John 12:37-40

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Vash
Recognized Member

John 12:37-40

Post by Vash »

"(37)Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence they still would not believe in him. (38)This was to fulfill the word of Isiah the prophet:

'Lord who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the lord been revealed?'

(39)For this reason they could not believe, because as Isiah says elsewhere:

(40)'He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn - and I would heal them.'"

Does this passage imply that if we ever make the decision of will to not believe, we'll never be able to believe again?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: John 12:37-40

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Vash wrote:"(37)Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence they still would not believe in him. (38)This was to fulfill the word of Isiah the prophet:

'Lord who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the lord been revealed?'

(39)For this reason they could not believe, because as Isiah says elsewhere:

(40)'He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn - and I would heal them.'"

Does this passage imply that if we ever make the decision of will to not believe, we'll never be able to believe again?
No. I don't believe it does.

Read the Psalms of David. He wrestled with faith and doubts and continually cried out questioning God's existence, God's presence, God's love and God's plan. David also made some really bad mistakes in his life extending to murder, adultary and poor management of his family. Yet how does God describe David in the end?

Read I Kings 19 and the story of Elijah. After his greatest victory over the prophets of Baal he had an emotional collapse and openly questioned God. What was God's response to him?

1. God cared for his physical and safety needs.
2. God revealed Himself to him.
3. God provided the comfort of a friend and one he could mentor.

God is greater than our wills. He knows we are flesh and weak. In the end it is Him who saves us and who holds us to Him.

The passage you are quoting shows God's foreknowlege of the hearts of man and the fact that even when Christ was physically in the midst of many performing miracles, many still did not believe.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender