heaven or heavens

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
because
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

heaven or heavens

Post by because »

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the ......heaven or heavens?

Rev. 22: 18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God......

What you say about this one? Does it really matter?
Open discussion.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: heaven or heavens

Post by B. W. »

because wrote:Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the ......heaven or heavens?

Rev. 22: 18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God......

Open discussion.
I am doing this from memory so bear with me — Gen: 1:1 would be 'heavens' translated from Hebrew into English referring to the entire universe.

As for Rev. 22:18 - this refers to the book of Revelations only meaning — do not write more to it or edit out anything.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
because
Acquainted Member

Post by because »

King James Version (KJV)
Genesis 1: 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

New International Version (NIV)
Genesis 1
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Which one is the right translation? King James or NIV
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

B. W. wrote:
because wrote:Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the ......heaven or heavens?

Open discussion.
I am doing this from memory so bear with me — Gen: 1:1 would be 'heavens' translated from Hebrew into English referring to the entire universe.
You're on the right track. It is the conjunctive though, 'shamayim et erets' (heavens and earth), meaning the entire universe. In the beginning God created everything - time, matter, space, energy.
because
Acquainted Member

Post by because »

I am the Alpha and the Omega the Beginning and the End. God is the beginning and the End. Before he created us there was no such thing as day or night (speculation). God do not have such thing as TIME. Time was created for us. In the beginning referring to Genesis 1:1 God created the heaven and the earth. Not heavens(speculating). Reason being on the first day (speculating) God created the bigger light (sun). At the fourth day he created the smaller light (moon) and the stars which consist to become "Heavens."(speculation). That is why I King James version might be the right translation. But, I am not all knowing and eager to accept enlightenment. Anyone who have the wisdom from God, please share the message.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

because wrote:I am the Alpha and the Omega the Beginning and the End. God is the beginning and the End. Before he created us there was no such thing as day or night (speculation). God do not have such thing as TIME. Time was created for us. In the beginning referring to Genesis 1:1 God created the heaven and the earth. Not heavens(speculating). Reason being on the first day (speculating) God created the bigger light (sun). At the fourth day he created the smaller light (moon) and the stars which consist to become "Heavens."(speculation). That is why I King James version might be the right translation. But, I am not all knowing and eager to accept enlightenment. Anyone who have the wisdom from God, please share the message.
King James translation is only an English (old English) translation of the original text. The authors would have never dreamt of it replacing the manuscripts of the original language, or it being a 100% accurate translation.
dayage
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by dayage »

In case someone makes their way back to this discussion:
Heaven in Hebrew is always plural (shamayim), so only the context will determine the translation (as with any word). In Genesis 1:1 it is the universe and combined with earth it here means the space, time, matter and energy as well as the galaxies, stars, etc.

In Gen. 1:6-9, 14-20, 28 and 30 the firmament (raqia), heaven, firmament of the heavens, air (is shamayim also) all refer to the sky, i.e. atmosphere.

This is just one of the reasons why day four has nothing to do with the creation of the sun, moon and stars, but has everything to do with the atmosphere being cleared, so that the light sources become visible to an earthbound observer. Genesis 1:2 is just one place that shows us that the frame of reference is the surface of the planet.

Hope this helps.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

because wrote:That is why I [think that the ] King James version might be the right translation.
The «right» translation is the one you are willing to pick up and read,

The point is: Before you trust, you have to listen. But unless Christ's word is preached, there is nothing to listen to. -The Message, Ro 10:17

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +