AFTER DEATH

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
godslanguage

AFTER DEATH

Post by godslanguage »

When Jesus said that he will raise from the dead 3 days after his death, it happened, and there is no doubt, clear and enourmous scriptural evidence for that.

Why did it take 3 days for Jesus to rise from the dead? Couldn't it have happened right away. I'd like to put this in comparison to what we believe that when judgement day comes for each of us, inevitiibly, our soul/spirit will be left in the hands of God.
I hope that my question is reasonable though.
Whats your take on this:
Could it take more than the time of a stop of the heartbeat for our spirits to transpire towards God. Since Jesus raised from the dead on the third day
after his crucifixtion/death.
Birdie
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Birdie »

Well... 3 is a good number, maybe back then the body starts decaying faster because the blood isn't replaced with chemicals? Plus if he came back to life right away the soliders might try and kill him agian. And why do you always capitilze every letter in your post titles?
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Birdie wrote:And why do you always capitilze every letter in your post titles?

Well, if it bothers you than I will stop, its just a habit I've taken from another forum.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

So that prophecy might be fulfilled...

Apart from that, the number 3 has symbolic significance. It is the number of God.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: AFTER DEATH

Post by Silvertusk »

godslanguage wrote:When Jesus said that he will raise from the dead 3 days after his death, it happened, and there is no doubt, clear and enourmous scriptural evidence for that.

Why did it take 3 days for Jesus to rise from the dead? Couldn't it have happened right away. I'd like to put this in comparison to what we believe that when judgement day comes for each of us, inevitiibly, our soul/spirit will be left in the hands of God.
Whats your take on this:
Could it take more than the time of a stop of the heartbeat for our spirits to transpire towards God. Since Jesus raised from the dead on the third day
Probably no scriptual evidence for this - but isnt there a theory that Jesus went to hell in those days - or informed all that had previous died about his plan of salvation so they can be saved.....i could be wrong of course
omimanordude

Post by omimanordude »

Hey guys,
Could it be so that Jesus literally went to Hell for three days, and suffered for all of mankind's sins? Perhaps the three days He spent was to free those in Abraham's Bosom? I mean, what did Jesus do in those three days?
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

I think it may have had to do with Jewish tradition or their understanding of the afterlife.

I remember hearing that Jewish tradition believed that once a person had been dead for three days, their soul was in its final resting place or that they were completely dead.(or something like that, I am not sure)

So to rise again on the third day gives even more proof that He is God.

Can anyone confirm this?
Sargon
Established Member

Post by Sargon »

Yes, I understand that according to Jewish law a person isnt considered truly dead until after 3 days. But then again, Im not jewish.

However, it is clear that the Jews did not believe in the traditional hell that medievel christianity made up. The bible teaches that Christ visited the souls in prison who were wicked in Noah's day, and preached to them.
1 peter 3:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Why would he do this? I suggest it is because they did not properly receive a chance to accept the gospel in this life. And I do not believe they were the only ones to whom he preached, but were used as example in this verse.
Isaiah 61:
1 THE Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
I'd like to put this in comparison to what we believe that when judgement day comes for each of us, inevitiibly, our soul/spirit will be left in the hands of God.
Well if we can use Jesus as our example, which I think we should, we know that he did not ascend to his Father until after the resurrection. We can trust that we too will go directly to the father, but will go to a sort of spirit paradise/prison/ waiting area for the resurrection.

More later if questions arise...

Sargon
Let us not confuse what science reveals, with what we interpret science to reveal, and what we want science to reveal.
Sadasius
Newbie Member

Re: AFTER DEATH

Post by Sadasius »

godslanguage wrote:When Jesus said that he will raise from the dead 3 days after his death, it happened, and there is no doubt, clear and enourmous scriptural evidence for that.

Whats your take on this:
It was symbolic....The Trinity!
"Learn to accept, even welcome pain - for if you do not fear pain... if the thought of physical, emotional or spiritual anguish cannot dissuade you from the true path - then no enemy, however strong, can defeat you...no struggle, however long, can deter you...nor circumstance, however wrong, can keep you from your destiny."