Pi

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Pi

Post by CeT-To »

One well-known reference to the value of π is in the Bible:

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it about.
- I Kings 7:23

This refers to a list of specifications for the Temple of Solomon, which was built around 950 BC, and gives the value of π = 3. Even for its day, this was quite an inaccurate figure, as the ancient Egyptians and Mesopotamians are believed to have calculated π as 25/8 = 3.125 before this date.

I saw this while browsing around the internet, you guys have any thoughts?

Thanx heaps! God bless!

CeT-To
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Byblos
Old School

Re: Pi

Post by Byblos »

CeT-To wrote:One well-known reference to the value of π is in the Bible:

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it about.
- I Kings 7:23

This refers to a list of specifications for the Temple of Solomon, which was built around 950 BC, and gives the value of π = 3. Even for its day, this was quite an inaccurate figure, as the ancient Egyptians and Mesopotamians are believed to have calculated π as 25/8 = 3.125 before this date.

I saw this while browsing around the internet, you guys have any thoughts?

Thanx heaps! God bless!

CeT-To
Sure. The Bible is not a math book but since it was penned by prophets who were largely simple folk I find it rather remarkable that it came that close. A further testament to its inspiration.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
coldblood
Recognized Member

Post by coldblood »

It was only a measurement. If the bowl was circular and the measurement accurate, it would have been impossible for it not to have been an approximation of pi.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

coldblood wrote:It was only a measurement. If the bowl was circular and the measurement accurate, it would have been impossible for it not to have been an approximation of pi.
Why was it an approximation Coldblood? Whats wrong with accurate?? :|
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

"If the bowl was circular"

And this is what everything rests upon...if it wasn't a perfect circle then it won't be pi
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

zoegirl wrote:"If the bowl was circular"

And this is what everything rests upon...if it wasn't a perfect circle then it won't be pi
oh so what you are saying is that they didnt get pi wrong, it was just that the circle wasnt ment to be perfect( or it just wasnt perfect) ? hah kinda confused :oops:

coldblood
Recognized Member

Post by coldblood »

CeT-To » The value of pi has an infinite number of decimal places without a repeating pattern. Therefore any attempt to measure pi can only be an approximation. If you are interested, pi carried out to the first 50 decimal places looks like this: 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

LOL ahh yeah thats right ...wow i feel stupid. Sorry guys .. i dunno, i feel like my faith or relationship with Christ has gone a little down these past few days :( my faith feels like it isnt as strong...so with any stupid little thing like that sometimes i get a tad worried :(

Author Anita Meyer
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Author Anita Meyer »

Hello all here, Pi is a mathematical construct that is evident not only in our natural world here on earth, but throughout the entire Universe. Pi literally drove me crazy (just like it did to Max Cohen (Sean Gullette) in the movie Pi) until I finally figured it all for myself. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1sZSCz47w

You might be really interested in this:

http://www.insearchoftheuniversaltruthp ... nation.pdf

Enjoy, Love and Light author Anita Meyer
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Pie does not prove god. (but cats do ROFL LOL CATS ARE AWESOME :lol: )

Also that Pi, is not a very accurate version of the real indexed ratio amount for pie, pie is closer to 3.15(a good aproxximation) than to 3.0 (not so good)

So WOW, a not very great approximation of Pi is in the bible, well I can't say I am surprised, but neither does Pi disprove god.

the lesson of the story, You can be rich in faith and weak in knowledge...But obviously being both would help you a lot. y:O2
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Kristoff, another good example of a rather mocking post.

If you really are here to learn then posts like these have to stop.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

I didn't mean to. Anyway how are cats not awesome?

I just tried to point something out, maybe a simple "i do not see the point of this thread" would of been enough? No mocking involved theire is there?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

So WOW, a not very great approximation of Pi is in the bible, well I can't say I am surprised, but neither does Pi disprove god.
this is a good example of comments that frustrate us. It's rather snarky ("well I'm not surprised the Bible isn't right")...

We want to accord you every possible opportunity to learn from us but these comments (and those attacking you, hint hint everyone here) can frustrate that process.

Would you really expect inexact tools to produce a perfect circle? AS others have pointed out here in this thread, it's still a good approximation.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

zoegirl wrote:...t's rather snarky ("well I'm not surprised the Bible isn't right")...We want to accord you every possible opportunity to learn from us but these[type' of] comments..can frustrate that process...
Would you really expect inexact tools to produce a perfect circle? AS others have pointed out here in this thread, it's still a good approximation.
The Egyptian approximation which was made before according to someone in this thread, was a better one. Although for the people who make it, this probably is a fairly decent answer to the question of Pi(and not pie!) Ok, C Minus (thats passable)
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Question:

Was it meant to be an approximation of Pi? or simply a record of measurement?