is pot legal? i need help

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
treeschanna510
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

is pot legal? i need help

Post by treeschanna510 »

my boyfriend does pot and im antidrugs i want to help him but i dont know if i should
Last edited by treeschanna510 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byblos
Old School

Re: i need advice

Post by Byblos »

treeschanna510 wrote:my boyfriend does pot and im antidrugs i want to help him but i dont know if i should
If you care about him and you're in a position to help, why would you not?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male

Post by Canuckster1127 »

treeschanna510 wrote:my boyfriend does pot and im antidrugs i want to help him but i dont know if i should
In general, it's very difficult to help anyone who is on drugs if they aren't willing to admit that they have a problem and aren't willing to accept help. It's very common as well for those who are on drugs to manipulate other people's willingness to help them.

If you're against drug use, why are you remaining with someone who doesn't share your values in this important area?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
chance
Familiar Member

Post by chance »

Not really an easy question/situation. I don't smoke pot - but I do like coffee, smoking at times, etc.

"Drugs" are a label created by our government - pot, of all the 'drugs', is the most benign there is and has many medical benefits.

If you see it from a Christian view - where does it say one should not do so? And how is pot any different than wine/alcohol/etc as can be found in the bible?

I know people who take legal drugs (oxy, morphine, etc) to control pain and also folks who take mind altering meds for depression.

Other than pot being illegal - what is your main concern?
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Yes, you should....
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

chance wrote:Not really an easy question/situation. I don't smoke pot - but I do like coffee, smoking at times, etc.

"Drugs" are a label created by our government - pot, of all the 'drugs', is the most benign there is and has many medical benefits.

If you see it from a Christian view - where does it say one should not do so? And how is pot any different than wine/alcohol/etc as can be found in the bible?

I know people who take legal drugs (oxy, morphine, etc) to control pain and also folks who take mind altering meds for depression.

Other than pot being illegal - what is your main concern?
Maybe this?

In 2004, 64% of teens were admitted for treatment for marijuana as their main drug of choice vs. 36% of all other substances including alcohol. Marijuana is addictive, as it meets the criteria for substance dependence established by the American Psychiatric Association including:

Tolerance (needing more of the substance to achieve the same effects)
Withdrawal symptoms, using a drug even in the presence of adverse effects (you smoke even though bad things have happened when you do)
Giving up social, occupational or recreational activities because of substance use (you quit your sports team or job because they get in the way of your drug use.)

http://checkyourself.com/FiveMyths.aspx
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
chance
Familiar Member

Post by chance »

And I can find other sites that say the opposite of what that one does (and ones with a lot more traffic and scientific study).

I guess people find what they are looking for based on their own biases. I don't smoke pot, have no desire too, but I have tried it twice in my 40+ years (and unlike Clinton, I did Inhale LOL).

I have known people, one very close to me over the years, who has smoked pot to alleviate their conditions - and they are not addicted. Whereas others who took legal pills were addicted to them.

MJ is natural (and don't get me started on Hemp, which we should legalize) and is far less addictive or mind altering than many other substances.

Are there issues involved? Sure - just like with many other things.

Education is the key - but to outlaw a plant and people smoking it when it has been shown time and again to have medical benefits? Well, I am sure some big companies who make a profit of sick people love that. If you can't grow a treatment you have to tithe to them to get it....
treeschanna510
Recognized Member

Post by treeschanna510 »

is pot illegal? am i just being overwhelming should i even stay with him even though he said hed try to quite would i get arrested for being an accomplice if we got married omg! please help!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

treeschanna510 wrote:is pot illegal? am i just being overwhelming should i even stay with him even though he said hed try to quite would i get arrested for being an accomplice if we got married omg! please help!
You seem to be making excuses for him while begging for help. Either you think it's wrong and you get him to admit he needs help and attempt to help him, or you can enable him by making asinine excuses as to how benign pot use is. Or you can just leave him.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: is pot legal? i need help

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

treeschanna510 wrote:is pot illegal?
Yes.
treeschanna510 wrote: should i even stay with him even though he said hed try to quite would i get arrested for being an accomplice if we got married omg! please help!
Dump him. He's a Loser with a capital L.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Pot does have bad effects on people. You don't want to be with someone that is addicted to something - be it pot, or alcohol, or anything else.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
treeschanna510
Recognized Member

Post by treeschanna510 »

i nver said it was benign
youngmatt
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by youngmatt »

Yes pot is illegal in most countries except places like Jamaica, and Amsterdam which is in The Netherlands.
Texasmomof3
Acquainted Member

Post by Texasmomof3 »

Yes, pot is illegal, however, it is a misdemeanor in most places now, so if he has a small quantity, you will not be arrested as an accomplice, UNLESS he is selling it, and has larger quantities in his residence or car and you are with him if he is caught with it or selling it. The bigger question is if he respects you enough to value how you feel about it, and not smoke it around you, and not try and entice you to try it. A good relationship has both people being able to respect each others values. I do think that pot should be allowed for people who have terminal illnesses, if it eases their pain. But all of those "medicinal shops" all over California, are a joke. They are just finding a loophole to sell it to anyyone.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Trees, here is a state by state breakdown: http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516 I don't know how up-to-date this is but I hope it helps...

Dan
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia