DEATH

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
larryh
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

DEATH

Post by larryh »

When our body dies as well as our brain, and our spirit passes, why do we think that our spirit should still think and act as if we still had an active brain and body? Wouldn't our earthly memories just fade away?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: DEATH

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

larryh wrote:Wouldn't our earthly memories just fade away?
Daniel 12:2, Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

If God is just -and he is - you would have to remember why you were ashamed, I think.

Then there is the parable of the rich man in Hell which Jesus told in Luke 16:19-31, Here are some snippets:

In hell, where he was in torment...he called to...Abraham, "...I beg you, send [Lazarus] to warn [my five brothers] so that they will not also come to this place of torment."

Again, the text suggests that memories of this life are kept after death.

FL

(quotes from NIV)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

I can recommend the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.
Thought provoking and true to scripture, Alcorn explores what the Bible tells us about death and heaven.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

larryh wrote:When our body dies as well as our brain, and our spirit passes, why do we think that our spirit should still think and act as if we still had an active brain and body? Wouldn't our earthly memories just fade away?
There is a thread on this site under Moral and Ethical Affairs that you may want to check out. It's a long read but worth the time if you are serious about what science has to say about the mind/soul.

It's on page one under "Is There a Spiritual Explanation For This?"
Scroll down to the 14th post-"Turgonian"-and use the link: Is there evidence for the existence for the soul?
Perhaps if one of our moderators is not too busy, he/she may supply a link.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
ADifferentKindOf
Newbie Member

Post by ADifferentKindOf »

Great Question! I've been doing alot of research on this, not just the spiritual aspect but the scientific. I think first you have to look at this with common sense and some knowledge and understanding of God and his purpose. For instance, why create the earth and humans and the sense of "memory" if none of these have a bearing on our spiritual afterlife. I believe and the bible indicates that we are all created with a knowledge of God. Whether this means just the knowledge that we are not alone, that we are created beings, that we are not in control, I'm not sure. But I do believe the part of us that seeks answers to these kinds of questions is "knowledge of God" and is very different from faith.

Use the knowledge of God that you are endowed with to help find answers that make the most sense to you, considering what the bible also gives us.

P.S. Right now I am researching the phenomenon of "feral" children and their relationship to God to gain a better understanding of what "knowledge" we are born with. y:-?
larryh
Newbie Member

Post by larryh »

Thank all of you for responding to my question, however i am not concerned of my relationship with God, it is what it is, and what will be has already been written. I am seeking answers that probably can not be answered, but i will continue to throw the questions out and maybe, just maybe, the answer will come in a word or sentance of some response that makes some sense to me. I do believe that we are born with God inbedded into our being and i have been blessed with the ability to think and sometimes i probably go to deep in my thought and that is why i am here. Maybe it is to test my faith or yours!!!
QUESTION?
If all, are sinners than who shall be worthy? When I die, does my spirit revert to only the knowledge of God and am I only a servent with no purpose other than serving God or is there more? Is there rememberance of life or are we all of one thought? Without the senses of our body,such as,touch, taste, sight, hearing, smelling, what must it be like in the spirit? No brain to learn or teach or to think, will the spirit be all knowing or closed, for only one thought, to praise God?
It is my belief that our life is a journey to God that we must continue through reincarnation until we live a life that is worthy.Some might say, what difference does it make, what happens after, as long as we may serve, but I thrive on opportunity and this is the greatest one to have and i look to excell if the possibility exists.
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

I don't see this concept of reincarnation as biblically supported. Do you have any verses to support this view?
Lufia
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Lufia »

We are not saved by our works. Only the grace of God
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

larryh wrote:It is my belief that our life is a journey to God that we must continue through reincarnation until we live a life that is worthy.
Reincarnation may be your belief but it is not Christian:

...man is destined to die once, and after that face judgement... -Hebrews 9:27 (NIV)

As for your other questions, they have been already answered by others here. You probably will not be able to understand - even less accept - the answers as long as you hold on to your belief of reincarnation.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

...man is destined to die once, and after that face judgement... -Hebrews 9:27 (NIV)
I have always struggled with this verse. Especially when it comes to the rapture. Does this mean that my physical body will die when I am raptured? I know that we are given new bodies, just as Christ received a glorified body after the resserection.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

obsolete wrote:I have always struggled with this verse. Especially when it comes to the rapture. Does this mean that my physical body will die when I am raptured? I know that we are given new bodies, just as Christ received a glorified body after the resserection.
Since you refered to the rapture, I'll cite the verses many hold to be concerning that.
1 Cor. 15:51 Behold, I show you a mystery:We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
52 In a moment, In the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption,and this mortal must put on immortality.
KJV.
Even though Paul writes of the dead rising, he says nothing of the physical body dying but rather a "changing" or a putting on of the immortal body. Backing up a bit to 1 Cor. 15:44, It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
There are some who believe we will disappear, leaving only our clothing but I'm not at all sure about that.
No matter the method of change, be it physical or miraculous we will be free of our corrupt, sinful bodies.
Glory Halleiujah!

I hope this helps.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

Since you refered to the rapture, I'll cite the verses many hold to be concerning that.
1 Cor. 15:51 Behold, I show you a mystery:We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
52 In a moment, In the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption,and this mortal must put on immortality.
KJV.
Interesting enough, my wife and I were disscussing this very thing yesterday. Paul makes this point just as clear to the church in Thessalonica in 1Thes. 4:13-17.
Glory Halleiujah!
:amen:
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.