Ecclesiastes

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
johnnyboy08
Recognized Member

Ecclesiastes

Post by johnnyboy08 »

Hello all. I've recently just joined this forum.
For the first time in my life, I have read a Bible :) (I am Buddhist)

Something caught my attention...

The Book of Ecclesiastes; it seems so depressing by far. I am still finishing up and I am enjoying the writer's word (they are significant because they seem so real even though they are so old), but I had a question;

What are we to learn from this book? So far, I've learned that nothing has meaning, and I already knew that! :(
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

POints to a corruption of the world.

"Nothing new under the sun" Weariness, answers do not come from just knowledge, just pleasure...

Will write more later, gotta clean my house!!
phoney
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Ecclesiastes

Post by phoney »

johnnyboy08 wrote:Hello all. I've recently just joined this forum.

The Book of Ecclesiastes; it seems so depressing by far. I am still finishing up and I am enjoying the writer's word (they are significant because they seem so real even though they are so old), but I had a question;

What are we to learn from this book? So far, I've learned that nothing has meaning, and I already knew that! :(
Soloman had tried to find meaning and happiness thru many avenues,
without God, and finally came back to God. One can travel as many roads as one pleases but will not be content til he travels the straight and
narrow road.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

phoney wrote:

Soloman had tried to find meaning and happiness thru many avenues,
without God, and finally came back to God. One can travel as many roads as one pleases but will not be content til he travels the straight and
narrow road.
Very good, Phoney. It's amazing how Solomon went from the wisest man who ever lived to the most pessimistic. It just shows that only God can give us true meaning in our lives.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

Personally, one of my favorite books. Unfortunately, very world-oriented. Talks a lot about "under the sun." Be cautious when reading it. The author makes some bold claims that, when taken 'under the sun' make sense. However, remember that most of the book is written about things 'under the sun'. When he says anything that is not in line with the rest of the bible, remember that. THe purpose of the book is to show that life is meaningless 'under the sun' and only with GOd can we find meaning.
oscarsiziba
Recognized Member

Post by oscarsiziba »

Initially Solomon calls us to the ackowledgment that everything has its time,explores what we want as beings here under the sun,finds that these are empty and concludes(here is what we are to learn):
Fear God and keep His commandments for this is the whole duty of man.(Eccles 12 v13).Note that he says ,'This is the conclusion of the matter....."( that he begun in the first chapter)
Like Balaam, they are angry at those who would prevent their ruin.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

oscarsiziba wrote:

Initially Solomon calls us to the ackowledgment that everything has its time,explores what we want as beings here under the sun,finds that these are empty and concludes(here is what we are to learn):
Fear God and keep His commandments for this is the whole duty of man.(Eccles 12 v13).Note that he says ,'This is the conclusion of the matter....."( that he begun in the first chapter)
Very good. I like that. Under the sun is the earthy and temporal realm...but we who follow christ are not of this world. We have the hope of a heavenly realm and are supposed to consider ourselves as being there for all intents and purposes. Sitting in heavenly places.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?