Hate crimes for Christians?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Harry12345
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hate crimes for Christians?

Post by Harry12345 »

The UK has recently passed a law which makes it illegal to discriminate against people of a different colour or religion, and it enforces harsher punishments against hate crimes committed toward people based on their race or religion.

1) Do you think religious people should be covered by hate crime laws?

2) Do you think anti-discrimination laws should apply to religious discrimination?

3) How comparable is religion to race?

:wave:
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Hate crimes for Christians?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Harry12345 wrote:[the new law] enforces harsher punishments against hate crimes committed toward people based on their race or religion.
I'm assuming that the «harsher» punishments are harsher in relation to the punishment that a person would get if they just beat you up to steal your car, for example.

The UK makes laws for the UK and the laws probably reflect your needs, or perceived needs, or the needs of a vocal group within your society. From what I know about the UK, the new law will help the muslim minority to more easily transform British society into Britanistan. So be it.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Yes.

2. No. Discrimination in and of itself is not wrong. Discrimination is a way a person, a group or a society makes choices which affect the future:

discriminate: To separate, distinguish between [see discern] ... to analyse, demarcate, determine ... to use good judgement ... (Merriam Webster)

3. As far as I'm concerned, religion and race are independent of each other...but I use dictionary definitions of race and religion to understand both concepts. Troublemakers will seek to blend these two and add language into the mixture to make it more explosive.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

We have those types of laws here in the US, and I'm not sure if California has more or harsher sentencing. I actually hadn't thought about this that much since it's out of my hands anyway. But, thinking about it now, I don't see why some crimes should be punished more harshly than others when they're all the same - assaults, say. It could be that burning a cross on someone's lawn would have only been a misdemeaner, even though something like that is obviously different than just throwing your trash on the lawn; so I don't know - it seems like in that case the sentencing should be harsher (this actully happens here in S Cal once in a while!).

Race and religion are not comparable, but obviously they can both be targeted. I think if you're going to have antidiscrimination laws, it should apply to both. If these are the laws that the ACLU is using, though, then they are working against Christianity in the US.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

I would like to hear from a few of our Canadian friends on this issue. I understand the hate crimes law has been in effect in that country for some time now and I wonder how it's working.
The problem, from what I have heard, is that some countries/states/provinces have had difficulty trying to define "hate", which has lead to some confusion.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Harry12345,

How do you pronounce Islay? I pronounce it EYE-lay but I've heard it pronounced ISS-lay, ISS-lah and even AYE-wah.

Who's right?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

rodyshusband wrote:I would like to hear from a few of our Canadian friends on this issue. I understand the hate crimes law has been in effect in that country for some time now and I wonder how it's working.
The problem, from what I have heard, is that some countries/states/provinces have had difficulty trying to define "hate", which has lead to some confusion.

It seems to be working seemlessly. The pastor at a Baptist church I attended when the law was being passed in 2002 said it would never silence him. I have never heard of it since.

Until last week. I was at work when a Muslim came in wearing a djellaba and a funny hat, looking to buy stuff (his clothing made him look like he was getting ready to go to bed in.) He was giving one of the employees a hard time, so I said out loud, «If you are not happy, take your camel and leave!»

He became very angry and started yelling at me, up close in my face. At one point he said «I could take you to court over your comment!» I blurted out laughing. He eventually left. What was interesting was that the security guard on site did not intervene, neither did two of my bosses intervene. Afterwards, they told me (jokingly) that they didn't want to have the place blown up, and that I should check under my car for a bomb that night (!) and to make sure no one followed me home.

My camel-comment was out of place and insensitive. The reaction of the security man and the two higher-ups may be indicative of what the law has done.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Harry12345,

How do you pronounce Islay? I pronounce it EYE-lay but I've heard it pronounced ISS-lay, ISS-lah and even AYE-wah.

Who's right?

FL
I have no idea... y:O2 What's "Islay"?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Harry12345 wrote:What's "Islay"?
Islay is an island off Scotland from which comes some of the best scotch.

FL

PS...islay is also a variety of california plum, but who cares?

+ + +

+ + +
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Harry12345 wrote:What's "Islay"?
Islay is an island off Scotland from which comes some of the best scotch.

FL

PS...islay is also a variety of california plum, but who cares?
Hi FL,

Any of them sold in our Belle Province?

Zebulon
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Zebulon wrote:Any of them sold in our Belle Province?
Yes:

Lagavulin 16 years @ $89.00
Bowmore 18 years @ $119.00

check http://www.saq.com for availability, as not all stores have them.

These are the best, in my opinion. The Lagavulin is better than the Bowmore...if you like the peculiar taste of Islay scotch.

FL
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+ + +

+ + +
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
rodyshusband wrote:I would like to hear from a few of our Canadian friends on this issue. I understand the hate crimes law has been in effect in that country for some time now and I wonder how it's working.

It seems to be working seemlessly. The pastor at a Baptist church I attended when the law was being passed in 2002 said it would never silence him. I have never heard of it since.

Until last week. I was at work when a Muslim came in wearing a djellaba and a funny hat, looking to buy stuff (his clothing made him look like he was getting ready to go to bed in.) He was giving one of the employees a hard time, so I said out loud, «If you are not happy, take your camel and leave!»

He became very angry and started yelling at me, up close in my face. At one point he said «I could take you to court over your comment!» I blurted out laughing. He eventually left. What was interesting was that the security guard on site did not intervene, neither did two of my bosses intervene. Afterwards, they told me (jokingly) that they didn't want to have the place blown up, and that I should check under my car for a bomb that night (!) and to make sure no one followed me home.

My camel-comment was out of place and insensitive. The reaction of the security man and the two higher-ups may be indicative of what the law has done.

FL
If I did that, in Britian, I WOULD be taken to court, under the recently passed "Stirring Up Religious Hatred Act"! :o
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Harry12345 wrote:If I did that, in Britian, I WOULD be taken to court, under the recently passed "Stirring Up Religious Hatred Act"!
Actually, I was afraid to be charged until I remembered that worry is a sin.

There are two mosques within walking distance of my home, one is even closer than the closest church! I have never seen camels parked around either mosque during services.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I have never seen camels parked around either mosque during services.

FL
Is no-one turning up then? y:-?

:pound:
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote: Yes:

Lagavulin 16 years @ $89.00
Bowmore 18 years @ $119.00

check http://www.saq.com for availability, as not all stores have them.
Thanks Fürstentum. I will have to convince my wife on this one... it is a bit out of our budjet. We spend money on Eau de Vie 2 times a year, and we still have third of a bottle of Calvados. And she likes Calvados over Scotch. Luckyly we purchased Calvados the last 2 times so I will have a go to try Lagavulin (souds like a medication name :ewink: ). I like Poire Williams as well, the Mannessez Poire Prisonnií¨res, 50 piasses only and you get the carafe with a pear inside.

Take care.

Zebulon :cheers:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Harry12345 wrote:
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I have never seen camels parked around either mosque during services.

FL
Is no-one turning up then? y:-?

:pound:
Oh....you're baaaaad! (I should report you to the Hatred Police. :guns: )

FL

EDIT: P.S for Zebulon: if you are unaccustomed to whisky, do not buy an Islay. You would simply be throwing your money away, and $89 is a lot to throw away. Try instead The Famous Grouse, a widely available scotch which - on the palate - has hints of Calvados and butter. The nose is of sweet ripe fruit and oak; the finish is long and hints of peat and smoke. At around $25 it is great value and a good intro into the world of scotch.

+ + +

+ + +