Is hell real? Or is it only made to keep people in fear?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Troublemakingteen
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Is hell real? Or is it only made to keep people in fear?

Post by Troublemakingteen »

I am not sure if hell is real, and at the same time, I am hoping that it isn't. I mean I simply do not understand how you could burn the human soul, which is a mass of energy.
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Is hell real? Or is it only made to keep people in fear?

Post by CeT-To »

Sprirtual fire? Possible like the one that was on the bush in front of Moses yet was not consuming it ...not sure tho! Maybe some one else has a better answer but good question though!
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Many, if not most of the time the bible refers to Hell, it uses symbolic language. Fire has a symbolic meaning both good and bad. Whether the bible uses literal explanations, figurative, or symbolic, the bible is clear that there is a place called Hell.
So, the question is, do you trust the bible as the Word of God? If so, then you can begin to understand better the reason for Hell, and most importantly how to never wind up there.

Also, what makes you think a human soul is a mass of energy?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
coldblood
Recognized Member

Post by coldblood »

http://www.av1611.org/hell.html

This website says there 162 references about hell in the New Testament and that 70 of them are attributed to Jesus. It says Jesus spoke about hell more than any other subject.

I am not sure what counts as a reference, exactly, and I haven’t counted. The actual word “hell” occurs only twenty-some times in the New Testament, but there are phrases such as “lake of fire,” “everlasting fire,” etc.

Nonetheless, even if there are only half as many references as claimed, it does make hell sound like a very important subject.

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jlay wrote:Many, if not most of the time the bible refers to Hell, it uses symbolic language. Fire has a symbolic meaning both good and bad. Whether the bible uses literal explanations, figurative, or symbolic, the bible is clear that there is a place called Hell.

So, the question is, do you trust the bible as the Word of God? If so, then you can begin to understand better the reason for Hell, and most importantly how to never wind up there...
Fire indeed has a symbolic meaning as used in the bible. Since the bible speaks aboout a place called hell and the language used such as fire, weeping, gnashing, darkness, coldness, trembling, etc when referring to the place, paints a word picture of a domain one should avoid...

I find it puzzling when the bible uses words like light and darkness, people seem to understand the symbolism these represent; however, not so in regards to words used to describe hell. For some, the word meanings become literal unbending cement.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Troublemakingteen
Acquainted Member

Post by Troublemakingteen »

jlay- I know that god exists but at the same time I am open to the idea that Christianity could be wrong. But I do believe that god is real and know for a fact Jesus died on the cross.
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

It seems to me that he is asking for a "scientific explanation" of how fire can cause harm to a spiritual object. After all, why else is this in the "God and Science" sub-forum?

Of course, no one can answer that because we don't know what a soul is "made of".
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

smiley wrote:It seems to me that he is asking for a "scientific explanation" of how fire can cause harm to a spiritual object. After all, why else is this in the "God and Science" sub-forum?

Of course, no one can answer that because we don't know what a soul is "made of".
Even in this mortal life, a person's soul can indeed burn with fiery passion at times.

So yes - the soul can burn in many ways in hell as well...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Trucker
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Trucker »

Troublemakingteen wrote:Is hell real? Or is it only made to keep people in fear?
Um... Pretty much the entire point of most religion is to keep people in fear, in order for those at the top of the church to retain their power. Scientology is perhaps the most blatant example (it is essentially a cult); but Catholicism isn't far behind, and nor are the rest.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Trucker wrote:
Troublemakingteen wrote:Is hell real? Or is it only made to keep people in fear?
Um... Pretty much the entire point of most religion is to keep people in fear, in order for those at the top of the church to retain their power. Scientology is perhaps the most blatant example (it is essentially a cult); but Catholicism isn't far behind, and nor are the rest.
You have a 36 month old child, daughter. She uses the kitchen draws to climb to the counter, seeing the red hot burner on the stove she reaches for it. You have been talking on the cell phone and did not notice her antics but her movement toward the flaming burner catches your eye. You shout at the top of your lungs, NO!!! Stop!!!, drop the cell phone and run snatching her away from harm. Now for the past 24+ months prior to this event, You repeatedly warned her not to climb, not to touch a hot stove, not to run into the busy streets.

Question: Was your prior admonishments later proven by your demonstration done in order keep your daughter in fear, just in order for you at the top of to retain your power and over her?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Jenks703
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Jenks703 »

Hell is a real place. There have been many encounters with it in NDE's or Near Death Experiences. I would suggest reading "23 Minutes In Hell" or you may research hellish encounters from NDE's and a ton of info will come up. What's interesting is that you find other religions that describe a very "hellish" account upon NDE's. Now, I only believe in the one true Hell that is spoken of in the Bible. So, what these other religions are describing could be that they are landing in Hell because they never accepted Jesus. I hope that they learn from their experience.
As far as the soul burning, it can burn or be tortured repetitively in Hell I would think. You can't die though you would be praying for it due to the enormous pain and suffering, but you're already dead! Wouldn't that be hell??
I think you are looking at in a physical sense, which is normal and expected of the human mind. But keep in mind that Heaven and Hell are spiritual dwellings (metaphysics). They are "not of this earth". However, to help your reasoning in believing a soul could burn, remember that energy can neither be created or destroyed by earthly physics, so consider your soul burning and transforming to ash or whatever other substance you could turn into, and then being completely morphed back to a soul yet to be re-burned in Hell. Doesn't sound very pleasing, huh?
Whether you can burn a soul or what it is made of is irrelevant. The point you should be concerned with is never going to Hell to find out.
Hope this helps.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Bryan's (B.W.) testimony of hell is much better than anyone's I have ever read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piHZkKFdsFc

And Bryan is an author of the subject too..

But if you really want hell, you can make your life a living hell right now too.. No death required.... ;)

Don't play games with your life..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8