Revelation 3:5

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

What does this mean to blot out his name from the book of life.

I see that it can mean any of these:

1. The person was once save but lost it. (NOT!!!)
2. Blotting out does not mean loss of salvation but loss of rewards. (possibly but, I do not think so)
3. If blotting out means not saved, then all names were written there to begin with, hence no limit on the atonement. If the elect were predetermined from the beginning, why would names be blotted out, only the saved would be written in the Book of life.

Is there some other possible meaning that I am not seeing that other could help me with?

Thanks,
In Christ
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Revelation 3:5

Post by FFC »

YLTYLT wrote:Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

2. Blotting out does not mean loss of salvation but loss of rewards. (possibly but, I do not think so)
3. If blotting out means not saved, then all names were written there to begin with, hence no limit on the atonement. If the elect were predetermined from the beginning, why would names be blotted out, only the saved would be written in the Book of life.

Is there some other possible meaning that I am not seeing that other could help me with?

Thanks,
In Christ
All names were in there from the beginning but are blotted out when God see that they will never believe? Just a guess.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Revelation 3:5

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
YLTYLT wrote:Revelation 3:5

Thanks,
In Christ
All names were in there from the beginning but are blotted out when God see that they will never believe? Just a guess.
Yeah, sometimes we tend to forget God's omniscience. If he already knows what will happen then I guess I can see how some will see it as predestination. Good answer bro.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.