Questions on the Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
WConn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Questions on the Bible

Post by WConn »

Is the Bible meant to be taken literally? I find much of the Bible to be quite disturbing, violent and not what
I thought it was going to be at all. Any comments?

W
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Questions on the Bible

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:Is the Bible meant to be taken literally? I find much of the Bible to be quite disturbing, violent and not what
I thought it was going to be at all. Any comments?

W
Yes, it should be taken literally, although there can be certain words from time to time that are simply figures of speech. What do you find disturbing that you already wouldn't find disturbing here on earth?

Thank you,
G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

Yes, there are many things disturbing here on earth, but we are talking about the Bible, the word of God.
I found this book to be extremely violent with the Lord directing his soldiers to put the enemy to the sword
and include the women and children. Is this right? Is this the way of God? Might these stories be the
words of MAN claiming to have been inspired by 'God. What purpose did all this serve?

thank you for your response,

W
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

The bible also mentions that God flooded the earth destroying all of humanity. That included grandmas, infants, etc. That is very disturbing too me. As well it should be. Why did God do this? Because the world was wicked.

God created life, and has the power and authority to end it. If you read the Bible without the proper perspective of who God is, then yes, you will have a hard time getting past such things.
Is this the way of God?
Isaiah 55: 7-11
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:Yes, there are many things disturbing here on earth, but we are talking about the Bible, the word of God.
I found this book to be extremely violent with the Lord directing his soldiers to put the enemy to the sword
and include the women and children. Is this right? Is this the way of God? Might these stories be the
words of MAN claiming to have been inspired by 'God. What purpose did all this serve?

thank you for your response,

W
WConn, a lot of it has to do with the nephilim. The nephilim were the hybrid offspring of fallen angels and human women (genetically altered). If you study the scriptures, these camps included these nephilim offspring. That is why God instructed the Israelis to kill them. They were a desperately wicked people with killing only on their minds. No where else will you ever find the destruction of children.

More about war.. God is NOT a warmonger.. He hates war, but sometimes we are forced into it. Just like World War II. No one wanted to go to war, but sometimes open war is upon us whether we would risk it or not.

More on war here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =3&t=32860

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

WConn, a lot of it has to do with the nephilim. The nephilim were the hybrid offspring of fallen angels and human women (genetically altered). If you study the scriptures, these camps included these nephilim offspring. That is why God instructed the Israelis to kill them. They were a desperately wicked people with killing only on their minds. No where else will you ever find the destruction of children.

More about war.. God is NOT a warmonger.. He hates war, but sometimes we are forced into it. Just like World War II. No one wanted to go to war, but sometimes open war is upon us whether we would risk it or not.

More on war here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =3&t=32860[/quote]

Thank you for your response. I wonder with all the violence in the world if God's army didn't fail in killing all the NEPHILIM and their genes are still causing
problems here on earth?

W
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:Thank you for your response. I wonder with all the violence in the world if God's army didn't fail in killing all the NEPHILIM and their genes are still causing
problems here on earth?

W
Apparently after the flood, these fallen angels tried again to make these hybrid races Genesis 6:4. As it states "and also afterward". This is where giants like Goliath came in...

I don't know the answer to your question. It maybe a possibility, but I kind of doubt it.. Interestingly enough however, we are getting numerous reports of women are having sex with alien beings again. These stories mostly come from UFO experiences...

Is it true? I don't know, but it is a possibility..

WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

Gman wrote:
WConn wrote:Thank you for your response. I wonder with all the violence in the world if God's army didn't fail in killing all the NEPHILIM and their genes are still causing
problems here on earth?

W
Apparently after the flood, these fallen angels tried again to make these hybrid races Genesis 6:4. As it states "and also afterward". This is where giants like Goliath came in...

I don't know the answer to your question. It maybe a possibility, but I kind of doubt it.. Interestingly enough however, we are getting numerous reports of women are having sex with alien beings again. These stories mostly come from UFO experiences...

