Einstein's quotes

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ThankYou
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Einstein's quotes

Post by ThankYou »

You forgot this one:

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this."
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Einstein's quotes

Post by Gabrielman »

ThankYou wrote:You forgot this one:

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this."
Yeah, no one said that Einstein was perfect, or even a Christian. He was a deist. Not even sure why Rich bothered quoting him.... but still, we don't all agree with some things on the main site, maybe you should actually read the board in detail, before making such assumptions. Otherwise you just make yourself look 8-}2
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

ThankYou wrote:You forgot this one:

So . . . your point? There have been many brilliant scientists who disagree with Einstein when it comes to faith. And even if there weren't, it wouldn't matter. People who are wise in their own eyes usually can't see too well.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Let me introduce Kurt Gödel to the thread, Einstein's good friend-

"Kurt Gödel, the preeminent mathematical logician of the twentieth century, is best known for his celebrated Incompleteness Theorems; yet he also had a profound rational theology worthy of serious consideration. “The world is rational,” (Wang, 1996: 316) asserted Gödel, evoking philosophical theism, “according to which the order of the world reflects the order of the supreme mind governing it” (Yourgrau, 2005: 104-105).

"Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems are an “extraordinary comment on the relationship between the mission of mathematics and the manner in which it formulates its deductions” (Mazur, 2006: 3-4). They have been interpreted as a limitation on rationality, since a possible semantics for the results is that, in any axiomatic and consistent system capable of doing arithmetic, there are truths that cannot be proved within the system. This has very profound philosophical implications that shattered the hopes of many a previous mathematician and philosopher, including thinkers of the stature of David Hilbert, Bertrand Russell, and Ludwig Wittgenstein. Frustration notwithstanding, “[Gödel's] works on the limits of logic have inspired awe, respect, endless development and speculation among mathematicians, and indeed among all theoretical scientists” (Davis, 2002: 22).

"Among the theoretical scientists influenced by Gödel was his friend Albert Einstein. Between the years 1940 and 1955 they developed an intimate relationship as colleagues at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. According to colleague Oskar Morgenstern, the co-founder of Game Theory, when Einstein had lost enthusiasm for his own work, he went to his office “just to have the privilege of walking home with Kurt Gödel” (Wang, 1996: 57). Indeed, according to Institute colleague and physicist Freeman Dyson (the discoverer of combinatorial proofs of Ramanujan's famous partition identities), Gödel was “the only one who walked and talked on equal terms with Einstein” (Dyson, 1993: 161). However, I would argue that Gödel's intellect was in many ways subtler than Einstein's, in philosophy and perhaps even in physics.

"An important aspect of Gödel's theology — one that has been greatly overlooked by those studying his works — is that not only was he a theist but a personalist; not a pantheist as some apologetic thinkers may portray him. To be precise, he rejected the notion that God was impersonal, as God was for Einstein. Einstein believed in “Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of men” (Einstein, 1929). Gödel in turn thought “Einstein's religion [was] more abstract, like Spinoza and Indian philosophy. Spinoza's god is less than a person; mine is more than a person; because God can play the role of a person” (Wang, 1996: 152). This is significant since a god who lacks the ability to “play the role of a person” would obviously lack the property of omnipotence and thus violate a defining property universally accepted as pertaining to God. Therefore if God existed, reasoned Gödel, then He must at least be able to play the role of a person. The question for Gödel was how to determine the truth value of the antecedent in the previous statement.

Another perspective.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Author Anita Meyer
Familiar Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Author Anita Meyer »

Despite what many may think of Einstein's religious beliefs. He played a significant role in the founding of the State of Israel. It can be argued that G-d used his intellect for this very purpose.

It was Albert Einstein who introduced (and gave) the theory of relativity, which gave us the formula for manufacturing the atomic bomb in WWII. It was promised (guaranteed) to Einstein that if he helped produce the atomic bomb (which was the Manhattan project), Israel would become a nation after WWII. And this is exactly what transpired. :)
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Author Anita Meyer wrote:Despite what many may think of Einstein's religious beliefs. He played a significant role in the founding of the State of Israel. It can be argued that G-d used his intellect for this very purpose.

It was Albert Einstein who introduced (and gave) the theory of relativity, which gave us the formula for manufacturing the atomic bomb in WWII. It was promised (guaranteed) to Einstein that if he helped produce the atomic bomb (which was the Manhattan project), Israel would become a nation after WWII. And this is exactly what transpired. :)
Testify! All praise the atom bomb!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

Author Anita Meyer wrote:Despite what many may think of Einstein's religious beliefs. He played a significant role in the founding of the State of Israel. It can be argued that G-d used his intellect for this very purpose.

WOW...thats screwed up LOL hmmm any reason einstine had interest in Isreal?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Yea Einstein was a MOSLEM. He definitely had no good reason to do it than his love for those people! :lol: (ps he actually had a vested interest)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kristoffer wrote:Yea Einstein was a MOSLEM. He definitely had no good reason to do it than his love for those people! :lol: (ps he actually had a vested interest)
Einstein was Jewish.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Yes i know, i was making a joke. Because he is Jewish then he obviously has a vested interest in the creation of the state of israel.(is this prounced=IS-ray-El?)
ElShamah
Familiar Member

Post by ElShamah »

this is wonderful :

http://www.christiscreator.com/evolutionclass101.htm

Einstein's Gulf:

On the one side, we find the real world of objects, events, and tensional spacetime relations. On the other side, we find fully abstract representations that contain information about the material world. That articulate information is abstracted first by our senses, secondarily by our bodily actions, and tertiarily by our ability to use one or more particular languages . Between the two realms we find what appears to be an uncrossable gulf.