Should I be happy or unhappy?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Oriental
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Should I be happy or unhappy?

Post by Oriental »

I needn't work hard in my work because I am just a thing that the employer has bought for my professional qualification. The coworkers in Beijing are often accused of doing the job on listing matters but they are not professionally qualified. The accusers include the investment bankers, lawyers, audit firms, security firms and other professional firms. I am a Hong Kong guy, with cultural background, language and origin entirely different from other coworkers here in Beijing; they are borne in Beijing. Including the bosses, all are mainlanders.

As a matter of law, I have to report to the directors.

As a matter of tribal glory, the directors do not want me to be the legitimate accountant to report to him. They want all their teams to comprise only the mainlanders.

Other team-mates, suspectedly under the instruction of the mainlander directors, deliberately take all the job without my involvement and report to the directors under my nose. The directors are pleased to see this.

It breaches the legal intent of the listing regulations. They observe the regulations on face value only, having me to be present in Beijing and getting to work just like a robotic routine.

These days I entertained two Britons coming to visit us. Seeing that I work, the mainlanders were enraged (because they aren't professionally qualified and aren't capable of sitting and passing the professional exam of ACCA, they are deadly jealous of me).

Because of "GLORY AND SHAME", and the scornful words that the subordinates hurl on her, maliciously (this often happens because the mainlander management are not professionally qualified and under-paid compared with a HK guy like me), today one of the coworkers pled to the boss: "I CAN ALSO DO THAT TO BRING GLORY TO OUR TRIBE!". A week later, this lady is going to entertain the investment bankers. She herself is not proficient about the technical knowledge, understanding nor professionally qualified. But she has political power; The directors like her, because she has been working for a longer time than everyone.

It seems like I am living a leisurely life, but on principle, I feel heartily sick about this phenomenon.

It looks like a scenario when, during an operation, the licensed doctors are ousted and the Head of hospital, loving his pampered daugther, let her do the operation, opening the patients' chest and abdomen with scalpels, and let her learn on the operation. The patient has no choice but to let the girl, not being professionally qualified, open his chest and abdomen risking his life if the operation goes failing, just for the purpose of LETTING THE HEAD OF HOSPITAL'S BELOVED DAUGHTER TO LEARN AND SUSTAIN HER GLORY OF "I CAN ALSO DO THAT!"

The patient groaning on the bed without any right to complain has to be kind for letting the girl learn on his body. The blood spills over the bed, anaesthetized the patient smiles to the girl and her father: "Thank you so much. I am grateful for your help!" He is greater than Jesus Christ.

The licensed doctors beg for justice with the head of hospital, who replies: "why don't you do something to let me see your performance satisfactory to my standard?"; while he takes away all the scalpels and gloves while the doctors are unable to work at all.

Please pray for me wishing this goes up for God's purpose but not for human purpose, in the names of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Oriental.

Jorge S
Acquainted Member

Post by Jorge S »

Hi, Oriental

I understand your problem. I went through something similar and it is not enjoyable. My advice would be: do not get complacent with the situation. There is a reason why you are there and it will become obvious shortly.

In the meantime, try to understand them and earn their trust. They're as aware as you are that there are gaps in qualifications, skills, etc so they are trying to show their worth and pretend you don't impress them. Do not compete with that attitude because you'd place yourself at their level and your seniority will not mean a thing. The scenario is calling you to show superiority by exercising humility. Make yourself approachable and helpful without condescension; at the turn of few months they will accept you as a team-member and the tension will be over. It may be hard but it is possible and you'll enjoy the end results.

Jesus washed his disciples feet to teach the kind of attitude we should exhibit toward our fellow men. That is greatness in His sight. There are times when we need to reach out and fit in, particularly when we believe we have something to share, build and give away.

May Our Lord Bless You Abundantly.
Oriental
Recognized Member

Alas

Post by Oriental »

Jorge S wrote:Hi, Oriental

I understand your problem. I went through something similar and it is not enjoyable. My advice would be: do not get complacent with the situation. There is a reason why you are there and it will become obvious shortly.

In the meantime, try to understand them and earn their trust. They're as aware as you are that there are gaps in qualifications, skills, etc so they are trying to show their worth and pretend you don't impress them. Do not compete with that attitude because you'd place yourself at their level and your seniority will not mean a thing. The scenario is calling you to show superiority by exercising humility. Make yourself approachable and helpful without condescension; at the turn of few months they will accept you as a team-member and the tension will be over. It may be hard but it is possible and you'll enjoy the end results.

Jesus washed his disciples feet to teach the kind of attitude we should exhibit toward our fellow men. That is greatness in His sight. There are times when we need to reach out and fit in, particularly when we believe we have something to share, build and give away.

May Our Lord Bless You Abundantly.

Hi, Jorge,

It is kind of you for the reply. I understand what you mean. I keep as minimal as possible any incidence to show myself off or that smacks of it. To be with them requires a great deal of religious drive. This contrasts quite much with the circumstances when I worked in HK where competition was stifling.

I can see the directors love their sons and daugthers so much and tribal affection hinges on whoever takes initiative to move for work unselfishly. Ethical value counts a lot in here. People conversate a lot to get along well with each other which is vitally important of understanding. The difference in cultural background and origin cast a misunderstanding between us often. Probably I am not outspoken, and people tend to guess me. (which is not comprehensible because I look at myself being someone quite openminded and with common touch; frankly there is presumption in their understanding about HK guys. Most HK guys that I know are quite arrogant, not only to the mainlanders but also to their fellows with the same origins. This make some kind of gruntle the mainlanders usually bear against the HK guys. Adding up the difference in pay-scale, they compare and resentment bubbles that's not unusual. This serves the crucial point why two tribes can't mingle with each other. History is the vile that has caused it.

A moment earlier a girl manager (a HK girl) almost vented her temper simply because she couldn't get hold on me by phone during lunch-time. This is not good indeed. Mainlanders are more patient and ethical in respect of this, with higher level of tolerance. It's adorable.

Oriental.

Last edited by Oriental on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Oriental, I wonder if the HK girl manager is finding it the same way as you are and it isn't easy for her either? It all sounds quite awkward for you.
Do you have to work in the mainland, or could you move back to HK and find a happier placement there?
Mind you, it is quite a challenge to accept and try to resolve your current situation. I wish you all the best.

I have been to HK. It is a very pretty view from Mt Victoria! :)
Oriental
Recognized Member

Things get better but still bore-some so much.

Post by Oriental »

Judah wrote:Oriental, I wonder if the HK girl manager is finding it the same way as you are and it isn't easy for her either? It all sounds quite awkward for you.
Do you have to work in the mainland, or could you move back to HK and find a happier placement there?
Mind you, it is quite a challenge to accept and try to resolve your current situation. I wish you all the best.

I have been to HK. It is a very pretty view from Mt Victoria! :)

It is exciting to hear someone right here having heard of and been in HK.

I guess the girl manager was worried about the place to confirm with her client that is to meet me. Things were not smooth to her so her intonation tells me that she was sort of annoyed about me.

If I got back to HK for placement, I'd have to quit the present job right away. I am still thinking about it. Recently I am dating a girl and we are going to get hooked up I want to wait for it; plus my employment contract with my employer is not over yet.

You are very right; to tackle the problem arising out of the current situation is challenging indeed.

These days I entertained some investment bankers; however I am simply helping the in-charge (she doesn't need my help at all). Since I am not native mainlander the board of directors seem to ignore my presence as though I were just a tree decorating the office.

I figure whether I should quit after the employment contract is over after one year. The life seems to get better; I am dating a girl. I am fond of her!.

Oriental.