In serious trouble with faith.

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
l4ur4
Newbie Member

In serious trouble with faith.

Post by l4ur4 »

I was not raised with religion as anything more than an option. "People have many different beliefs -- that's just the way it is." However, that mindstate was founded on the predisposition that all were false in the end. They were just there to make you feel better. Most of my life has been spent as an agnostic, but more leaning to the side of athiest. I always kept an open mind for truth, however, and I find myself now with a longing for something more. I've been doing lots of research lately, and what I have come to is this: It seems much more likely to me that there is a god. One God. Believe me, that simple realization took plenty of effort. Now I have questions for someone, anyone who could answer them.

Why Jesus? What makes each of you turn to Christianity over any of the other religions in the world? Obviously there are texts to support each major religion -- any one of them could be true without an outside factor. So what am I missing? What draws you to Jesus as the Truth, and lets you know that the other explanations are false?

That leads me to a second question. Why are there Muslims and Jews? What made them discount Jesus as Lord? I know that many were expecting an earthly kingdom and not a heavenly one. But if He knew the truth, why couldn't Jesus make them understand?

And finally a more personal one. I've been looking for answers outside of science. Someone told me that God will not hear prayers from non-Christians. If that is the case, how could he hear me asking for help? It is so hard for me to believe something that I cannot see, hear, or feel personally. But if God will not see, hear, or feel me as a non-Christian, how could I ever become one? I feel like I have been given a handicap that prevents me from ever getting to heaven. It doesn't seem fair to me that people who were raised Christian, accepted Christ at age 3, and never gave it any thought, will go to heaven; while people like me search so hard for the answers, but our prayers fall on deaf ears. And if I don't find those answers, I'll go to Hell. This is very troubling for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: In serious trouble with faith.

Post by Jac3510 »

Tell ya what: forget all the side issues and ask yourself one question.

Did Jesus actually rise from the dead?

If He did, then Christianity is true. If he did not, then Christianity is false. There are numerous books written on the subject. N. T. Write has written extensively here. We have a thread here that discusses the historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus. Many here are well versed in that area. Beyond that, here are some more links for you:

Evidence for the Resurrection, by Josh McDowell
Contemporary Scholarship and the Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, by William Lane Craig
Evidence of Jesus' resurrection, by Michael Morrison
Hoax? Myth? or Reality? The Evidence for Jesus' Historical Resurrection, by Gary Jensen
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ: Fact or Fiction? by Terry Watkins
Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources, by Michael Gleghorn

Those all came from a quick Google search. I haven't read them all, and I've read others that I didn't bother looking up that are good. The point is that it is a very easy subject to study. Again, I'd start there. Remember: unlike every other religion, Christianity is rooted in a historical event. If that event, the Resurrection of Christ, is true, then Christianity is true. If that event is false, then Christianity is false.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
l4ur4
Newbie Member

Post by l4ur4 »

Thank you for your response. I have already read two of the documents, and I will continue to read the rest. However, the thing that bothers me most is a personal relationship with God. I could say that the facts are overwhelmingly in Christianity's favor, and believe that Christ died, and was resurrected. I could call myself a Christian on those grounds. But it seems to me that the most important part of believing is communication and a sense of closeness with God. How do you achieve that? And if God chooses to talk back, how will I know?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

The relationship with God is like any other relationship. It grows over time. But it has to be established first, and that is where the links I posted above come in. In order to get that relationship started, you have to believe that "by believing Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, you have everlasting life" (John 20:31). If you are convinced by the evidence that Jesus is who He said He is, then you can believe what He said. And what did He say? Consider the following:
  • (John 3:14-18) Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

(John 5:24-25) I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

(John 6:40, 46-47) For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day . . . No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

(John 11:25-26) I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?
We could quote plenty more, but that's a good start. If you believe that Jesus is who He said He is, if you believe that you have everlasting life through Him, then you believe that God told the truth. You are, then, born again. You have everlasting life. That's the same thing men have always had to do to be saved, believe God (see Genesis 15:6).

Once you have everlasting life, then you commit yourself to the process of discipleship. That's a lifelong journey, but as you go through it, Jesus will guide you through it. Believers have the Holy Spirit living within them. There are high times and low times, but the growth is there, so long as you abide in Jesus and keep His commandments.

The short answer, then, is just to believe God. First, you believe Him about having everlasting life through Jesus Christ. Then, you believe Him about hearing your prayers, forgiving you of sins, helping you through the discipleship process, etc. The more promises of God you discover and believe, the deeper your relationship grows, and the more fruit God will bring from you. That, of course, requires you to study and grow so that you can learn what those promises are, but again . . . that is why it is a process.

So, start with those links. We aren't talking about just hoping Christianity is true. Look at the evidence and see if it doesn't convince you. If it doesn't, then ask some people here. They can help you work through your doubts. God will open your heart to the truth, and you'll find yourself convinced of the Truth, just as you are convinced of any other fact. The evidence is just overwhelming. Then . . . well . . . the real fun starts.

God bless! :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Jac has provided some excellent links. I know for myself that Mere Christianity by C S Lewis is still the greatest book for examining Christianity.

You asked about establishing a relationship. One thing I was encourage you to do is to immerse yourself in God's word. Think about it this way. If you were wanting to establish communication with someone you might read the e-mails or letters. God's word is His communication to us. I know for myself reading His word can be one of the most intimate ways to know JEsus. And I knw that I feel that most bereft when I have slipped in my reading. Get a good bible and start reading.

Welcome here and keep asking questions!
zoegirl
l4ur4
Newbie Member

Post by l4ur4 »

thank you so much for your reply. i have been meaning to read some c.s. lewis, so thank you for the suggestion!
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

zoegirl wrote:Jac has provided some excellent links. I know for myself that Mere Christianity by C S Lewis is still the greatest book for examining Christianity.

You asked about establishing a relationship. One thing I was encourage you to do is to immerse yourself in God's word. Think about it this way. If you were wanting to establish communication with someone you might read the e-mails or letters. God's word is His communication to us. I know for myself reading His word can be one of the most intimate ways to know JEsus. And I knw that I feel that most bereft when I have slipped in my reading. Get a good bible and start reading.

Welcome here and keep asking questions!
zoegirl
Zoegirl, this was a very good response. I consider myself to have a relationship with God, but I do get down sometimes. This has helped me out also. Thank you for this.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them