IMMORTAL, WELL...PRACTICALLY

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
godslanguage

IMMORTAL, WELL...PRACTICALLY

Post by godslanguage »

Not too long ago, on a television broadcast, I heard a biologist claiming that Humans are capable of living up to 1-10 thousand years old. I don't know much about biology, can anyone explain to me how this is possible. Not that I want to live that long, I will look like Yoda, LOL, but any thoughts would be great.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: IMMORTAL, WELL...PRACTICALLY

Post by Canuckster1127 »

godslanguage wrote:Not too long ago, on a television broadcast, I heard a biologist claiming that Humans are capable of living up to 1-10 thousand years old. I don't know much about biology, can anyone explain to me how this is possible. Not that I want to live that long, I will look like Yoda, LOL, but any thoughts would be great.
Here's my explanation.

This unnamed biologist was wrong.

If you want something more detailed, I suggest a link to some supporting material. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
godslanguage

Re: IMMORTAL, WELL...PRACTICALLY

Post by godslanguage »

Thats pritty much all I needed to know. Like I said, this was a news broadcast, it was on the news, guess hes an idiot then. But anyhow, I don't know his name or have any reference, but my perceptions tell me he said it loud and clear, in the thousands, thats why my range is so obscure and exaggerated, because it was a while ago. But he did say in the thousands. He also added though, that you will inevitbly catch a cold (disease) sooner or later and wither away, more realistically speaking ofcourse. Anyhow, looks like there is nothing to talk about, you may put this thread in the garbage bin if you like Canukster.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Scientist's are people too, they will make claims which are not supported by the empirical data.

Some scientists do believe that it will one day be possible to extend human life as you described, however they are in the minority.

The key word is they beleive it, not know it.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Scientist's are people too, they will make claims which are not supported by the empirical data.

Some scientists do believe that it will one day be possible to extend human life as you described, however they are in the minority.

The key word is they beleive it, not know it.
It's an interesting assertion though. Genesis teaches lifespans early on of just under 1,000 years. The Flood marks the demarcation to 120 being the outside perameter.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender