Music

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Music

Post by Jac3510 »

Any of you guys (or gals!) listen to classical music? I'm just starting to get into it. I don't understand it much, yet, but I'm just now starting to read up on it. AM I THE ONLY ONE?!?!?!?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Byblos
Old School

Re: Music

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:Any of you guys (or gals!) listen to classical music? I'm just starting to get into it. I don't understand it much, yet, but I'm just now starting to read up on it. AM I THE ONLY ONE?!?!?!?
Have you listened to Handel's Messiah yet? It is by far my favorite piece of classical music. Second would be Sheherazad (Rimsky Korsikov).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Jac3510 wrote:Any of you guys (or gals!) listen to classical music? I'm just starting to get into it. I don't understand it much, yet, but I'm just now starting to read up on it. AM I THE ONLY ONE?!?!?!?
Classic Rock...does that count?

I love classical music...don't know any of it by name or artist/composer...except the obivious ones, Handel's, Messiah, Beat-the-oven's 5th...yada, yada.

My cousin has one of those thingys that connects to a piano and makes it a Player Piano. She has all sorts of CDs with classical music on them...I could easily sit and relax to classical piano ALL DAY LONG!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

ha As much as we debate elsewhere, you got my support here. Started listening to classical music in middle school and still my favorite genre.

Baroque's my fav, with Handel (Messiah, Water music, fireworks) , Vivaldi (ANY of his concertos!), Bach (oratorios, Brandenburg concertos, violin concertos), Telemann (concertos) , Albinoni (same)...

Then Classical wqith Mozart (operas and and symphonies), Haydn (symphonies,concertos and his Creation, ah beautiful), and Beethoven (5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th symphonies are fav)...

Brahms, Liszt, Saint-Saen (Bacchanal, Organ concerto)
Wonderful!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Byblos wrote:Have you listened to Handel's Messiah yet? It is by far my favorite piece of classical music. Second would be Sheherazad (Rimsky Korsikov).
Only parts. I'd like to sit down and listen to the entire thing in one sitting. Absolutely beautiful. And I've never heard of Korsikov.
Bav wrote:Classic Rock...does that count?

I love classical music...don't know any of it by name or artist/composer...except the obivious ones, Handel's, Messiah, Beat-the-oven's 5th...yada, yada.

My cousin has one of those thingys that connects to a piano and makes it a Player Piano. She has all sorts of CDs with classical music on them...I could easily sit and relax to classical piano ALL DAY LONG!
Classic rock is all that is awesome in this wordl. ;)
zoe wrote:ha As much as we debate elsewhere, you got my support here. Started listening to classical music in middle school and still my favorite genre.

Baroque's my fav, with Handel (Messiah, Water music, fireworks) , Vivaldi (ANY of his concertos!), Bach (oratorios, Brandenburg concertos, violin concertos), Telemann (concertos) , Albinoni (same)...

Then Classical wqith Mozart (operas and and symphonies), Haydn (symphonies,concertos and his Creation, ah beautiful), and Beethoven (5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th symphonies are fav)...

Wonderful!!
You raise a good point. I need to figure out which period I like first, I think. "Classical," I've found, is a very broad term! Right now I know I like the cliche stuff, like Bav mentioned. Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata are beautiful. Mozart's "Requiem" is nice, too. I'm also a big, big fan of the violin . . . 'specially violin solos. I'd love to hear a great volionist concerto.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Ah, you know check out Bach's double violin concertos. Sweet....also Vivalsio has some beautiful violin concertos

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... fix=dp_img
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

zoegirl wrote:

ha As much as we debate elsewhere, you got my support here. Started listening to classical music in middle school and still my favorite genre.

Wonderful!!
Someone other than me that likes Albinoni?

YAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ebiggrin:
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Oh, absolutely, there is one favorite on one ofmy CD's that, no matter what I'm doing at the time, mkes me work/play/relax even better. Amazing how classical music has that ability
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

I like Motzart and Brahms. Brahms makes me feel like I am in an old horror movie. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

Handels's "Messiah" is inspirational...and not just for Christmas. It reflects the entire life of Christ. Pure scripture set to music. I remember going to hear it at the West Point Cadet Chapel in New York when I first became a Christian.
I have always enjoyed Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Zebulon
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Zebulon »

zoe wrote: I'd love to hear a great volionist concerto.
Vivaldi 4 Seasons

My favorite excerpts :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-MIDDfckw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXc ... re=related

Zebulon
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Swamper wrote:
Someone other than me that likes Albinoni?

YAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ebiggrin:
Hi Swamper.

I like Albinoni to relax. Like Adagio in G minor. A wonder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4

Zebulon
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

I like all Mozart and Beethoven Piano Conciertos with Orchestra and I have a blink when played by Murray Perahia at the piano.
Bethov Piano no. 5 for Piano and Orchestra but others are very delightfull to.
All Mozart conciertos. Candies for the ears and soul. Except 15 and 16 a bit less.

Mozart Coronation Mass Agnus Dei is so wonderfull I lift up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OAtyQIe ... re=related

There is marvelous Gregorian Chants as well.

The Magic Flute Queen of the Night It is not a flute but her Voice... gift of God. Amazing !

Take the time and listen to it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ODfuMMyss

but so mutch more ... I like classical music.

Zebulon
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Well, I should've posted my music link here. Switchfoot: Learning to Breathe. But this is a different one, from youtube (the quality could be better):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=27VjJZl_BdE

Here's a very different song (than above), very beautiful. All you Canadians know Bruce Cockburn; this is an older one from Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws. It actually helped me come to Christ.

http://www.imeem.com/people/2BQkxpE/mus ... flashback/
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
AndrewK
Newbie Member

Post by AndrewK »

Jac3510 wrote: Classic rock is all that is awesome in this wordl. ;)
I feel I must agree there, but I could definitely go for some classical from time to time. I really like Bach and am a pretty big fan of Holst's Planets Suite.