Wisdom

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Wisdom

Post by CeT-To »

I was just reading The Proverbs..and something hit me :S is Wisdom >> Jesus? :esurprised:
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Wisdom

Post by Telstra Robs »

What chapter/verse?
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Proverbs chapter 8-9
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

CeT-To wrote:I was just reading The Proverbs..and something hit me :S is Wisdom >> Jesus? :esurprised:
I would agree, especially the latter part of chapter 8. In chapter 9, wisdom (Jesus) is compared to folly (atheism).

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Telstra Robs
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Telstra Robs »

The book of Proverbs mentions wisdom a lot. From my understanding, if a fool is someone, who among other traits, will not follow God and will not listen to reason, then a wise person would be someone who would follow God, which involves the sacrifice of Jesus.

For if everyone was unwise and all rejected the great gift Jesus has given us, what would the sacrifice have done?

I don't think it says that wisdom is more important, but I believe that it implies they are equally important. For not only do we need the sacrifice of Jesus to have our sins washed away, but we need to believe that sacrifice happened and is legitimate.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

The Proverbs 9:4-6 really make it clear who Wisdom his even though its portrayed in a female manner...hmm i wonder why tho ..i guess God obviously does have feminin characteristics.

Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
CeT-To wrote:I was just reading The Proverbs..and something hit me :S is Wisdom >> Jesus? :esurprised:
I would agree, especially the latter part of chapter 8. In chapter 9, wisdom (Jesus) is compared to folly (atheism).

FL
Sorry but not quite exactly, there are many follies. One of the wisest things is to admit foolishness, funny how things are.

It seems to me that people can be masters of different kinds of wisdom and abject fools at other kinds. Dawkins for instance, he's a whizz when he talks about his own science...But not so much when about other stuff. ;)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Kristoffer wrote:Sorry but not quite exactly, there are many follies.
You are correct in the worldly sense only.

From a biblical perspective, there are only 2 choices: God or folly. In other words: Wisdom or Muhammad, Wisdom or Buddha, Wisdom or Krishna, Wisdom or atheism, Wisdom or agnosticism...Wisdom, or the many varieties of Folly. Jesus said ''I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except by me.'' (John 14:6) Choose Kristus or choose some kind of folly.
Kristoffer wrote: One of the wisest things is to admit foolishness, funny how things are.
Yes, agreed. You have made a big step in admitting that you are a fool. May your wisdom not stop there!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

I can't remember where I read this, but does GOD have seven spirits, wisdom being one of them?
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

sinnerbybirth wrote:I can't remember where I read this, but does GOD have seven spirits, wisdom being one of them?
That would be in a Epistle(those letters) if I remember correctly...It is more of a Metaphor for the gifts that come from the holy spirit again I am just remembering from the top of the head so take what I put with a pinch of salt.
diane
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by diane »

Our Sunday school curriculum is currently taking us through Proverbs. That book is a wealth of wisdom! I've read it in the past, but I had no idea it could offer so much strength and assistance. I've begun reading a passage every morning and I'm finding it keeps me focused on making conscious choices throughout the day. I'm more deliberate about what I say and do, making sure that I make wise decisions in every action that I take.

[Mod Edit: I took out the link to curriculum sales, and the other you posted. We do not accept spam such as this on the board! Please see the board purpose and guidelines. Further spams will result in banning.]
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

diane wrote:Our Sunday school curriculum is currently taking us through Proverbs. That book is a wealth of wisdom! I've read it in the past, but I had no idea it could offer so much strength and assistance. I've begun reading a passage every morning and I'm finding it keeps me focused on making conscious choices throughout the day. I'm more deliberate about what I say and do, making sure that I make wise decisions in every action that I take.
Proverbs is a book full - FULL - of condensed wisdom. Every proverb references - or is explained by - some other part of your Bible.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

sinnerbybirth wrote:I can't remember where I read this, but does GOD have seven spirits, wisdom being one of them?
That would be Isaiah 11:2
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

Ahh, you picked up on it, eh?
In chapter 8 it is talking about wisdom as we normally understand it: the ability to make a proper or consistent conclusion leading to consistent action based upon knowledge of truth. Wisdom as we normally understand it is an attribute of God and here in it's glorious beauty is personified and described in a feminine sense. Then, just as Jesus, who was and is the infinite "God the Son" and the Creator, described Himself as the truth, He can also be said to be Wisdom.
Verses 22-26 seem to possibly be a more direct reference to God the Son (Jesus) however, if you mean that every verse in chapter 8 and part of 9 is a direct reference to Jesus, you would be wrong: it is a direct reference to wisdom just like it says.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Thanks Truthman. :D