Mental Activity Seen in a Brain Gravely Injured

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Mental Activity Seen in a Brain Gravely Injured

Post by Canuckster1127 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/scien ... ref=slogin

Another indication that should give pause to those considering playing God in "vegetative" cases.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Mental Activity Seen in a Brain Gravely Injured

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/scien ... ref=slogin

Another indication that should give pause to those considering playing God in "vegetative" cases.
This is a very scary thought.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:This is a very scary thought.

Indeed.

My wife and I have always been at odds wrt this issue. We both have living wills that spell out exactly what should occur in case we're incapacitated and are unable to make life or death decisions for ourselves. My wife, under no circumstances, wants to be disconnected off of life support. She expressly wants to be kept alive for as long as it's physically, mechanically, and scientifically possible.

I, on the other hand, wanted no part of that. Not that I don't think cognitive brain activity is not possible in a vegetative state, quite the opposite; it is precisely because I think it is possible. You see, I'm a little claustrophobic (ok, a lot). Vegetative state or not, I know on some level, I will be aware of what's going on but be unable to express my thoughts, feelings, and desires. That, to me, is the absolute worst kind of torture. In recent days, however, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it. I haven't changed my mind but I think I could be persuaded otherwise (to just leave it in God's hands since he's in control anyway, right?).

Either way, it is very scary.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:This is a very scary thought.

Indeed.

My wife and I have always been at odds wrt this issue. We both have living wills that spell out exactly what should occur in case we're incapacitated and are unable to make life or death decisions for ourselves. My wife, under no circumstances, wants to be disconnected off of life support. She expressly wants to be kept alive for as long as it's physically, mechanically, and scientifically possible.

I, on the other hand, wanted no part of that. Not that I don't think cognitive brain activity is not possible in a vegetative state, quite the opposite; it is precisely because I think it is possible. You see, I'm a little claustrophobic (ok, a lot). Vegetative state or not, I know on some level, I will be aware of what's going on but be unable to express my thoughts, feelings, and desires. That, to me, is the absolute worst kind of torture. In recent days, however, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it. I haven't changed my mind but I think I could be persuaded otherwise (to just leave it in God's hands since he's in control anyway, right?).

Either way, it is very scary.
I think if there is a chance for a healthy life whether a Wheel chair or not then keep me alive HOWEVER if I do not have a chance for anything and I am being kept alive by life support just pull me off life Support. God will do the rest :)
Oriental
Recognized Member
Christian: No

The fundamental principle

Post by Oriental »

Though we can't judge on incapacitated behalf as to their decisions to end their lives or not, it doesn't pose me problem if legally the next-of-kin decides on his behalf to end his life.

The God's purpose for men to be redeemed is: confess, repent, and follow Him. it is a matter of souls which fulfil His purpose; an incapacitated in "vegetate" state is void in their soul so they can't possibly fulfil God's purpose in their lifetime so it is almost subject to us who exercise judgement on them based on Jesus commandments of love - to decide on the incapacitated own sake to be back to God or kept connected for the meaningless life which virtually serve no divine purpose but a revelation to us of our thanksgiving to God for our well-beings in everything on earth, healthy, mentally sound and living with hope and wishes, cherishing a life that pleases Him.

I ain't sure if it serves "neighborhood" goodness as in the Samaritan parables in Luke; it looks like keeping "the incapacitated alive with wishful hope for him to get well to serve God" is itself a wishful thinking of us without any ground whether God revealed it or not. The ethical ground is more apparent than real.

Oriental.