Is it true? I don't know, but it is a possibility..
Well, I have to balk at the idea of women having sex with alien beings. That's usually the story after someone has had a bit too much to drink
W
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:Well, I have to balk at the idea of women having sex with alien beings. That's usually the story after someone has had a bit too much to drink
W
Very well then... ;)

WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

GMan,

Does my unwillingness to accept that human women today are having sex with space aliens, in any way conflict
with my views on the literal bible? Are you saying that perhaps those "angels" who impregnated human women years ago
were from outer space? I find it easier to believe the writings of the Bible from thousands of years ago
than believing that space aliens are stopping off at earth for a quickie.

W
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

W,

I wouldn't worry about Nephilim or any of that. At least not at this time in your search. Those are theories based on vague scriptures references. Could there be something to them? Perhaps, but it really isn't the issue you are dealing with.

There are some things in the bible, that if true, are difficult to believe. Miracles per se. And as you mentioned, these killings. These are the hard sayings of the Bible. One can even google "hard sayings of the Bible." I hope we can help you through your search for these answers.

Anytime someone ask a question such as yours, of course I'd love to just open up my mind and pour that understanding into their head. And, although we can perhaps point you in the right direction, truth is never transmitted this way.
I also have to ask, "what is the motive of the question?" Is there a sincere desire to know more about this incredible book. Or, is there an antagonistic skepticism that is fueling the questioning. Only you know your motives. I have been a Christian many years and still have questions regarding this incredible book. There are many things I have yet to wrap my mind around. But I know from experience that in many areas where I lacked understanding, I now have it. And I continue to grow in understanding. But, only as I seek with sincerity and a teachable heart. My own antagonistic endeavors have only led to frustration and dead ends. It is no wonder that this incredible book says that, "God resist the proud, and gives grace to the humble."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

jlay wrote:W,

I
I also have to ask, "what is the motive of the question?" Is there a sincere desire to know more about this incredible book. Or, is there an antagonistic skepticism that is fueling the questioning. Only you know your motives. I have been a Christian many years and still have questions regarding this incredible book. There are many things I have yet to wrap my mind around. But I know from experience that in many areas where I lacked understanding, I now have it. And I continue to grow in understanding. But, only as I seek with sincerity and a teachable heart. My own antagonistic endeavors have only led to frustration and dead ends. It is no wonder that this incredible book says that, "God resist the proud, and gives grace to the humble."
As I said in another response to you, my questions are sincere. I admit that I approach many things from a pessimistic point of view, just my nature. I want to know the truth and sometimes finding the truth is difficult. I was on a jury once and guess who was the holdout. I needed more information and had to be convinced of one's guilt before I would render a verdict.

Thank you for your responses.

W
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

WConn wrote:GMan,

Does my unwillingness to accept that human women today are having sex with space aliens, in any way conflict
with my views on the literal bible? Are you saying that perhaps those "angels" who impregnated human women years ago
were from outer space? I find it easier to believe the writings of the Bible from thousands of years ago

W
Some view the texts as fallen angels and others not.. The owner of this website "godandscience" does not believe that angels and man had intercourse.

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/nephilim.html

I happen to believe differently about it. Does that make my interpretation right and others not? I don't know.. I see a better fit with fallen angels, whatever someone else believes is their choice. Not mine... So go for it.

WConn
Established Member

Post by WConn »

Gman wrote:
WConn wrote:GMan,

W
Some view the texts as fallen angels and others not.. The owner of this website "godandscience" does not believe that angels and man had intercourse.

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/nephilim.html

I happen to believe differently about it. Does that make my interpretation right and others not? I don't know.. I see a better fit with fallen angels, whatever someone else believes is their choice. Not mine... So go for it.
My friend, we all have different beliefs. The ability to agree to disagree without malice is the key. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if they were the fallen angels or Hells Angels. I find some things more difficult to believe than others, right now I am trying to believe in God and get a handle on the validity of the Bible. I am convinced that some parts were divinely inspired, not so sure about others. I will continue to study, read and learn.

W
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

WConn, did you see this article at the main site? http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibletru.html

I know there are many threads on this board that discuss violence in the OT, and the literal aspect vs figurative language - and all those issues - too. I'll try to find some of them and post them here.

Here is one:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... t=violence

Here's another: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... t=violence
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis