Get over yourself

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Get over yourself

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Too many people see themselves as individuals without consideration of others, too engrossed in their own affairs and too involved in their own thoughts.

So I wanted to share this article.
=)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14062303/site/newsweek

The world is more than you or I, life involves more than self preservation. Be a good person not because it will redeem you but to add to the redemption of the world at large.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Nice Article. Thanks!
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
omimanordude

Post by omimanordude »

BGoodForGoodSake, thank you! Right on!
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Get over yourself

Post by Gman »

I always find it amusing when atheists call others conceded when their very own evolutionary theories boast of genetic superiority...
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Too many people see themselves as individuals without consideration of others, too engrossed in their own affairs and too involved in their own thoughts.

=)

The world is more than you or I, life involves more than self preservation. Be a good person not because it will redeem you but to add to the redemption of the world at large.
Unfortunately man cannot redeem himself alone.. It is Christ who redeems, not man...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Who's the Atheist in this scenario?

Gman wrote:I always find it amusing when atheists call others conceded when their very own evolutionary theories boast of genetic superiority...
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Too many people see themselves as individuals without consideration of others, too engrossed in their own affairs and too involved in their own thoughts.

=)

Unfortunately man cannot redeem himself alone.. It is Christ who redeems, not man...
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Who's the Atheist in this scenario?
Sorry Bart, I think it was for the guy above not directly BGood... I often see atheists using this scenario against Christians...

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
N4SC
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by N4SC »

Somewhat of a good point.
However, if any of us could be good on our own, then we wouldn't be in the mess now, would we?
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis