Trinity: Why only three?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Trinity: Why only three?

Post by Christian2 »

This question was posted on another discussion board and according to the original poster, none have given a satisfactory answer. That is why I am bringing it here. Maybe someone here will come up with a suitable answer.

My summation question is "Why do you believe there is only a tri-unity of persons in your godhead?"

The position that I am coming from is this:

Within Judaism, there is a tradition that there are Seven Sacred Names of G-d. These seven are transliterated as follows:

1) El
2) Elohim
3) Adonai
4) YHWH
5) Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh
6) Shaddai
7) Tzevaot

Truthfully, there a many (MANY!) more names of G-d in the Tanakh, but I thought I would stick with these seven.

Why do trinitarian Christians not believe that each name represents a separate G-d? When the word "Spirit" is used in the Tanakh, it is presumed to be another person in your godhead. Sometimes, even the usage of "son" is perceived as such. With Christians utilizing these types of names for each person, why not adopt the idea that each name of the Seven Sacred names is a separate person in your godhead?

Repeating my summation question differently: Why don't you have a quadra-unity, penta-unity, hexa-unity, hepta-unity, octa-unity... etc.?

Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

Thanks.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Simply because there is no justification for it. We have no good reason to assume that there are more persons in the Godhead. We do have good reason to think that the Father, the Son and the Spirit are three Persons within God.

The Father: obviously.
The Son: became flesh -- he obviously was not the 'complete' God, since he prayed to God as His Father while at the same time claiming to be one with Him in essence.
The Spirit: would be sent by the Son after His ascension -- is therefore a different Person than the Son and also different from the Father.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
NewCreature
Familiar Member

Post by NewCreature »

Somewhere in Revelation, don't have time to look it up at this moment, it talks about the seven Spirits of God.
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

I think these verses from Isaiah 48 are strong evidence for the Trinity.

9For my name's sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off.

10Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

11For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

(I think it is obvious that God is speaking in the previous 3 verses. continue.... )

12Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

(Jesus also calls himself the first and the Last in Rev 1:17) but continue...

13Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.

14All ye, assemble yourselves, and hear; which among them hath declared these things? The LORD hath loved him: he will do his pleasure on Babylon, and his arm shall be on the Chaldeans.

15I, even I, have spoken; yea, I have called him: I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.

16Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

This very is very strong evidence of the Trinity.

17Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

This verse Idenitfies whose was speaking.....

These verses are definitely not the only ones, but I am sure you have seen other verses. I just wanted to present ones that you may have not yet seen.

May God bless your search for truth,