1Corinthians 6:12-13

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"—but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

I believe when we die we will have a physical resurrection.

I believe Jesus' resurrection was a physical and not a spiritual resurrection.

However,

after Jesus rose from the dead, He ate with His disciples.

My question:

What does Paul mean in verse 13 above when he said God will destroy the stomach and the food for the stomach?

It sounds like Paul is speaking of a spiritual resurrection, but I believe Paul believed in a physical resurrection, so what is Paul trying to say?

Thank you.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: 1Corinthians 6:12-13

Post by Christian2 »

I just thought of an answer.

Jesus could eat with His disciples because He had not yet ascended to the Father.

After ascending, He no longer needed food.

Same with us. We will have our resurrected bodies, but will no longer need food. We will be like the angels.

Sound good?

I never quite believed we would be eating and drinking in heaven.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Christian2 wrote:I just thought of an answer.

Jesus could eat with His disciples because He had not yet ascended to the Father.

Same with us. We will have our resurrected bodies, but will no longer need food. We will be like the angels.

Sound good?

But then Christ was resurrected a human...of flesh and bone...with scars on His hands. Kind of leaves the Creation of everything up in the air...doesn't it?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Christian2 wrote:I just thought of an answer.

Sound good?

But then Christ was resurrected a human...of flesh and bone...with scars on His hands. Kind of leaves the Creation of everything up in the air...doesn't it?
Explain further what you mean.

What do you think Paul meant in the Scriptures I cited?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Christian2 wrote:Explain further what you mean.

Was Christ resurrected as a spirit or in human flesh?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Christian2 wrote:Explain further what you mean.

Was Christ resurrected as a spirit or in human flesh?
Human flesh.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I've always read and had been told that we will have glorified bodies. Jesus appeared to his disciples in the middle of the room, not walking through the door. He was able to make his flesh body into a nonflesh body; so it's not the same as ours is now. Regarding eating, if what Paul says is true, then our glorified bodies' digestive system will be different. That's the only way I know how to take it, since Jesus ate, and in the New Earth/New Heaven, there will be a Tree of LIfe to partake from. (I will see if this verse is discussed in some sources I have; OK, not much discussed.)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

cslewislover wrote:I've always read and had been told that we will have glorified bodies. Jesus appeared to his disciples in the middle of the room, not walking through the door. He was able to make his flesh body into a nonflesh body; so it's not the same as ours is now. Regarding eating, if what Paul says is true, then our glorified bodies' digestive system will be different. That's the only way I know how to take it, since Jesus ate, and in the New Earth/New Heaven, there will be a Tree of LIfe to partake from. (I will see if this verse is discussed in some sources I have; OK, not much discussed.)
Wouldn't partaking of the Tree of Life simply mean that we will live forever? In other words, it is not talking about real food?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I don't know. That may be so. I've encountered many bible teachers that think we will eat in some way (Jesus did), but no one really knows, right? Jesus did say, however, that he wouldn't partake of the Passover again until it was fulfilled in heaven (Luke 22:16), so there's another food reference by him. And then there's the marriage supper of the lamb. Are these all just symbolic? I don't know.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis