Man reaching into outer space; should christians go too?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Mochi
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Location: Aiea, Hawaii (On the Island of Oahu, near Honolulu)

Man reaching into outer space; should christians go too?

Post by Mochi »

I've been dreaming of going to the farthest reaches of the universe since as far back as i can remember.

These dreams have been mixed with my feelings of why I want to go so badly.
I sometimes say it's merely for exploratory reasons and when I'm around my buddies of course it's for the adventure.
Between you and me, I have to admit that my strongest reason is to simply touch the face of my creator from within my current physical being.
Flesh to flesh so to speak. Am I reaching to far? Can I expect my wings to melt and fall back to earth for trying?
I realize I am much too old now to join NASA and last time i checked my bank account I'm four figures short of enough money to buy a ticket on the Russian express, but my dreams are still there.

:cry: :cry:
Mochi
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Man reaching into outer space; should christians go too?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

God knows what you need before you ask. If God wanted you in space, he would have found a way to get you there.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Harry12345
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Harry12345 »

Mochi wrote:I've been dreaming of going to the farthest reaches of the universe since as far back as i can remember.

I sometimes say it's merely for exploratory reasons and when I'm around my buddies of course it's for the adventure.
Between you and me, I have to admit that my strongest reason is to simply touch the face of my creator from within my current physical being.
Flesh to flesh so to speak. Am I reaching to far? Can I expect my wings to melt and fall back to earth for trying?
I realize I am much too old now to join NASA and last time i checked my bank account I'm four figures short of enough money to buy a ticket on the Russian express, but my dreams are still there.

Mochi
Ah... the second tower of Babel.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

I don't think there is anything wrong with your desire to go into space (since i share it), but only the thought of touching your creator. He is not "out there" watching us. He is everywhere. You can no more (or nor less, for that matter) touch him from space than you could touch him from your backyard. Haven't you ever felt closer to Him while you were sitting out on some trail with no one else around for miles?

I think space is beautiful. The stars, the planets, the constellations and nebulae, and other, more exotic, images. Nothing wrong in my mind with wanting to see them, as long as it is for only the sake of seeing them and not reaching for something more.
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

I really think the second coming will happen and we will all be in the new creation with God before man can get off this earth.

If God wanted us to be on another planet it would have happened.

That being said i am a huge SCI FI fan.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
David Blacklock
Valued Member

Post by David Blacklock »

The reaon NASA doesn't have many projects into space is because it is so difficult and expensive.
The lack of gravity causes extreme muscle atrophy. The damaging radiation that is filtered out by earth's atmosphere would most probably kill astronauts.

Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History, had a few words to say about this: That the reasons for expensive national endeavors were reliant on funding from religion, greed, or warfare. Religion no longer had hold on statehood (except for Islam countries, who don't appear interested), greed doesn't have a wide general forum, and the cold war's death also called for the demise of the reason for so-called "starwars" type projects, the only way a president could justify that much money, regardless of its sureness of failure, at current science levels.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Be Patient.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Mochi wrote:I've been dreaming of going to the farthest reaches of the universe since as far back as i can remember.

Mochi
i personally wouldn't worry too much about this. God answers everything in His own time. While you may not touch the face of God in this physical life, after resurrection you will be able to. Have hope, keep dreaming, that's what it's all about. Without hope and dreams, what are we?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
N4SC
Familiar Member

Post by N4SC »

There's a simple way to see God's face, but you can't do it in the physical. You'd die from seeing God, He said it himself.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis