the age of the earth

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
rational skeptic
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

the age of the earth

Post by rational skeptic »

How old is the earth according to the Bible?

Let me rephrase that question: does the majority of christians believe the earth is as old as scientist say it is? if they don't agree with scientist, then what age do they give the earth?
Last edited by rational skeptic on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: the age of the earth

Post by BavarianWheels »

rational skeptic wrote:How old is the earth according to the Bible?
The Bible doesn't quote an age of the earth.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

BavarianWheels wrote:
The Bible doesn't quote an age of the earth.
Rational sceptic: in your Profile, it says that you are Christian. How can you be Christian and ask the question «How old is the earth according to the Bible?» Don't you read the Bible?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

Bavarian is right, the Bible doesn't give a specific age of the Earth. Neither does it give a specific age of Adam and Eve when they were created.

Honestly, IMPO, I think that Adam and Eve were created maybe around the prime of their lives, as was the Earth. So, when scientists say it is billions of years old, I laugh.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.
rational skeptic
Newbie Member

Post by rational skeptic »

Let me rephrase that question: does the majority of christians believe the earth is as old as scientist say it is? if they don't agree with scientist, then what age do they give the earth?
dayage
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by dayage »

rational skeptic,

Young earthers usually say 6,000 to 10,000 years. Some go as high as 100,000 yrs.

Wheels is right. The Bible does not give an age for the earth or the universe, but the Bible and Christianity have taught that creation is God's revelation. So, it can reveal things to us as well.

The Bible is consistent with an old earth. For example Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning" is a phrase used in the Old Testament for a period of time. So, verses 1-2 are describing the time from the creation of the universe 13.7 Bya to the newly fromed earth (covered by water, dark, no life or land) about 4.55 Bya. The six "days" describe periods of God's trasnformation of the EARTH from these initial conditions. i.e. not the universe.

Hebrews 4:1-11 shows us that the seventh day has not ended, and so on.

I do not know if the majority believe in an old earth, but many do. My guess would be if your talking laymen, no. If you mean scholars, maybe yes.