If Noah's flood was local

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

If Noah's flood was local

Post by Swimmy »

What about people outside the area? Is there any evidence that suggest people just lived in that geographical area at the time?..Since gods punishment was for all mankind how could it only be local?. What about the people in Africa? Since they seem to have the oldest civilizations.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: If Noah's flood was local

Post by RickD »

Swimmy wrote:What about people outside the area? Is there any evidence that suggest people just lived in that geographical area at the time?..Since gods punishment was for all mankind how could it only be local?. What about the people in Africa? Since they seem to have the oldest civilizations.
The old earth local flood theory claims all people lived in one area. The theory claims no people were outside the area that was flooded. The flood would have killed all people, and all animals associated with people. The theory doesn't claim necessarily that all animal life was wiped out. The area that they claim was flooded was near North Africa, or the middle east. That may explain why Africa may seem to have the oldest civilizations, if in fact Africa does. If mankind had spread throughout the globe prior to Noah's flood, the local flood theory would not imo be biblical. As far as evidence that people lived outside the flood area, I'm not sure.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

There are other factors too such as the European Ice Sheet that would have prevented the expansion of humans into the northern areas and others. Regardless, the land was very different back then...

European Ice Sheet

A lot of this is covered in the topic Local Flood vs Global Flood
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Enginseer
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Enginseer »

The aboriginies of Australia. Who have proven to live in Australia for 40 000 years.

There is no evidence that they where ever hit by a flood in the last 6000 years. There are opalized shells in the middle of the outback, yet the geography isn't consistent with a flood 6000 years ago.

Is it possible to have faith in God, but not the people interpreting his word??
Am I an Atheist? Not really.

Am I a Christian? I'd be lying if I said I were.

The truth is I don't consider myself to belong to any isms, ists or anities. Questions to the mysteries of life I can only say I do not know. Yet through insight I set out to cure my ignorance.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

NOt only is that possible but it's vital to know the difference between the two and recognized what is revelation and what is interpretation.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Enginseer
Recognized Member

Post by Enginseer »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
NOt only is that possible but it's vital to know the difference between the two and recognized what is revelation and what is interpretation.
That helps a lot. So many variations and interpretations, how do you know which one, if any is correct? It seems there are many newly formed takes on Christianity that are designed to simply gain followers, rather than search for the truth. All this deviation could have caused a lose in credibility, which would explain why there are so many who have completely given up on faith. I think accepting science and god in one is a step forward however.
Am I an Atheist? Not really.

Am I a Christian? I'd be lying if I said I were.

The truth is I don't consider myself to belong to any isms, ists or anities. Questions to the mysteries of life I can only say I do not know. Yet through insight I set out to cure my ignorance.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Enginseer wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
That helps a lot. So many variations and interpretations, how do you know which one, if any is correct? It seems there are many newly formed takes on Christianity that are designed to simply gain followers, rather than search for the truth. All this deviation could have caused a lose in credibility, which would explain why there are so many who have completely given up on faith. I think accepting science and god in one is a step forward however.
Keep in mind Enginseer that even though in Christianity there are a lot of denominations, we all believe in the most important thing and that is (John 3:16)
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Who have proven to live in Australia for 40 000 years.
OK, Prove it.

Did they dig up a 38,000 B.C. edition of the Rand McNally Atlas?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:
OK, Prove it.

Silly jlay, wikipedia says 40 000 years, so that MUST be correct. Oh, and by the way Enginseer,you'll get along much better in this forum if you don't make statements like the one above. The length of time aborigines have been in Australia has certainly not been "proven".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
jlay wrote:
OK, Prove it.

Silly jlay, wikipedia says 40 000 years, so that MUST be correct. Oh, and by the way Enginseer,you'll get along much better in this forum if you don't make statements like the one above. The length of time aborigines have been in Australia has certainly not been "proven".
Not that I've thoroughly looked into it, but I have no problem with this myself.