Genesis 9:20,21

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Genesis 9:20,21

Post by RickD »

Genesis 9:20,21 Then Noah built an ark to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart:"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done. My question is this: If animal death before Adam's sin is not biblical, and against God's nature, why did the verse say, "The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma"? Did God change His mind after man's fall? After all, isn't animal death cruel? Thanks for your honest replies
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Genesis 9:20,21

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote:Genesis 9:20,21 Then Noah built an ark to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart:"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done. My question is this: If animal death before Adam's sin is not biblical, and against God's nature, why did the verse say, "The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma"? Did God change His mind after man's fall? After all, isn't animal death cruel? Thanks for your honest replies
Rick,

Noah fails when he comes out of the ark. The original 'plan' was for a, what we call "vegetarian" creation. God accepted, when Noah came out of the ark with an offering, that man has indeed used his free will to direct violence against the creation. And let us not forget that there was evil before the Garden. Even if you are YEC and reject this, then you need to answer why man is told to "subdue the earth"... Don't you subdue a threat? Was there some kind of cosmic defect? these are all intriguing questions of which we, as fallible beings, can only speculate.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia