Thanksgiving Day Prayer

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Thanksgiving Day Prayer

Post by B. W. »

Here is a little Thanksgiving Day y[-o<

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey be plump

May your potatoes and gravy
have nary a lump

May your yams be delicious
and your pies take the prize

and may your Thanksgiving dinner
stay off your thighs!

:amen:

(by an unknown author)

Happy Thanksgiving Day Everyone! :wave:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Swamper
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Thanksgiving Day Prayer

Post by Swamper »

:amen:
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Lol. Thanks for that BW. I can't help but make a suggestion. The meter would be better if it said "off of your thighs." Can't help it, lol. My pie is always great. My stuffing won't be as good this year, however, since I forgot the sausage that I usually put in it :brick:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Thanks B.W. and a Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Off topic here (I'm getting good at that) and I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading A Land Unknown-Hells Dominion. :clap:

In the early parts, I saw alot of myself being so similar to your own experience with friends, family, and others, and likewise being agnostic but without the courage to attach atheist. I believe it has to do with our closeness in age and the age that it was.

I sincerly thank you for taking the effort to record this event in your life so that others may truly see.
I think it must have taken alot of determination and courage to begin and finish this work.

Thanks again,

Roger
I am the wretch the song refers to.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cross.eyed wrote:Thanks B.W. and a Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Off topic here (I'm getting good at that) and I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading A Land Unknown-Hells Dominion. :clap:

In the early parts, I saw alot of myself being so similar to your own experience with friends, family, and others, and likewise being agnostic but without the courage to attach atheist. I believe it has to do with our closeness in age and the age that it was.

I sincerly thank you for taking the effort to record this event in your life so that others may truly see.
I think it must have taken alot of determination and courage to begin and finish this work.

Thanks again,

Roger
Thank you fo rthe kind words Cross-eye!

What part of Kentucky are you from? In the book I mentioned my grandparent's farm which is over the hill from Jenkins Kentucky in Pound VA. Ever heard of these places? By chance you live near by? or been in that area around Big Stone Gap?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

B. W. wrote:

Thanks again,

Roger

What part of Kentucky are you from? In the book I mentioned my grandparent's farm which is over the hill from Jenkins Kentucky in Pound VA. Ever heard of these places? By chance you live near by? or been in that area around Big Stone Gap?
-
-
-
I live in a small burg called Wurtland, (pop. 1200) saaluute! about twenty minutes north-west of Ashland Ky.

Yes I do know these places and I might add that I once knew the Jenkins/Neon area a little too well while I was pulling a forty-five foot tanker loaded with gasoline and heating oil into that region, up to and including Pound Va.

These places had alot of money floating around in those days coming from coal mines and ensuing business'.
I would often stay overnight somewhere there and party with the locals. A person could find just about anything a corrupt heart desires and some things I didn't want to find, but they found me anyway.
I've been through Big Stone Gap (beautiful scenery) many times.

I remember a roadside dump on the right side of the road (descending into Pound) where there were a lot of dead human bodies found over an inordinate amount of time (one fellow told me it was about one per week!).
Was there any of that going on in your day?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cross.eyed wrote:
B. W. wrote:

Thanks again,

Roger

-
-
-
I live in a small burg called Wurtland, (pop. 1200) saaluute! about twenty minutes north-west of Ashland Ky.

Yes I do know these places and I might add that I once knew the Jenkins/Neon area a little too well while I was pulling a forty-five foot tanker loaded with gasoline and heating oil into that region, up to and including Pound Va.

These places had alot of money floating around in those days coming from coal mines and ensuing business'.I would often stay overnight somewhere there and party with the locals. A person could find just about anything a corrupt heart desires and some things I didn't want to find, but they found me anyway. I've been through Big Stone Gap (beautiful scenery) many times.

I remember a roadside dump on the right side of the road (descending into Pound) where there were a lot of dead human bodies found over an inordinate amount of time (one fellow told me it was about one per week!).
Was there any of that going on in your day?
I was not aware of that happening about people disappearing finding dead bodies - what years were these? So this place was dropping into Pound from Jenkins?

Also, going into Pound, you'll see the Gary F. Powers markers - well - that is my late Uncle! He, my grandfather, and my Dad taught me to shoot and take care of fire arms down in Pound. Uncle Gary was a crack shot. He hit a running rabbit with a 22 pistol at about 60 feet - one shot!

For those of you who do not know who Gary Powers was: he is the U-2 pilot shot down over Russia May 1960 and broke up a summit between the USSR and the USA. He spent about two years in a Soviet prison before being released.

Small world! Hope to visit the area next summer!
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

I traipsed around there in the years ' 78, and ' 79,but this had started years (?) before and it had abated somewhat by then.

To the best of my memory, some or many of the corpse' were from out of state.
The route number eludes me, but it was called Pine Mountain ( I think...).

Wow, Gary Powers was your uncle!
He was, at the very least, a national hero.