discovery health program

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

discovery health program

Post by zoegirl »

So here's something I was pondering and wanted to share.

Last night the Discovery Health Channel showed a program about proper diet. Watching it, however, made me realize just how saturated the evolutionary *philosophy* is in the science media.

FOr instacnce, they had a group of people who had a very poor diet live in a zoo and exist on an "evolutionary diet" that was essentially the same as gorillas, mimicking our past, for twelve days. (not even going into the not-so-subtle humans=animals in the zoo aspect....I certainly don't disagree that we are animals physiologically, but from an existence level, we certainly are not...being made in the image of GOd...)

I have a couple of problems with this.

My first problem concerns their reason for examining this diet. They hailed this diet's great points BECAUSE it was based on the evolutionary thinking. Now, I don't disagree with the diet's main premise. Essentially plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts....low salt, low saturated fats, lots of fiber, etc....but the implication was that we can only gather information about proper diet by "thinking evolutionary". As if we couldn't come up with the proper diet without considering this. And the humurous but sad part is that before this new revolutionary "everything has to be derived from evolutionary patterns", we already had the proper food pyramid mapped out!! There is a HUGE push to make it seem like we cannot examine anything unless we accept and base it on evolutionary history. But this leads to my second issue.

According to the evolutionary model, we would have evolved from a common ancestor (not, by the way, from gorillas or chimps themselves, but from a common ancestor) into a new niche with new behaviors, new dental patterns. So in this new niche, our diets WOULDN"T be the same as the gorilla. Or, perhaps more accurately, it is presumptuous to assume it is the same. Or that the same diet would be the best for us. In their model of human evolution, we did start eating meat. If this was good enough for our ancestors to survive (and survive well enough to beat out the other hominids!), then why return to the gorillas for our eating pattern?!??

ANyway.....thoughts????
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: discovery health program

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

zoegirl wrote: then why return to the gorillas for our eating pattern?!??
A couple of thoughts on this matter:

1. «Returning to gorillas» for our eating patterns may be a bit like going back to «The Good Olde Days» or «Old Fashioned Cooking» ...in an evolutionary way. It sounds like a good marketing ploy to me.

2. Eating like gorillas - eating just like our evolutionary cousins - smacks of Eastern mysticism / getting back to nature / or twisted karmic justice*.

I really don't think «science» or «evolution» has anything to do with the gorilla-diet-for-humans. In my opinion, they are simply buzzwords to distract you from another agenda.

FL

*You humans have destroyed our habitats! We gorillas knew all along how to eat properly!
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: discovery health program

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote:So here's something I was pondering and wanted to share.

Last night the Discovery Health Channel showed a program about proper diet. Watching it, however, made me realize just how saturated the evolutionary *philosophy* is in the science media.

FOr instacnce, they had a group of people who had a very poor diet live in a zoo and exist on an "evolutionary diet" that was essentially the same as gorillas, mimicking our past, for twelve days. (not even going into the not-so-subtle humans=animals in the zoo aspect....I certainly don't disagree that we are animals physiologically, but from an existence level, we certainly are not...being made in the image of GOd....

ANyway.....thoughts????
Hi Zoe,

This sounds like the next Hollywood diet craze!

I can hear the advertisement jingle:

Eat like a Gorilla and still lose weight!”

:dancing: -
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys