Historicity of Christmas

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
rodyshusband
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Historicity of Christmas

Post by rodyshusband »

We know that the birth of Christ was, in all probability, not the 25th of December.
I recall reading, at one point, that His birth may have been in (our current calendar) July or, perhaps, early October.
In addition, I recall seeing an excellent presentation (PBS or History Channel) regarding the history of the magi.
Can anyone recommend any websites or readings on the above? I am interested in serious historical study only.
Thanks.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Gman
Old School

Re: Historicity of Christmas

Post by Gman »

Rody,

I've put part of it in another post.. A (possible) more accurate date could be used if we go by the constellation Virgo with the sun in her mid-body (during the evening) and the moon appearing below her feet as depicted in Revelation 12: 1-5. This occurrence happened around 3 to 2 BC in the month of September..

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =6&t=32814

The date from which we get Christmas today actually came from the Romans and their Gods I believe..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Gman wrote:The date from which we get Christmas today actually came from the Romans and their Gods I believe..
Or, more likely, because Hanukkah - the Jewish Feast of Dedication/Festival of Lights - falls on the 25th of Kislev, the Jewish month that approximates December. The early Christians, being all Jewish would have naturally selected the 25th to commemorate the birth of He who is the Light of the World.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Or, more likely, because Hanukkah - the Jewish Feast of Dedication/Festival of Lights - falls on the 25th of Kislev, the Jewish month that approximates December. The early Christians, being all Jewish would have naturally selected the 25th to commemorate the birth of He who is the Light of the World.

FL
Yes, there are various accounts on how we got the date... The most popular, I found was the wikipedia source, "German Protestant Paul Ernst Jablonski argued Christmas was placed on December 25 to correspond with the Roman solar holiday Dies Natalis Solis Invicti and was therefore a "paganization" that debased the true church."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

For me we can celebrate Christ's birth on any date... It really doesn't matter...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Gman wrote:For me we can celebrate Christ's birth on any date... It really doesn't matter...
Same here, it really doesn't matter what day.
What matters is why He was born

Given that, I confess that I do love the Christmas season.

Here in the Bible belt, we still see lots of nativity scenes in the yards and signs proclaiming joy and peace.

People from afar have personally told me how unusual it is to find so many "strangers" around here who walk up and start a conversation out of nowhere. Most of us are just country folk and friendly talks come naturally.

But come The Season, most people seem to be "in the spirit" and on their better behavior and It is likely that affects my attitude also.

But to tell the truth, I know in my heart that I should celebrate Christmas every day of the year knowing that we have recieved the greatest gift that could ever be offered-eternity with Christ.

In like manner of non-believers, I allow myself to get caught up in the worldly ways and forget all about that very special event that occurred one day over two thousand years ago.

One would think that one would celebrate every hour of every day for the greatest of all gifts.

I really hate to see the Christmas Season end.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Cross.eyed wrote: I really hate to see the Christmas Season end.
Me too Cross... I always hate taking down the Christmas tree every year. y:(

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Since I have a fake tree, I feel under no pressure to take it down and I love the lights and the colors of the ornaments so it stays up well into january (it doesn't hurt that I procrastinate). Then I start getting spring fever and if I dare take a step into Michael;s or another crafty store I am sucked into a sea of flowers.

The February the length of daylight makes me heave a sigh of relief and then birds start calling int he morning.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Gman wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote: I really hate to see the Christmas Season end.
Me too Cross... I always hate taking down the Christmas tree every year. y:(
I hold out as long as my wife will allow.
zoegirl wrote:Since I have a fake tree, I feel under no pressure to take it down and I love the lights and the colors of the ornaments so it stays up well into january (it doesn't hurt that I procrastinate). Then I start getting spring fever and if I dare take a step into Michael;s or another crafty store I am sucked into a sea of flowers.

The February the length of daylight makes me heave a sigh of relief and then birds start calling int he morning.
Thats about when I start dreaming of fishing season and when July comes I start remembering Christmas again...little by little.. (sigh!)
I am the wretch the song refers to.
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

Thanks, Gman!
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer