Worship

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
TradArcher
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Worship

Post by TradArcher »

Hey all.

I have been thinking about the topic of "worship" a lot recently. Specifically what commonly passes for "worship" in my current Church, and most Churches I have ever attended. It seems that the only time given for "worship" is a few songs sung before (or after) a sermon. I understand that singing is not the end all, be all, of worship. However it seems to be the most common type, and in my opinion, (for what it is worth) has great potential to be a wonderful way to worship. With that in mind, very, few "worship" songs have anything to do with "worship." Most worship songs that i can think of, are not focused on God, as would be expected. They all seem very focused on the person. As in, what God can do 'for" me, or "with" me or even what God "has done". For example, in the Hymn "Amazing Grace" (which I love) the overriding theme of the song (Again, in my opinion) is what the person has gained through God's Grace. Whereas the song "God of Wonders" has the theme of being in awe of God's creation and power. I can understand that songs may be trying to "thank" God for His blessings, and that most definitely has its place, even so, it seems to be a completely different action; thanking and worshiping are not the same.

I apologize if that is all gibberish. I had a surprisingly hard time putting that into words. Thoughts? Comments?

Also, I was curious as to how you worship, in public and private? For example, wherever I am, I try to realize (as much as a human can) the power of God, the beauty and complexity of nature, the fact that I am loved, the fact that I can love. These thoughts are jaw dropping to me, In such a way that I can't describe. So, in essence I guess what I do is be "aware" of God. This has had an unexpected side effect. I have started to value life even more. The things that used to be insignificant to me, such as dinner with my family, or getting to see my sister, have become impossibly valuable. I have also started to see beauty in things I never did before, such as my relationships with my friends. I NEVER saw them as anything more then just my friends before, now I see that they are God's Children, God's creation, the subject of His love; Something beautiful. Which makes the fact that I can even call them my friends a blessing. THAT is what feels like worship to me.

Again, I'm sorry if this is nonsensical. I also apologize for my grammar... I've ONLY been speaking the language for the better part of 17 years :ebiggrin:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Worship

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Hi Trad,

Thanks for your post. A lot of what you say resonates with me but perhaps for some different reasons.

The english history of the word worship, is actually just a slight shortening of the word "worthship". It meant simply "to ascribe worth" to someone or something. We use the word today, in the context of most church services to refer to times of singing, perhaps in the charismatic tradition as a time of open verbal praise in which all or most speak out loud their praise of God. It's an element of public and private prayer. Examples of it are drawn from the psalms in the Old Testament, some of which were used in larger contexts in their gatherings and some of which are private expressions of praise, many of which were written by David.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of your observations and questions. I guess the questions I would ask of you to consider would include:

1. What does it say about our view of God when we establish Him or project upon Him a persona of jealousy and then read that word in the context of our worship to where there, almost as a legalistic standard "can't be" any other elements to our worship than giving praise to God? I'm not in any way stating that that isn't an element of worship or a worthy goal at times. Most of the statements about the jealousy of God are drawn from the Old Testament in the context of God's jealousy for his people who were often pursuing idols of other nations. Do you think there is a change in this dynamic for those of us under the New Covenant who have come to a personal relationship and within whom now resides the Holy Spirit who in the past was in a temple made by human hands?

2. I really appreciate what you said about relationship. I think you're onto something there. In fact, I think when we really catch hold of the Love of God in our own personal walks and come to understand just how much God loves us then it is from that position that we're free to love others the way God loves us. If we come from the position that God is distant and holy (which again fits the old testament paragigm of Him being in a temple and not with us intimately) we'll subtly place upon our relationships the same kind of expectations then that we imagine God desires of us. We'll make our love conditional upon how others behave and respond to us.

When you think of the relationships you mention in your post, and how much those relationships are become precious and of "worth" for you, do you sit back and analyze everything including the words and grammar of what they say to you to then figure out if they're loving you in return just right? Why then do we imagine that God is doing that to us? Isn't the spirit within us that raises in praise in whatever context that might be, a form of intangible worship that simply looks upon God as the target of our love and affection? If you had children who were reaching out to love you as their father, would you stop to analyze their words and gestures and then correct them until they "did it right?"

I happen to agree with what you're saying in terms of many elements of modern church worship. I might take it further however. Much of our "worship" corporately is based upon a few people on a stage who then perform for the the majority of people who are relatively passive in an audience. Now, does that mean those in the audience aren't or can't worship? No. I wouldn't go that far. I think there's a heart attitude present and that they can. However, I would suggest that it is very easy to fall into rote repitition to where people just go through the motions singing songs without really connecting with the words, minds racing and thinking about other things etc. I also think that form of "worship" really misses an important element of worship and that is that the God we say we are worshipping who is in residence in our lives and hearts is also in the hearts of those with us in the service (and yes I know not everyone may be saved, but lets set aside that analytical peace of data for a moment and move on.) Much of our worship in the western church is based upon ritual, process and even when we are with other people, it can be done in relative isolation. It's general and doesn't invite personal expressions, personal relations and personal interaction and I think we've lost something very vital in worship when we see it primarily as it is practiced in most churches today.

The fact of the matter is that I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with elements of our worship including us in terms of thanks for what God does for us and how He lives and dwells in us. There's nothing wrong either with what you say, in terms of seeking at times to just worship God in His holiness and to recognize that He transcends us. What I think can be dampening however, is when we begin to imagine that God is sitting there judging His children on how they worship Him and basing his reception of their worship based upon their performance and if they get the words and the motions right. That's not the God I've come to know. He loves us and all issues of performance were resolved in Christ in his incarnation, life, death, resurrection and now his continual intercession before God on our behalf. We're free now to worship God in spirit and in truth without fear as to whether our worship will be acceptable to Him. We are acceptable to Him and Christ and we can worship in that freedom knowing that the God we worship is within us at the same time.

I can say more, but perhaps this is as far as you are asking so I'll leave it there.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
TradArcher
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Worship

Post by TradArcher »

Thanks for your reply, and my apologies for taking so long to respond.

In response to your first point:

I was not trying to imply that the methods commonly used to worship aren't "RIght" or valid. I do think that the "thankfulness" Along with the "Praise" are pefectly acceptable in terms of the personal relationship that we can have under the New Covenant. Now to be honest, I do not know much (if anything) about methods of worship under the Old Covenant. So I cannot draw a comparison on that point.

To your second point:

I really like the analogy you drew between our relationships with people and with God (Although I do understand they are different). Of course I do not judge my friends based on those criteria. I also do not think God judges us based them. I guess my questions is more of a personal one. In the sense that, sometimes, I do not feel that I am worshiping God when all I am doing is giving Him thanks (which, without question, have their place). To me personally, if feels "Wrong" or "Empty". This is not to say that it is wrong for other people. I do however, think that it can be stifling, or lead to a "stale" (For lack of a better word) relationship, when there is no "praise". (Just my opinion, obviously)

I share your opinion out how the western churches tend to worship. I also agree that the spirit, attitude, and even mindset with which we approach our worship has a large effect on how our worship happens. On the subject; in your opinion, how do you think "we" (I) could go about trying to show people how real worship can be? I know it would be something that is very "touchy" with people, with good reason it is a very personal thing, and no one wants their personal "stuff" to be messed with. However, when I look around the Church room during worship time VERY few people seem to be enjoying it, few seem to even KNOW what an amazing thing they have the opportunity to do. It seems to me that the first thing to do is be an example. But how could I further affect change within my church?

Again, thank you for your reply. I would love to hear what else you think of the subject!