Christianity and persecution

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Christianity and persecution

Post by Michelle »

Recently on two separate occasions the issue of Christians being persecuted was raised. Both times the argument was put forward that Christians no matter where they live are persecuted and that society is out to stop them from being able to practice their beliefs. I am wondering, given that I live in Australia and these comments were Australian based, just how Christians are persecuted here. I can understand if these remarks were made from someone living in a country whereby freedom of the right to choose a belief was non-existent, but not from someone living in Australia.

I question whether the term persecution has been taken completely out of context by Christians to what it is actually meant to apply. It refers to cruel and unfair treatment of a person because of their political or religious beliefs. When I raised this point with the people concerned they said that Christians are often tanted for their belief. I inquired as to what they meant by taunted and they replied that people think you are mad for believing in it.

If this is what Christians call being persecuted then they have a lot to learn. It is not! It is only a difference of opinion. Unless the comments are so derisive and/or the inclusion of cruelty it is not persecution. So what if they think you are mad for believing. Probably most people who barrack for a particular sporting team would think that someone who barracks for an opposing team is mad. Everywhere in life people have different beliefs in things and different opinions regarding them.

Even if certain laws are brought in (such as the formerly preposed religious vilification bill) that is not persecution. It is an exciting challenge in front of you! It does not in any way stop people from being able to practice Christianity. That is the whole meaning of what persecution refers to. Stopping you!

It seems to me that there are too many people eager to jump on the bandwagon like other non-Christians and apply a term because it sounds good to them. In Australia last time I knew (and that was today), you can still go to Church; you are still able to freely buy and read a Bible and you can still become a Christian anytime you choose. In some countries this is not possible, and it was these places that Jesus refers to in the Bible.

Is there anyone from down under who has an opinion on this issue?
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Oh, from Down Under? I guess that's me. Just across the ditch to the east of you.

I think perhaps folks are getting a little confused with discrimination. There is perhaps a bit of that from time to time, but more likely to be informal than formal. Formal discrimination gets adressed in courts of law, but informally there may be nonsense like snide remarks or avoidance or baiting comments - all of which is par for the course. Note the following words of Jesus:
John 15:20 Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

However, when I think of persecution I think of the really terrible things that are done to Christians in other countries (such as Islamic ones) where their lives are in grave danger for their faith. That simply is not the case Down Under.

The most I have ever encountered (thank God!) are comments such as "You can't believe all that nonsense, do you?" which gives me the opportunity for all kinds of witty retorts. If I can narrow it down to which particular bit of nonsense they are referring to, I often find the answer is No, I don't actually. Things like turning into an angel, sitting on a cloud and playing a harp - and that is called "going to heaven". There is a lot of nonsense believed to be Christianity, and it gets to be quite interesting hearing it and having a chance to debunk it. Anyway, so long as that is all the "persecution" that I get, then I believe myself to be let off pretty lightly. Not so Christians in those other countries where they are tortured and murdered for their beliefs. Now that really is persecution.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Michelle »

Judah wrote:Oh, from Down Under? I guess that's me. Just across the ditch to the east of you.

I think perhaps folks are getting a little confused with discrimination. There is perhaps a bit of that from time to time, but more likely to be informal than formal. Formal discrimination gets adressed in courts of law, but informally there may be nonsense like snide remarks or avoidance or baiting comments - all of which is par for the course. Note the following words of Jesus:
John 15:20 Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

However, when I think of persecution I think of the really terrible things that are done to Christians in other countries (such as Islamic ones) where their lives are in grave danger for their faith. That simply is not the case Down Under.

The most I have ever encountered (thank God!) are comments such as "You can't believe all that nonsense, do you?" which gives me the opportunity for all kinds of witty retorts. If I can narrow it down to which particular bit of nonsense they are referring to, I often find the answer is No, I don't actually. Things like turning into an angel, sitting on a cloud and playing a harp - and that is called "going to heaven". There is a lot of nonsense believed to be Christianity, and it gets to be quite interesting hearing it and having a chance to debunk it. Anyway, so long as that is all the "persecution" that I get, then I believe myself to be let off pretty lightly. Not so Christians in those other countries where they are tortured and murdered for their beliefs. Now that really is persecution.

Thanks for your reply Judah, this is exactly what I am meaning. It is discrimination we endure down under. I see that as a challenge. Ignorance and fear are usually the reasons why there is discrimination, and once you address that people are mostly accepting.