Ardi - Ardipithecus ramidus

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Ardi - Ardipithecus ramidus

Post by Gman »

It's interesting to see so much emphasis placed on this latest "supposed" common ancestor between humans and chimps and then label it even more important in the history of human evolution than Lucy? Apparently after the Ida debacle some scientists had to redeem themselves and come up with this one. Even though it was first discovered in the early 1990s, apparently now it holds some validity?

As reconstructed from this scrap heap of bones.. And a little imagination..

From this...

To this..

Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... midus.html
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Ardi - Ardipithecus ramidus

Post by jlay »

You just have to love art.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:You just have to love art.
Rembrandt would have been proud... :P

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
CAT
Acquainted Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CAT »

I think they could have made the face a little more human like, you know especially for younger school age students when the indoctrination starts.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

CAT wrote:I think they could have made the face a little more human like, you know especially for younger school age students when the indoctrination starts.
You mean like this??

Anything is possible in fantasy land... Who knows. It could be a possibility..

limerick
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by limerick »

Scrap heap of bones is not an accurate way of describing the find, it was actually a fossilized remains. It could be more important than Lucy as this find is from 4.4 million years ago, whereas Lucy was from about 3.2 million years ago. The scientists involved in this project, worked on these remains for a painstaking 15 years, and had nothing to do with the 'Ida' debacle. In coming up with an impression with what the creature looked like, it takes a lot of study and comparison to other primates, previous and present. Just a question, what do ye guys actually think it is?

(no sarcam, or animosity is intended in this post ;) )
Last edited by limerick on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I need to read up on it, but it's hard to believe that it would be standing that straight up . . . (I didn't think there was any sarcasm or animosity :clap: ).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
touchingcloth

Post by touchingcloth »

cslewislover wrote:I need to read up on it, but it's hard to believe that it would be standing that straight up . . . (I didn't think there was any sarcasm or animosity :clap: ).
It's fairly common to have anatomical drawings done in this way - makes it easier to see the proportion of limbs and what not compared to if it was drawn, say, sat down.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

touchingcloth wrote:
cslewislover wrote:I need to read up on it, but it's hard to believe that it would be standing that straight up . . . (I didn't think there was any sarcasm or animosity :clap: ).
It's fairly common to have anatomical drawings done in this way - makes it easier to see the proportion of limbs and what not compared to if it was drawn, say, sat down.

??? Is said "that" straight up. The creature is standing completely straight like we do. I find that hard to believe. It should be an accurate representation of the data, especially given the skeletal renderings. So, I want to review that.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
touchingcloth

Post by touchingcloth »

cslewislover wrote:
touchingcloth wrote:

??? Is said "that" straight up. The creature is standing completely straight like we do. I find that hard to believe. It should be an accurate representation of the data, especially given the skeletal renderings. So, I want to review that.
I meant it's common to have animals drawn in this manner...regardless of their actual stature (e.g spiders with legs splayed wide, butterflies with wings completely outstretched etc. etc.) as it makes aspects such a limb lengths much more apparent.

As to whether A. ramidus was bipedal to any degree will probably be hard to determine seeing as there is debate as to whether or not A. aferensis (a more modern find) was exclusively bipedal.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

touchingcloth wrote:
cslewislover wrote:
touchingcloth wrote:

I meant it's common to have animals drawn in this manner...regardless of their actual stature (e.g spiders with legs splayed wide, butterflies with wings completely outstretched etc. etc.) as it makes aspects such a limb lengths much more apparent.

As to whether A. ramidus was bipedal to any degree will probably be hard to determine seeing as there is debate as to whether or not A. aferensis (a more modern find) was exclusively bipedal.
I don't think so. Any species involved with possible evolutionary connections to humans is going to be drawn the way scientists believe it actually looked (especially its skeleton), particularly when it comes to its gait. Anything else would be deceptive.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

CAT wrote:I think they could have made the face a little more human like, you know especially for younger school age students when the indoctrination starts.
limerick
Familiar Member

Post by limerick »

I think people are missing the point here, scientists believe that it had the capability to walk upright (albeit for brief periods), whether it did or not, no one can know for sure, but certainly it is a remarkable find giving the era it is from and the fact that it had the capability to walk upright.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8286247.stm
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

ageofknowledge wrote:
:pound: He has some transspecies, transgender issues.
touchingcloth

Post by touchingcloth »

cslewislover wrote: I don't think so. Any species involved with possible evolutionary connections to humans is going to be drawn the way scientists believe it actually looked (especially its skeleton), particularly when it comes to its gait. Anything else would be deceptive.
One of the 11 research articles on A. ramidus in the latest edition of science is about the emergence of upright walking.
I've not got round to reading this one yet...leave some thoughts here if you get a chance to read it.