Obama chooses Rick Warren for inauguration..

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Obama chooses Rick Warren for inauguration..

Post by Gman »

Ok, who says that Obama was always biased against the Christians? :ewink:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/18/ ... cnnSTCText
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Re: Obama chooses Rick Warren for inauguration..

Post by zoegirl »

hmmm, I'm still the cynic....Obama uses anyone who will get him approval. He will support gay marriage and gay rights. I wonder if the debate hosted by Rick made Obama realize that choosing him wilkl placate CHristians.

I do think he respects him....I see it as political win-win for him. He will still support gay rights....in the long run someone speaking at inaguration means nothing with rtespect to laws and definition of marriage.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Well, it says something that the most liberal people are mad about it. I actually avoid stuff by Rick Warren - not because I know all about him and think he's bad. I avoid his stuff because conservative Christians bad-mouth him, and I don't want to be tempted to do that. Apparently he agrees with biblical principles, that's why the liberals are mad. At least Obama isn't having a Muslim speak, or something like that. To have a Christian like that speak is a good thing. But what good it will do in the long run . . . we'll see. Also, not all mega churches are bad. I was really surprised to find out that by the definition of mega church, the one I go to is one (one of the smaller ones, but still in there), and it's completely bible-based.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

cslewislover wrote:... Also, not all mega churches are bad. I was really surprised to find out that by the definition of mega church, the one I go to is one (one of the smaller ones, but still in there), and it's completely bible-based.
You mean there exist churches that aren't? :esurprised:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Byblos wrote:
cslewislover wrote:... Also, not all mega churches are bad. I was really surprised to find out that by the definition of mega church, the one I go to is one (one of the smaller ones, but still in there), and it's completely bible-based.
You mean there exist churches that aren't? :esurprised:
Lol, are you being serious? I wasn't thinking of Catholic or Orthodox churches when I wrote that, by the way.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

cslewislover wrote:Lol, are you being serious? I wasn't thinking of Catholic or Orthodox churches when I wrote that, by the way.
No, actually I was being a little facetious. It's just that I think whenever the expression 'Bible-based church' is used the underlying assumption is that it's a non-Catholic church, as if Catholic churches are not Bible-based. It's one of those hang-ups I have, sorry. :wave:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Byblos wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Lol, are you being serious? I wasn't thinking of Catholic or Orthodox churches when I wrote that, by the way.
No, actually I was being a little factitious. It's just that I think whenever the expression 'Bible-based church' is used the underlying assumption is that it's a non-Catholic church, as if Catholic churches are not Bible-based. It's one of those hang-ups, I have, sorry. :wave:
It's quite allright. y@};-
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

I still can't get a grasp on Obama, it is surprising he picked Warren, which gives me more to hope for...or more to be skeptical of.

If he really does lead from the center (thats the best we could hope for) then it is possible we could get more done in the house and senate, but, I don't forsee much being hashed out with abortion or the DOMA.

Care to take a guess anyone??
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Cross.eyed wrote:I still can't get a grasp on Obama, it is surprising he picked Warren, which gives me more to hope for...or more to be skeptical of.

If he really does lead from the center (thats the best we could hope for) then it is possible we could get more done in the house and senate, but, I don't forsee much being hashed out with abortion or the DOMA.

I know what you are saying, but Bush didn't do much for abortion either.. As far as I know it's still legal to have one...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Yes it is still legal and probably will be for some time to come.

ALL politicians hammer on this while running for office and afterwards, we hear little about it from them.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Cross.eyed wrote:Yes it is still legal and probably will be for some time to come.

ALL politicians hammer on this while running for office and afterwards, we hear little about it from them.
Yes, I think that many politicians probably fall into this category.. Whether they are a dem or a republican..

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Gman wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:I still can't get a grasp on Obama, it is surprising he picked Warren, which gives me more to hope for...or more to be skeptical of.

I know what you are saying, but Bush didn't do much for abortion either.. As far as I know it's still legal to have one...
Bush signed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act and forced it in at a federal level when Obama kept knocking it back in his state. Some other things I have read include:
  • Banned Partial Birth Abortion — by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
  • Reversed Clinton's move to strike Reagan's anti-abortion Mexico Policy.
  • By Executive Order (EO), reversed Clinton's policy of not requiring parental consent for abortions under the Medical Privacy Act.
  • By EO, prohibited federal funds for international family planning groups that provide abortions and related services.
  • Upheld the ban on abortions at military hospitals.
  • Made $33 million available for abstinence education programs in 2004.
On the issue of this thread, does inauguration by Warren really mean that much?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

No, the inaugural speech really means nothing. That's why I am inclined to see it simply as political maneuvering. I wonder why he picked him, other than he talked with him a bit. I will be far more impressed if he choose supreme court judges who were prolife than choosing someone to give a speech who is pro-life. He can annoy the gay-marriage crowd all he wants with someone else's speech as long as *he* supports them elsewhere. It's not as if he agrees with him.

Now perhaps he does view him with respect and let's keep praying, after all, Rick is God's instrument and He could choose that relationship to bring Obama back to a more CHristian worldview.

Thanks for the facts on Bush, K, There is a BIG difference between Obama and Bush on that issue and we will see the fruits of this election on that issue alone.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

It's odd how the media refers to Warren as "America's Pastor"...he most certainly is not mine. I am not a follower of Warren and the emergent church. The term "Bible-based" is thrown around quite a bit and any church that makes such a claim should be opened to scrutiny (Jehovah's Witness churches are "Bible-based").
President-elect Obama's choice of Warren is strictly politically based.
Allow me to put this question out to all: If you disagree with Obama's choice, who would you have liked to see him pick?
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kurieuo wrote: Bush signed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act and forced it in at a federal level when Obama kept knocking it back in his state. Some other things I have read include:
  • Banned Partial Birth Abortion — by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
  • Reversed Clinton's move to strike Reagan's anti-abortion Mexico Policy.
  • By Executive Order (EO), reversed Clinton's policy of not requiring parental consent for abortions under the Medical Privacy Act.
  • By EO, prohibited federal funds for international family planning groups that provide abortions and related services.
  • Upheld the ban on abortions at military hospitals.
  • Made $33 million available for abstinence education programs in 2004.
On the issue of this thread, does inauguration by Warren really mean that much?
Ok, you might have got me there... As for as Roe v. Wade, however, it would probably take a miracle to turn that over... Perhaps Obama maybe taking a different approach to it... http://www.prolifeproobama.com/plpo.pdf