanguage »

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2001/PSCF9 ... eider.html
The article basically implies:
"A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry."

A circle can be a sphere, any round object. In the scripture, it is referring to the earth, not any other round object. What does this author of the article not get?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: CIRLCE OF THE EARTH ARGUEMENT

Post by Canuckster1127 »

godslanguage wrote:http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2001/PSCF9 ... eider.html
The article basically implies:
"A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry."

A circle can be a sphere, any round object. In the scripture, it is referring to the earth, not any other round object. What does this author of the article not get?

What if Isaiah, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit had no idea that the earth was a globe suspended in space and was not trying to make that specific point? What if Isaiah was using language in a poetic form and not a technical sense?

If this was so clear, why did the primary Church of the day at the time of Copernicus and Galileo not bring forth that argument at that time and endorse their findings. What did they do, in fact?

Why are those today who are among the most vigorous challenging the findings of science are seeking to go back and make it seem like those of their mindset were correct in asserting scientific discovery can be found in the Bible clearly then and today? Why should we believe that the Bible is able to be used as a 21st century science text book today, when those asserting that hermeneutic in the 16th and 17th century so clearly misinterpreted it then, or claimed something there now that was not seen then?

Don't get me wrong. I support the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture.

Maybe we get into trouble when we try to make it address areas now that obviously weren't a concern at the time of inspiration.

Maybe we mistake applicability with intentionality.

Maybe we're torturing the context of Scripture to try and make it say things today to a degree of specificity that it was never intended to do at the time of revelation.

Maybe those attempting to force the Bible into a scientific mode in today's context are making the same type of mistakes today that churchmen made in the 16th and 17th century.

Maybe this is simply an attempt to rationalize that its OK to do that today despite the fact that it failed in the past, because now those doing it are so much smarter today then they were then.

What do you think?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Post by JBirdAngel »

Hello,

the way i read this verse it is not neccesarily describing the shape of the planet earth.

if you check out the amplified Bible and how it amplifies this word that may be of some use.

what might be better is to check the actual meaning of the word used in Hebrew.

you can do this at blueletterBible.org

go to verse Isaiah 40:22 and click the C button, as i believe that takes you to the Hebrew wording, and you can see the different definisions for this word.

also use a dictionary and look up the definition of the words in english

and i find that the verse is perfectly correct and fine and proper.

as of course all Scripture is :)

1 John 1:9 KJV
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

thank you - jason
Kerux
Established Member

Re: CIRLCE OF THE EARTH ARGUEMENT

Post by Kerux »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Don't get me wrong. I support the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture.

Maybe this is simply an attempt to rationalize that its OK to do that today despite the fact that it failed in the past, because now those doing it are so much smarter today then they were then.

What do you think?
"All human discoveries seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more and more the Truths contained in the Sacred Scriptures."

Sir William Herschel (1738-1822), English astronomer, he made numerous discoveries about the laws of the heavens.

I think we need to be careful to go from Scripture to science and not the other way around. Science can become a religion.

Many 'scientists' in history were students of the Bible. Many, like Sir Isaac Newton, Galileo and others, discovered truth in Scripture, like the 'circle of the earth' verse in Isaiah, that led them on to greater discoveries.

And I don't think man is any 'smarter' today. We just have more technology available to us.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

the_second_coming wrote:As a dedicated "Flat Earther" I feel it is my duty to explain a few things to you.

There is no proof that the Earth is indeed a sphere.

I'm looking out of my window, trust me it's flat.

Isaiah may have been the only person in the Bible to speak a true word the world is indeed round, but it is actually round and flat.

The round-earth theory is a governemnt plot, I beg you not to believe. We must spread the word to prevent anymore brainwashing of the public.

Kate.
Please be joking.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
the_second_coming wrote:As a dedicated "Flat Earther" I feel it is my duty to explain a few things to you.

There is no proof that the Earth is indeed a sphere.

I'm looking out of my window, trust me it's flat.

Isaiah may have been the only person in the Bible to speak a true word the world is indeed round, but it is actually round and flat.

The round-earth theory is a governemnt plot, I beg you not to believe. We must spread the word to prevent anymore brainwashing of the public.

Kate.
Please be joking.
Kmart you fell for that one? Com'on dude... :)

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8