Bear Grylls is Christian

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Bear Grylls is Christian

Post by Gman »

Folks,

Being naturally curious about Bear Grylls (from the tv series Man vs. Wild) I found recently that he is a very strong Christian and described it as being the "backbone" of his life.

“I've never met anyone who is an atheist in a lifeboat,” he said.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Bear Grylls is Christian

Post by BavarianWheels »

Interesting. It's a good thing however I still don't care for his show. What is so exciting about a guy going out to "survive" or "take-on" nature when he has a film crew at his side 24/7?

Survivor Man...he does all his own filming and is truly alone for the duration.
WConn
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by WConn »

BavarianWheels wrote:.
Interesting. It's a good thing however I still don't care for his show. What is so exciting about a guy going out to "survive" or "take-on" nature when he has a film crew at his side 24/7?

Survivor Man...he does all his own filming and is truly alone for the duration.
I actually enjoy his show along with Survivor man. Survivor man does his own filming and is in the survival situation usually for about a week. A difficult task to have to forage for food, build shelter and video and audio the whole thing. Survivor Man never seems to do a very good job finding food though. True, Bear has a film team with him and he also stays in an occasional Holiday Inn when he is surviving, but in fact his show is about instruction and entertainment, that's all.

I went thru the USAF water survival school, combat crew escape and evasion school, (SERE) and Jungle survival school to prepare to go to Vietnam. Having had the actual survival experience I enjoy watching Bear explain how to survive. It's amazing what a man can do when he must, to survive. Your standards for food and water go down quite quickly when you are thirsty and starving.

W
TCHOP561
Newbie Member

Post by TCHOP561 »

I love Man vs. Wild. I don't care if he sleeps in a hotel or if he has a camera crew with him. The intent of his show is to inform viewers how to survive in the wild and he does an excellent job of that. He does a well job of explaining things and expressing himself. I don't think for one second if the camera crews weren't there he would not be able to survive. He was in the UK Special Forces and served with the 21-SAS(R) as a trooper, survival instructor and Patrol Medic. Bear is entertaining and knows his stuff.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I do like Bear, I can't help but love Bruce Parry.

In the worst conditions, when everyone else on film has had enough he is still smiling. His capacity for hard work, never ending good nature and willingness to throw himself into the situation seems to endear him to every remote group of people he comes across, and me.

I do feel that on occasion Bear Grylls departs from survival techniques and is really trying to demonstrate how manly he his.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Hardly surprising ;) :ebiggrin:

y>:D<
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I haven't seen his show - we don't get cable. But at church on Sunday, they showed an interview with him, talking about his faith. It was nice; he's very down to earth. Lol.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

TCHOP561 wrote:I love Man vs. Wild. I don't care if he sleeps in a hotel or if he has a camera crew with him. The intent of his show is to inform viewers how to survive in the wild and he does an excellent job of that. He does a well job of explaining things and expressing himself. I don't think for one second if the camera crews weren't there he would not be able to survive. He was in the UK Special Forces and served with the 21-SAS(R) as a trooper, survival instructor and Patrol Medic. Bear is entertaining and knows his stuff.
It's hardly "Man vs. Wild"...it's more like "Man does crazy stunts to show off his survival skills"

I don't know Bear, but I'm sure he's a nice guy. As for his show, I simply prefer a real "survivor" show vs. staged stunts.