Isn't the OEC vs YEC debate pushing away believers?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
kurtney64
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Isn't the OEC vs YEC debate pushing away believers?

Post by kurtney64 »

If God can see the future and knew what was going to happen with the debate over Genesis why would he make it so debatable? Meaning… many people have been driven away from the church and faith because they believe that science and the bible contradict, based on the young earth theory. Couldn't God see that this problem would occur and could have changed the scriptures to avoid it?

As I have recently been struggling with my faith, this question becomes more apparent. When young people today are being basically being taught that the idea of ID is non-sense and the belief in it basically makes them unintelligent, doesn't that put them at a large disadvantage? It seems unfair that God would sentence a non-believer to hell, when this is the world they were raised in.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Isn't the OEC vs YEC debate pushing away believers?

Post by cslewislover »

kurtney64 wrote:If God can see the future and knew what was going to happen with the debate over Genesis why would he make it so debatable? Meaning… many people have been driven away from the church and faith because they believe that science and the bible contradict, based on the young earth theory. Couldn't God see that this problem would occur and could have changed the scriptures to avoid it?
But there is a great deal in the bible that people debate, not just this. God wants us to trust him and love him, and accept the Holy Spirit. Then we'll know what we need to know, and leave the rest to God.

Deuteronomy 29:29

As I have recently been struggling with my faith, this question becomes more apparent. When young people today are basically being taught that the idea of ID is non-sense and the belief in it basically makes them unintelligent, doesn't that put them at a large disadvantage? It seems unfair that God would sentence a non-believer to hell, when this is the world they were raised in.
There is much controversy that young people and everyone else have to deal with. They will need to have the right attitude to deal with it. There are many threads dealing with hell on the board, however. Anyway, what you're asking is very broad. Would you want to get more detailed?
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

kurtney64 wrote:many people have been driven away from the church and faith because they believe that science and the bible contradict...
If people are «driven away from the faith» because of this, they probably didn't have a saving faith anyway...so they haven't lost anything.

cslewislover was right when she said,
cslewislover wrote:God wants us to trust him and love him, and accept the Holy Spirit.
Anything else is window dressing.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

kurtney64 wrote:If God can see the future and knew what was going to happen with the debate over Genesis why would he make it so debatable? Meaning… many people have been driven away from the church and faith because they believe that science and the bible contradict, based on the young earth theory. Couldn't God see that this problem would occur and could have changed the scriptures to avoid it?
It's a valid question... We can clearly see that the Bible and science do not contradict themselves.. I don't see God as muddying up the waters as much as the humans, and often it comes in the form of wrong translations of the Bible...

Perhaps these pages listed here will help..

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... Criticisms
kurtney64 wrote:As I have recently been struggling with my faith, this question becomes more apparent. When young people today are being basically being taught that the idea of ID is non-sense and the belief in it basically makes them unintelligent, doesn't that put them at a large disadvantage?
No one, whether they are a strict evolutionist or a creationist has the complete answer to our origins when it comes to science.. It is practically faith driven on both sides of the coin...
kurtney64 wrote:It seems unfair that God would sentence a non-believer to hell, when this is the world they were raised in.
I think this page will help....

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... heard.html
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
rodyshusband
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

As I have recently been struggling with my faith, this question becomes more apparent. When young people today are being basically being taught that the idea of ID is non-sense and the belief in it basically makes them unintelligent, doesn't that put them at a large disadvantage? It seems unfair that God would sentence a non-believer to hell, when this is the world they were raised in.
"Early in the twentieth century, some held the pretribulational rapture to be central to the faith. Great controversy followed, but eventually most Bible believers realized the issue was not worthy of such contention. Perhaps one day this will be true of the age-of-the earth controversy. Creationist leaders should work hard to understand the data. And exploring, holding, and promoting various creationist views are legitimate projects. But promoting the controversy as a basis for disunity in the church is another matter."
---"How Should a Christian Understand the Age of the Earth Controversy?", Ted Cabal, "The Apologetics Study Bible", pgs. 877-888 (final paragraph)
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer