Q debunked?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Dazed and Confused
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Q debunked?

Post by Dazed and Confused »

I recently came across an idea that the "Q" document does not address certain aspects of the Gospels. One of them being "Q's" failure to account for the different presentations of Jesus Christ. The book of Matthew presents Christ as Messiah King, Mark presents Jesus as a Servant, Luke presents Jesus as a Man and the book of John shows Christ to be God. If the supposed "Q" theory is correct it seems to skip over this concept completely. The claim is that the synoptic Gospels were all derived from a single source, that being "Q". If I understand the theory correctly than, Mark was written first using "Q" as it's template and than latter Matthew used the same source material to write his Gospel. And then following suit was the Gospel of Luke. Thus we have a synoptic problem or "why are the first three Gospels so similar". I believe the "Q" theory suggest that Matthew, Mark and Luke were written independently by different authors who supposedly forged their accounts. If this theory is true then why all the different presentations of Christ. When you look at the book of Revelation 4:7 you see the four creatures surrounding the throne of God. One of the creatures I believe has the face of a Lion which represents a King using biblical typology. Another creature had the face of an Ox which represents a Servant. One had the face of a man which well represents a Man. And alas one had the face of an Eagle which again is represented by biblical typology as God. Thus Matthew=King/Lion, Mark=Servant/Ox, Luke=Man/Man, John=God/Eagle. If I am correct in my assumption than this should efficiently debunk the "Q" theory, as it should be apparent that there is only one true author of the bible. How else could all these presentations come together in perfect harmony written in the last book of the bible. I know that these four creatures are also represented in Ezekiel, but that would imply a greater collusion then “Q” could ever claim. Any thoughts about this before I throw myself to the wolves :)
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Q debunked?

Post by Gman »

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8