Where in Revelations and Exodus

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
JC333
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Where in Revelations and Exodus

Post by JC333 »

In Revelations: does it talk about 12 cities? Or the 7 Churches?

In Exodus: The promised land?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Where in Revelations and Exodus

Post by jlay »

Rev. 2 and 3 is about the seven churches of Asia Minor. You can google, "seven churches of revelation" and get plenty of info.

They were literal churches, but John's use of them may have symbolic significance.

Not familiar with 12 cities.

Promised Land:
Exodus 3:8
Duet 6:10
Duet 8:7
Duet 34
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

I know Christians that play in the praise band at their foursquare church that have cancer and other serious diseases that use medical marijuana. I think it affects their ability to process information because they seem to have come to the conclusion that certain cults are actually authentic Christian and they use the imperfections of the seven churches of Revelation to justify their position. They are incorrect, of course, but what can you do if they won't listen.
nd925
Familiar Member

Post by nd925 »

You know more than 1 "Christian" that plays in the worship group, that has cancer, and smokes marijuana for medical purposes? Are we sure they really have cancer and not smoking it for recreational purposes? I imagine they would have clouded judgment. The Pastor of this church knows of their smoking marijuana and continues to allow them to lead worship? Even if it is really for medical purposes? If I were the Pastor of the church I would certainly take them out of the music ministry for sure. There is no room for the church to allow them to be in a position to lead worship. Cults have been started in the name of Christianity with the use of marijuana and other drugs to "feel closer to God" or to have an "experience" with God. As far as their beliefs in certain cults being authentic Christians and their twisting of Scripture to justify it, the Pastor really needs to speak with them on it. If that doesn't work and they continue voicing their opinion, then they should be removed from the church. I believe Paul instructed Timothy to do that when dealing with false teachers. I don't recall the exact scripture, sorry.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

nd925 wrote:You know more than 1 "Christian" that plays in the worship group, that has cancer, and smokes marijuana for medical purposes? Are we sure they really have cancer and not smoking it for recreational purposes? I imagine they would have clouded judgment. The Pastor of this church knows of their smoking marijuana and continues to allow them to lead worship? Even if it is really for medical purposes? If I were the Pastor of the church I would certainly take them out of the music ministry for sure. There is no room for the church to allow them to be in a position to lead worship. Cults have been started in the name of Christianity with the use of marijuana and other drugs to "feel closer to God" or to have an "experience" with God. As far as their beliefs in certain cults being authentic Christians and their twisting of Scripture to justify it, the Pastor really needs to speak with them on it. If that doesn't work and they continue voicing their opinion, then they should be removed from the church. I believe Paul instructed Timothy to do that when dealing with false teachers. I don't recall the exact scripture, sorry.
Yes they really have cancer. The usage of medical marijana by Christians seems to be a trend I see from those coming to Christ from the "hippie" left generally speaking which is where they came from. I won't touch it for the pain of my arthiritis even if I could afford it. I'm against it. Are they being deceived? We all know what Revelations says on the subject. Interestingly, the church they attend was recently taken over by a bigger church and a Pastor whose mission in life is to lead cell based recovery churches was put in charge. He has a book out. I quickly read it a few months ago. Here it is: Recovery Cells: Small Groups for People in Recovery and here's his online resume: http://www.bigbearchristiancenter.org/i ... Resume.pdf

As a result, change is coming. They asked me what I thought and I told them to stay and surrender to the changes that that God is trying to do in their lives. They stayed.
nd925
Familiar Member

Post by nd925 »

I think you gave them good advice to stay and surrender to what God is trying to do in their lives. I am not sure where I stand on the use of medical marijuana in cases of severe illnesses like cancer. I am against being under the influence of marijuana or any other mind altering drug and leading worship or doing anything at a church. If you have a moment can you fill me in on what Revelations says on the subject. I have read Revelations but haven's studied it out yet. Thanks.
rstrats
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by rstrats »

JC333,

re: “Where in Revelations...”

re: “In Revelations...”

ageofknowledge,

re: “We all know what Revelations says...”

nd925,

re: “I have read Revelations...”

Any particular reason for adding an “s” at the end of Revelation?
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Post by Dazed and Confused »

ageofknowledge wrote:I know Christians that play in the praise band at their foursquare church that have cancer and other serious diseases that use medical marijuana. I think it affects their ability to process information because they seem to have come to the conclusion that certain cults are actually authentic Christian
Rastafarian's smoke marijuana before bible studies and the conclusion they came to was that Jesus came in the form of Hassie Salassie, he he I don't know how to spell his name.
and they use the imperfections of the seven churches of Revelation to justify their position. They are incorrect, of course, but what can you do if they won't listen.
Then I think they would be mistaken because two of the seven churches didn't appear to have any imperfections according to the words of Jesus. He says nothing about having anything against the church of Smyrna or Philadelphia. On the contrary:

"And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: The first and the last, who was dead, and has come to life, says this: 'I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death.'”

"And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this: 'I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 'Behold, I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—I will make them come and bow down at your feet, and make them know that I have loved you. 'Because you have kept the word of My perseverance, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 'I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 'He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name. 'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'”

If there are any imperfections with these two churches than could someone explain them to me.
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Dazed and Confused wrote:If there are any imperfections with these two churches than could someone explain them to me.
The imperfections are hard to spot but they do exist. Here they are:
Dazed and Confused wrote: He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death. [Letter to Smyrna]
and,
Dazed and Confused wrote:He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore [Letter to Philadelphia]
You must read between the lines. In the above examples from Revelation, you'll find the words «he who overcomes.» By implication, there are people in both these fine churches who will not overcome because they have always been tares, weeds, garbage...in other words, not God's elect. These are what we would call today «nominal Christians.» («Christians» in name only.) All churches have a mixture of nominal Christians and born-again Christians: and this is supported by scripture. Even every Protestant's favorite whipping boy - The Roman Catholic Church - will have born-again Christians! Salvation is individual , it isn't by alliance to a church or denomination.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +