If Jesus lived in a time and place...

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
smiley
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

If Jesus lived in a time and place...

Post by smiley »

"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
humblesmurph
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: If Jesus lived in a time and place...

Post by humblesmurph »

:lol: Now that's funny.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I don't get it. y:-?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

humblesmurph wrote::lol: Now that's funny.

Why in the world is that funny, HS, it's certainly not accurate! :esurprised:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

zoegirl wrote:
humblesmurph wrote::lol: Now that's funny.

Why in the world is that funny, HS, it's certainly not accurate! :esurprised:

I haven't read the bible in a long time, but I saw The Passions a couple of years ago. Thinking about Jesus going Columbine on those who tried to put him on a cross caused me to chuckle.

It's not accurate? How would Jesus have reacted had there been guns available to him in 32 A.D.?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

ah, you completely missed my point. Even if the obama cartoon isn't accurate (although I would debate that)....it is still witty....

If accuracy is going to be the judge of humor, then the Jesus cartoon certainly isn't accruate....I look at that and scratch my head because Jesus wouldn't do that....He willingly gave Himself....wouldn't matter if there were guns (what, you think the Creator of the universe couldn't "go Columbine?")

so better apply the test equally ;)

Let's face it....you idn't find it funny (the obama cartoon) because you were offended at the political statement. But it's still witty
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

zoegirl wrote:ah, you completely missed my point. Even if the obama cartoon isn't accurate (although I would debate that)....it is still witty....

If accuracy is going to be the judge of humor, then the Jesus cartoon certainly isn't accruate....I look at that and scratch my head because Jesus wouldn't do that....He willingly gave Himself....wouldn't matter if there were guns (what, you think the Creator of the universe couldn't "go Columbine?")

Let's face it....you idn't find it funny (the obama cartoon) because you were offended at the political statement. But it's still witty
I didn't miss your point. I just don't know how you could know what Jesus would or wouldn't do in different circumstances.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

humblesmurph wrote:
zoegirl wrote:ah, you completely missed my point. Even if the obama cartoon isn't accurate (although I would debate that)....it is still witty....

I didn't miss your point. I just don't know how you could know what Jesus would or wouldn't do in different circumstances.
Um, yeah, we can....it's called Scripture....it describes His character. Wouldn't matter if there were guns, the point is He went willingly, He gave Himself.

Now, can I look at that and give a little chuckle...eh....point is, it you are goign to claim accuracy as your test for humor then this fails.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

humblesmurph wrote:

This cartoon is presumably premised on Christian belief. Therefore, to be in accord with Christian theology.

As Zoegirl mentions, it is by no means accurate of Christian theology which says Christ willingly stepped down from His divine rights, to be born in the form of a man and live out his life here with the purpose of redeeming humanity.

To say Jesus would go Columbine if there were guns, to save himself, throws Christian belief and theology out the window altogether. Christ could have just chosen the easier option of not bothering coming down to Earth (or calling upon a legion of angels) if self-preservation was his desire.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

smiley wrote:Image
Your sense of humour and words elsewhere appear to betray your profile.

Shouldn't you be updating your profile already? ;)
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

Kurieuo wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Is being humble not saying what one thinks? Is being humble only agreeing with you? The point of the cartoon may or may not have been that Jesus was just a man, and if he could have defended himself, he would have. I didn't draw or post the cartoon so I don't know. I'm not saying that Jesus was just a man, I'm just saying that I found the cartoon funny. Respectfully, I think it best if we drop this line of discussion.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote:
humblesmurph wrote:

Um, yeah, we can....it's called Scripture....it describes His character. Wouldn't matter if there were guns, the point is He went willingly, He gave Himself.

Now, can I look at that and give a little chuckle...eh....point is, it you are goign to claim accuracy as your test for humor then this fails.

Here is what Jesus said about this during the event:

Mat 26:52-56, "But Jesus said to him, "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?

"54 How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?"

"55 In that hour Jesus said to the multitudes, "Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? I sat daily with you, teaching in the temple, and you did not seize Me. 56 But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled." Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled." NKJV

The cartoon is a mockery of Christ's of own words, purpose, plan. At least the penality was paid for such to make a cartoon like this and be forgiven. If this was of Mohamed - his followers would be seeking someones demise.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

humblesmurph wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Is being humble not saying what one thinks? Is being humble only agreeing with you? The point of the cartoon may or may not have been that Jesus was just a man, and if he could have defended himself, he would have. I didn't draw or post the cartoon so I don't know. I'm not saying that Jesus was just a man, I'm just saying that I found the cartoon funny. Respectfully, I think it best if we drop this line of discussion.
Just clarifying that my comments here were directed at smiley.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to me that the cartoon is making a point of what those Christians who today argue for "just war" or justification of violence for self-defence make Christ look to be. It in effect, looks back upon the words of Christ, his teachings and his actions then and says that if He were ministering in the context of his earthly ministry today and accepted the way that some christians seek to justify violence and advocate "just war" that Jesus would act in a way consistent with how he is shown in this cartoon.

It seems to me the object is not ridicule of Christ, but rather an illustration of how Christ's followers represent Christ as being when they advocate positions so radically departed from what Christ indeed lived, modelled and taught in His earthly ministry.

I wouldn't have seen the point so well not so long ago. I actually think it makes a point. If I were still holding my old positions I suspect I might not be so quick to see the point being made.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
humblesmurph
Established Member

Post by humblesmurph »

Kurieuo wrote:
humblesmurph wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Just clarifying that my comments here were directed at smiley.
oops.