The Hymns

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The Hymns

Post by FFC »

Does anybody besides me love the hymns? I grew up in Baptist churches and all we had were hymns. Now I go to a non denominational church and all they play are contemporary praise songs. Some of them are catchy but none come close, in my opinion, to capturing the feel of the hymns.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Angel Cake
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Angel Cake »

I love, love, love hymns. I like some of the modern songs, but the old hymns are my favorites.
Swamper
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

I greatly prefer hymns to most contemporary Christian music.
Angel Cake
Acquainted Member

Post by Angel Cake »

The same topic got brought up today in another group I am in, and the moderator mentioned that a lot of modern worship songs contain bad theology because they don't focus on Christ.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I love the hymns too, but bad theology did not escape some of them. One in particular comes to mind.

William Blake believed the legend that Jesus, while still a young man, accompanied Joseph of Arimathea to the English town of Glastonbury. His poem became the famous hymn, Jerusalem.
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of Desire;
Bring me my Spear; O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant Land.
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

As I've heard, Blake was rather an oddball where theology was concerned. He didn't believe in conventional Christianity and could be compared to modern 'solo-religious' people ('create a god you like!'). Or am I dreadfully misrepresenting Blake now?
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

You are right about Blake. Some have called him something of a mystic, and others, a visionary. He kind of devised his own religion from a mixture of Biblical ideas and Greek mythology to produce something somewhat anti-Christian (or rather, anti-established and orthodox Christian), more universalist and even kind of pantheist (everything being holy, or having something of holiness within it). He believed that mankind entered heaven by cultivating their intellect and understanding rather than curbing their earthly desires - a salvation of works rather than of grace. Well, he certainly had some rather different ideas from others who lived during his time - rather like a New Ager ahead of his time. For what it is worth, Wordsworth thought him somewhat mad, I believe.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Judah wrote:You are right about Blake. Some have called him something of a mystic, and others, a visionary. He kind of devised his own religion from a mixture of Biblical ideas and Greek mythology to produce something somewhat anti-Christian (or rather, anti-established and orthodox Christian), more universalist and even kind of pantheist (everything being holy, or having something of holiness within it). He believed that mankind entered heaven by cultivating their intellect and understanding rather than curbing their earthly desires - a salvation of works rather than of grace. Well, he certainly had some rather different ideas from others who lived during his time - rather like a New Ager ahead of his time. For what it is worth, Wordsworth thought him somewhat mad, I believe.
Hmmm. He may have been mad but I like the hymn. I took it in a spiritual sense...of wanting to see a God fearing england that once was.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?