Confusion

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
He has risen
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Confusion

Post by He has risen »

A close friend of mine, that i have known for 10 years. Has recently 'expressed' concerning views on homosexuality. We have been attedning our local church together for 7 years and have what i deem to be full christian morals.

I was peturbed to hear his recent admissions of partial homosexuality. I must state that i do not know the full 'interactions' as i refused to listen to something that i feel to be un-christian. However he persisted on telling me that he had engaged in heavy petting. I have found varying reports on the internet. Some sites :

http://www.lgcm.org.uk/

and other sites that completly contrast this.

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c040.html

I find it hard to find a middle ground that either:
- Allows me to be friends with my friend
- Accept his choice
- Maintain my christian views.

What do you guys feel about this issue, your help would be much appreciated. I will pray for him and hope he can change his ways. Out of interest could he be forgiven?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Confusion

Post by BavarianWheels »

He has risen wrote:A close friend of mine, that i have known for 10 years. Has recently 'expressed' concerning views on homosexuality. We have been attedning our local church together for 7 years and have what i deem to be full christian morals.

I was peturbed to hear his recent admissions of partial homosexuality. I must state that i do not know the full 'interactions' as i refused to listen to something that i feel to be un-christian. However he persisted on telling me that he had engaged in heavy petting. I have found varying reports on the internet. Some sites :

- Accept his choice

What do you guys feel about this issue, your help would be much appreciated. I will pray for him and hope he can change his ways. Out of interest could he be forgiven?
While I don't condone the lifestyle, I don't think it's anything "more" sinful than being friends with other sinners. The problems come in when the "sin" is seen as an acceptable lifestyle, but even still, I don't think you should push your friend out of your life for confiding in you.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Start with this question, perhaps.

Does God still love him? What did Jesus say to the woman who was taken in the sin of adultery? What did He do?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

He has risen wrote:A close friend of mine, that i have known for 10 years. Has recently 'expressed' concerning views on homosexuality. We have been attedning our local church together for 7 years and have what i deem to be full christian morals.

- Accept his choice

What is his conscience on this? Did he come to you for help and understanding, or act as though such was fine?

It is quite a feat to not mix with anyone who is sinful, for that we would have to divorce ourselves from everyone including our self. It is another thing for a Christian to justify their sin. Justification of sin has no place in Christianity, only justification of sinners through Christ.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I agree with all of the responses here. You've been dealing with this for awhile and know more. Is he unrepentent? Is he looking for acceptance of sin? I think it would be harder to maintain friendship in this situation, but I think only you can know that. There are people I've known who purposely sin but I really like them and want to be there to help them; there are other people I don't feel that way about. I hope it's the Holy Spirit that is guiding me in these matters, since that is what makes for success and meaning in these situations.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

If someone claims to be a Christian but is unrepentantly sinning, does 1 Corinthians 5:11 still apply today?
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Daniel wrote:If someone claims to be a Christian but is unrepentantly sinning, does 1 Corinthians 5:11 still apply today?
Yes, First it would be best to verify why they think that they are a Christian. Make sure they know and beleive the Gospel.

If they do believe, then you should confront them on there sin. First by yourself; if still unrepentant, then with 2-3 more; if still unrepentant, then bring it before the congregation. ( I can't remember the verses where it speak of this, but Iam sure someone will ablige)
If still unrepentant, Then apply 1 Corinthians 5:11.
David Blacklock
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by David Blacklock »

You should be just as tolerant with this guy as you would with someone who had a speech impediment. It appears that homosexuality has strong genetic causes, as well as environmental.

DB